Marantz 2220 selector switch problem

Andy Hi-Fi

I've been doing a restoration on a 2220, I upgraded the P-800 power supply, P-500 pre-amp and P-900 phono boards so far, anyway I'm no sure if I noticed this before but when I switch from phono to fm or from am to fm on selector switch I hear a loud click in the left channel only, you hear it even if the balance is all the way to the right channel and volume all the way down, phono to aux or aux to phono no problem only to fm. It's not a big deal but annoying. Has anyone noticed this one before, also you hear it through the headphones also in left channel only.

I would start with a good Deoxit cleaning, multiple times while working the switch through it's various positions.

Maybe there some DC on the line.

Maybe the phono P900 amp is leaky. check the output of the p900.

luck
Robin

I did the Deoxit cleaning a few times and click is still there , strange it's only in left channel, could it be in the FM board I believe the P-200, maybe leaky caps?

I restored two 2220's, and if I remember well, on both of them there was a SMALL ticking sound on both channels when switching to FM. Just a small short "tick" sound, nothing that made me worry.

Pop noise on selector switches comes from DC going through the switch and it is present only when the switch is moved from source to another, usually is a leaking capacitor, using an oscilloscope see the signal going through and if you see a dc component, follow it through the circuit to find the defective capacitor, it could come from the previous stage or the next one, you can also use a voltmeter in the low voltage scale, just be sure that there is no signal going through and the volume control is all the way down.

Pop noise on selector switches comes from DC going through the switch and it is present only when the switch is moved from source to another, usually is a leaking capacitor, using an oscilloscope see the signal going through and if you see a dc component, follow it through the circuit to find the defective capacitor, it could come from the previous stage or the next one, you can also use a voltmeter in the low voltage scale, just be sure that there is no signal going through and the volume control is all the way down.

Funny you posted today. I was going through a 2220 today and I notice the same symptoms as the OP. A slight click when switching to FM on the left channel only. I am working on troubleshooting the issue with the oscilloscope.

I've been doing a restoration on a 2220, I upgraded the P-800 power supply, P-500 pre-amp and P-900 phono boards so far, anyway I'm no sure if I noticed this before but when I switch from phono to fm or from am to fm on selector switch I hear a loud click in the left channel only, you hear it even if the balance is all the way to the right channel and volume all the way down, phono to aux or aux to phono no problem only to fm. It's not a big deal but annoying. Has anyone noticed this one before, also you hear it through the headphones also in left channel only.
Did you ever figure out the source of the click?

Sorry for the late post,I have not looked in to it, I've been restoring a 2240, but yeah only clicks from going to am to fm on slector switch.

Back
Top Bottom