Marantz 2215b faceplate edge repair - sand/guillotine etc

Hi,

I have a marantz 2215b receiver in excellent condition.
Except for a little dink to the corner edge of the faceplate.

It occurred to me that, if i were to remove 1 mm from each edge of the faceplate it would remove tne ding on tne corner point.

The options would be to sandpaper this 1mm off or go to a metal shop and have it guillitined off.

Any thoughts on this?

Will it sand easily/quickly?
Will guillitining crack it or is aluminium soft enough?

There isn’t a covering against oxidisation?
I’m not going to end up with oxidised edges?

Any help/info/experiences appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have a marantz 2215b receiver in excellent condition.
Except for a little dink to the corner edge of the faceplate.

It occurred to me that, if i were to remove 1 mm from each edge of the faceplate it would remove tne ding on tne corner point.

The options would be to sandpaper this 1mm off or go to a metal shop and have it guillitined off.

Any thoughts on this?

There isn’t a covering against oxidisation?
I’m not going to end up with oxidised edges?

Any help/info/experiences appreciated.

Thanks.
A photo would help to answer you.

The face is anodized, so whatever you do will remove the anodized finish from the edges. Maybe if you intend to put it in a wood case, it won’t matter. Or maybe if you put it in a wood case as-is, the blemish won’t stand out.

Sanding will be a real slow uneven process. Shearing will crack and chip the anodizing and look worst than when you started. I did something similar with a Kenwood face plate.But used a mill and only took off what was necessary to remove the blemish. A few thousandths of and inch.

This was a brave move by me, I had a Marantz 1060 with quite a few dinks in the top edge and the right hand side on the faceplate.
I removed the faceplate from the amp and decided to try to remove the dinks using my bench grider, it had a fine griding stone on it.
It worked but left the faceplate edge with a rough finish, used fine emery paper to finish it off, and was very pleased with end result, cant tell the plate ever had any dinks in it, well pleased.
Try this at your own risk thou..Lol
Rob

Last edited:
Agree ..... And if you have access to a milling machine you can assure a nice straight edge. Then finish with the emery paper.

jk

This was a brave move by me, I had a Marantz 1060 with quite a few dinks in the top edge and the right hand side on the faceplate.
I removed the faceplate from the amp and decided to try to remove the dinks using my bench grider, it had a fine griding stone on it.
It worked but left the faceplate edge with a rough finish, used fine emery paper to finish it off, and was very pleased with end result, cant tell the plate ever had any dinks in it, well pleased.
Try this at your own risk thou..Lol
Rob

I took a file to the edges of a Marantz faceplate once. Someone had already 'shortened' them with a saw or grinder, and done a ghastly job, so I was confident I wouldn't make them look worse. Got them squared-off pretty nicely, but got lucky and picked-up another faceplate real reasonable later. I may still have the filed one around here somewhere. Old thread about it here.

2230 left front corner.jpg faceplate_left end.jpg left corner squared-off.jpg

I've filed a few Marantz faceplates with minor issues. I then used Aluminum wheel clear-coat on the edges only after taping. They end up looking better than the dings. The trick is to NOT concentrate on the bad area, you must take off an even amount all the way across.

Thanks for all the replies.

I think it might be more hastle that it’s worth.
It is only a few mm on the corner.
Not very noticeable.

Though i think tne few mm of corner edge that has been affected {ground off by bein scraped in the post} has
oxidised.

I have poor eyesight, so can only see the damage using a phone camera.
Of course, using a camera makes the 3mm of damage look like a plouged highway.

Maybe just smoothing it off with a scotch pad and treating with nail varnish.
Pictures coming.

22hTKYr

Get that wood case. The faceplate gets recessed and small blemishes don’t catch the eye. And it makes a beautiful receiver even more so.

Back
Top Bottom