Marantz 2220 vs Sansui 551

CALLTHECOPS

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey all - been reading all the great info here for a while, finally decided to create an account so I can an ask this question.

Right now I have a Sansui 551 but have the opportunity to swap it (plus some cash) for a (very recently serviced by a reliable tech) Marantz 2220. What can I expect from the Marantz that would be better or worse than the Sansui? I'm not too familiar with vintage Marantz (grew up in a pioneer house) - but I do like the sound of the Sansui. It's on the other side of town so it's not really practical for me to bring my speakers and turntable (pioneer pl12d) to test it all out together. Plus the room would be very different anyway.

Right now I am using (I know, I know) a pair of early Bose 401's which I happen to think sound great in my space - but am on the hunt for something else eventually.

Any thoughts on these two? Thanks so much!

Last edited:
One thing I should clarify.. I will be using this almost exclusively with my turntable. So mostly wondering how the phono stage compares between the two and maybe even speaker recommendations. Because if they are functionally similar and I can't expect a dramatic change in feeling between them -I'm somewhat inclined to go with the Marantz based solely on looks. That might not be a great reason, but it is what it is. :D

Thanks.

I love my lil 2220.
But that all subjective to room acoustics, speakers, etc...

I’m running mine on Dynaco speakers

Back
Top Bottom