Marantz 2220B Restoration. Follow Along!

Start with a toothbrush dipped in 99% isopropyl and scrub. Remove crud with rags and q-tips. For some build up between the components. Target those areas with your qtips. The amount of pressure is trial and error. Have your qtips moist but not dripping and when they start getting to fuzzy, grab a new one. Take your time and if there is any fuzz accumulation, stop and a grab a clean, dry paint brush or your toothbrush.

Last edited:
Issue Solved-Parts Are In!

The issue I had with some clicking/popping sounds at high volume was resolved by adjusting the idle current and offset. It was out of spec and adjustments were needed.

The phono stage sounds wonderful. I find it more detailed than previously and still have some replacements to do.

The mailman just dropped off my Mouser order and I have all the parts needed to complete this restore by the end of the week. Stay tuned!!

Tone Amp Board Complete

Tone board cleaned, glue and flux removed. Recapped with 4 Wima, 5 Elna Silmic II and 2 Nichicon Muse.

Pots cleaned with Deoxit, dim bulb passed and now back to some more critical listening.

Attachments

• IMG_1882.jpg
    IMG_1882.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 196
I hope to have some parts today and I need to pick up some Isopropyl for board cleaning.

I didn't get a picture of the lighting before but you can see by the removed vellum it was greenish. Vellum was replaced behind both the signal meter and dial returning a nice Marantz blue. All lamps were replaced while in there whether they needed it or not including the dial pointer lamp..

That's great! I have the same model and would like to replace the vellum behind my signal meter. How did you get to the paper? Did you remove the entire plastic box that contains it? I hate to mess with the tuner string - it seems to be right in the way. Thanks!!

Yes, you have to remove the box that is around it. Remove the screws and there is a tab on the bottom of the box that holds it into place. The meter stays put.

For the tuner assembly, I held it with one hand and then removed the screws with the other hand. Once removed you can slide the tuner assembly lower and clamp it the frame. I used a small pair of vice grips.

Nope, 2 screws on top and the tab on the bottom hold it in. Then just take your time and you can maneuver it out of the way. Vellum is stuck to the back of the meter. Pull it off, trace it on the new piece of vellum, leaving a cut out at the top for the wires. Some two sided tape along the extreme edges. The housing also helps to secure the vellum.

Update and Question???

I am busy working on the receiver and hope to be close to complete when the site comes back online.

I have decided to pull the amp board out of the receiver in order to give it a good cleaning and rebuild.

I have not heard any noise from the receiver that indicates the differential pairs are leaky. Would do you think? Should I replace them anyways?

I am busy working on the receiver and hope to be close to complete when the site comes back online.

I have decided to pull the amp board out of the receiver in order to give it a good cleaning and rebuild.

I have not heard any noise from the receiver that indicates the differential pairs are leaky. Would do you think? Should I replace them anyways?

If you do replace them remember that they need to be HFE matched pairs.

I have been lurking and reminiscing of when I recapped my 2216 which I gave to my brother as a birthday gift. It was my first recap and I must say you are doing way better than I did!

I am in the home stretch. I pulled the amp board and the filter caps. Cleaned up the chassis with 600 grit sandpaper. Cleaned the amp board, removed glue and flux. Recapped with all Elna Silmics. I replaced the differential pairs and gain matched them all. The outputs were pulled, cleaned and new thermal paste applied. Check out the before pic of the left side heat sink---bone dry!!

Reassembled everything and need to complete the connections to the filter caps.

Attachments

• IMG_1888.JPG
    IMG_1888.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1895.JPG
    IMG_1895.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1896.JPG
    IMG_1896.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1898.JPG
    IMG_1898.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_1899.JPG
    IMG_1899.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1900.JPG
    IMG_1900.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1901.JPG
    IMG_1901.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 248
Nope, 2 screws on top and the tab on the bottom hold it in. Then just take your time and you can maneuver it out of the way. Vellum is stuck to the back of the meter. Pull it off, trace it on the new piece of vellum, leaving a cut out at the top for the wires. Some two sided tape along the extreme edges. The housing also helps to secure the vellum.
THANKS - worked great. I just went slow and had no issues replacing vellum on my 2220B meter. I attached a couple of pictures in case it helps anyone else. photo4.JPGphoto5.JPGphoto4.JPGphoto5.JPG

I'm curious if you will restring the tuner! My 2220B string is not in the best shape; it has trouble tuning at the lower end of the scale. I think the string slips on the thumbwheel at that spot for some reason. I wonder how to clean and lube the tuner and the pulleys . . .

I'm curious if you will restring the tuner! My 2220B string is not in the best shape; it has trouble tuning at the lower end of the scale. I think the string slips on the thumbwheel at that spot for some reason. I wonder how to clean and lube the tuner and the pulleys . . .
I solved this for now with a tip I found on another forum. I got some Elmer's Spray Adhesive, sprayed some in a cup, dabbed a little across the string with a Q tip and now the tuner string seems to work great across the entire dial. It just added a little tack and that's all it seemed to need. Just thought I'd add that in case it helps anybody!

I have just come out of my Turkey coma after the Canadian Thanksgiving and realized I didn't post any pics of the finished face. It was a good candidate for a restore and cleaned up nice. Just a small scratch around the top left bolt from the previous owner. Even better, it sounds great!! I don't claim to have a golden ear, but it does seem more detailed.

Attachments

• IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1915.JPG
    IMG_1915.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1916.JPG
    IMG_1916.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 152
Lookin' good and sounding great - very nice! Good work. A belated Happy Thanksgiving to ya too!

Thank you for the nice thread.

Can you please, tell me what transistors you used for replacement of the original ones?

Thanks in advance.

This is a great thread. Thanks for the documentation. I have a semi working (turns on) 2220B coming to me soon. Its dirtier than yours and is in non working condition as it sits but I plan to recap the whole thing this summer and see if that doesn't help it out. According to the owner it turns on but doesn't have any output to the speakers. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom