Marantz 2216 - SOLVED (All inputs & both channels hum\buzz)

Excellent repair. Personally, if the power board was suspect, probably would have desoldered everything (with pictures) and then cleaned the board thoroughly then retinned and rebuilt with all new components. As mentioned, its the hardest working board in the whole amp, and everything depends on it, so all new parts would give me piece of mind plus reliability to stabilize voltages for at least another 20 years.

Yes, I should have cleaned the board better. I've seen recently where someone put a board in a baggie with acetone and it came out perfectly clean, that's nice.

I didn't have too many more replacement parts for the power supply at the time, but did order the rest of the parts and have completed the power supply. Everything is replaced but two larger resistors. But I also used some expensive caps that weren't needed for power supply, doh.

You have KLF-20s ??
Lucky guy. They are the cream of the crop from what i hear. I hope to get a set before i kick over.
I have put elna silmic 2's in a lot of power supplies, but i am going to redo
my 2325 in Nichicon PW's and go a bit bigger like Leestereo is doing to his. I am curious to see what difference it will make. It just does not seam to have the guts it should on the top end.

The acetone/bag idea sounds like a good idea.
ccheath is a nice guy and one smart cookie!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yes, when I have caps that are better than whats needed, but that's all I have? PW's and KZ's? In they go! LOL, it's only a few bucks and I'm only doing repairs for myself and friends\neighbors, so if it gets better caps than needed, oh well. I attached a pic of how bad the board looks with nice caps and old glue - yeech.

I think it was Leestereos' thread with the pic of the board in the baggie, board came out like new.

Yeah, I've had the KLF-20's for awhile, probably my fav set of speakers. I put alot of cabinet work into them, so I suppose I have the investment effect going on, but they are nice. About 15lbs heavier with all the extra bracing I put in. They don't get used much, kinda large for the rooms in my house.

Attachments

• Marantz 2216 P800b.jpg
    Marantz 2216 P800b.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 68
Make the blade/scraper . You'll be glad you did. Its my go to tool.

You must have talked to Morey James. He's the top Klipsch Guru. I have the 2 way 5.5's and they really talk. I can see how the cabinets fall apart. they will knock pictures off the walls.

With the use this receiver has seen, you may just want to do the tone/preamp boards

You must have talked to Morey James. He's the top Klipsch Guru. I have the 2 way 5.5's and they really talk. I can see how the cabinets fall apart. they will knock pictures off the walls.

With the use this receiver has seen, you may just want to do the tone/preamp boards

I've thought about it - just might do that.

Last shipment of caps for the 2216 are here - must be slow due to xmas? I was missing the filter caps and a few of the really small caps.
At any rate, I'll finish it today. I'll show pics, all caps on power supply, amp and eq board will be new. And some on the tuner board that aren't in the tuner path.DSCF1764.JPG

Well, I still didn't get all the caps I needed. I thought I had them all ordered but... so there are some of those blue drop caps still in there. Here's some pics, I'm gonna call the 2216 done for now (tuner won't break into stereo tho). Some boards have new diodes and P700 has new transistors as well. Some new resistors here and there. And those big orange caps - Someone said to just leave those? Heh, I still have some learning to do.
So, the 2216 sounds great - especially compared to how it started. I'd have to recommend it to anyone wanting a simple unit to start learning on. I didn't remove any of the boards, worked with them all in place.
I also put LED's in it - I knew it would be bright, can't say as I really like it. The neighbor who I was going to give this to (to replace his Marantz SR-something 80's crap that had a channel drop out) decided that he wanted to graduate up to a multichannel unit, so this 2216 might stay here for awhile. Not sure, I'm kinda full up on receivers.
Thanks for all the advice guys, it turned out great. Except for those bright LEDs, whew, maybe they will grow on me.Marantz 2216b Final.jpg

Attachments

• Marantz 2216 P400 Final.jpg
    Marantz 2216 P400 Final.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Marantz 2216 P700 Final.jpg
    Marantz 2216 P700 Final.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Marantz 2216 P800 Final.jpg
    Marantz 2216 P800 Final.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 78
  • Marantz 2216 Meter Final.jpg
    Marantz 2216 Meter Final.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Marantz 2216 P100 Final.jpg
    Marantz 2216 P100 Final.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Marantz 2216a Final.jpg
    Marantz 2216a Final.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Marantz 2216c Final.jpg
    Marantz 2216c Final.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Nice work. Yes, they do look a little bright. Maybe another layer or thicker vellum will tone them down a bit.

You bet, Moray got me going on those KLF-20's. It took me awhile but I have them whooped into shape. There's a thread here about most of the rebuild of those. I bet they are 20 or 25 lbs heavier than when I started. Two things I didn't do with them: get the Ti midrange and didn't play with the port lengths.

Hey KT, didn't you tell me I could use those 1uf films in place of any of those blue tants', if I could get them to fit? There were some really small value bluedrop tants that I didn't order. Actually, some ceramics I didn't have either, so they are still in there.
I need to learn the "rules of cap selection" as I think those small caps are ripple filters and can be replaced with larger value, such as the 1uf film I mentioned? It sure would make it easier if I were allowed to bump up all those small values.
upload_2015-12-6_8-34-44.png

For the normal restoration, replacing ceramic caps is really not necessary, but if you wish to, you can change sig path caps to the Cog type. This is an audio upgrade that can be heard and noticed, from what i have been reading. Patfont, who still can hear good, has done some crazy experiments with capacitors, and would be a guy to check with if your looking to go all out.

Anytime you can replace a Electrolytic with a film (wima, panasonic,kemet, etc) it would be considered an upgrade.

The blue teardrops i have ran into on the bigger 2275/2325 units i have used Wima Films in place of. "Get them out of there" is what i have been told.

You will find a lot of opinions about capacitors, but the consensus is , any tant is a bad tant.

Here is an interesting thread about the vishay mtk1822 that i have read excellent things about.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=42756.0

Cog's are recommended for the signal path. I just ordered some to try on my 2325, thanks to Ben:thumbsup: (Leestereo)

Last edited:
For the normal restoration, replacing ceramic caps is really not necessary, but if you wish to, you can change sig path caps to the Cog type. This is an audio upgrade that can be heard and noticed, from what i have been reading. Patfont, who still can hear good, has done some crazy experiments with capacitors, and would be a guy to check with if your looking to go all out.

Anytime you can replace a Electrolytic with a film (wima, panasonic,kemet, etc) it would be considered an upgrade.

The blue teardrops i have ran into on the bigger 2275/2325 units i have used Wima Films in place of. "Get them out of there" is what i have been told.

You will find a lot of opinions about capacitors, but the consensus is , any tant is a bad tant.

Here is an interesting thread about the vishay mtk1822 that i have read excellent things about.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=42756.0

Cog's are recommended for the signal path. I just ordered some to try on my 2325, thanks to Ben:thumbsup: (Leestereo)

I did read most of that, and so have ordered a good selection of the C0G's. Also pulled the few bluedrop tants - found one bad one for sure, so it must be accurate that the blue drops should be replaced. Replaced them with Wima's (ordered a few more of those also - kinda pricy).

Yes they are. Its too bad panasonic didn't make the little 63v 4.7 and 3.3 ones like the 1uf's you got. I bought some kemets 4.7 cheaper, but they look like they are cheap fakes, but they are not.
You will find your Panasonics handy for the 1uf electrolytics
It sounds like your on the right path.
Its nice to know that you are learning everything you can and are going to do the job best way you can.. :thumbsup:

I am auditioning this 2216 now, she sounds really good. Very nice phono circuit. Power nice and full at the 12-1 o'clock position. Dingman's done a lovely job on her. I even like the LEDs as they are, definitely bright but not annoying. Currently pushing some Polk Audio Monitor 4s, will try with some additional speakers this weekend.

Goodnight,

I am new to this page and I am with a project to restore a Marantz 2216, I have seen the photos that I publish of the amplification stage (P700) and I have seen that the legs of the transistors have a plastic sleeve, I would like to ask you if this was with The equipment was originally or was it later? buy the equipment on eBay and the amplification stage is with many missing components, I did not have any capacitor, the transistors are not original and do not have that cover, I am with a project to rebuild it and I do not know if it is necessary to place a cover and if if necessary I do not know what material should be used.
Stay tuned to your comments

I am new to this page and I am with a project to restore a Marantz 2216
Welcome to AK, it would be best to start a new thread for help on your 2216 restore. This site is a great help from people worldwide who are willing to share their knowledge because of their love and respect for the equipment. HiFiengine can provide you with the user manual and service manual for your unit and with your own thread you will be more likely to get help quickly. Also, pictures are extremely helpful on this site. I am just a beginner, so I will leave your answers to the experts. Good luck and start your own thread!

This unit came back to me with some DC on outputs issue. Possibly related to a storm\lightening but not sure.

"did see a very strong DC spike at startup" on left channel.

This unit came back to me with some DC on outputs issue. Possibly related to a storm\lightening but not sure.

"did see a very strong DC spike at startup" on left channel.

Maybe it will look like this one inside....
iqDu9su.jpg

T5GkCgY.jpg

Just kiddin!

LOL

Bob

No kidding, that's impressive right there. That cap had some serious failure.
IN fact, I couldn't even tell that it was a cap before it... blew.

Back
Top Bottom