Marantz 2230 noise

Finkle

I just picked up a Marantz 2230 for $150 CDN. I thought the price was perhaps a little high but it was local and in nice shape. However I just hooked it up and there is a very slight buzz or hum from the unit. Of more concern, I notice quite a bit of noise through the headphone socket. Anyone know if this might be an easy and inexpensive fix?

Cheers,
Garth

Is the buzz actually audible from the receiver itself? Or are you talking about the sound coming from the speakers? If you are hearing a buzz coming from the receiver itself, that would be the transformer I would think. If it is just the audio you are talking about, maybe you have a bad power supply capacitor.

Yes, the buzz is from the receiver itself. Does this mean the transformer is going or this normal. My naim 32.5/90 combo is dead silent and I don't recall any other amps I've owned producing any sound from the unit. It also is emitting a rather noxious smell. I think he must have used something to clean it with and it is off-gassing when it warms up.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Garth

The buzz is likely coming from the power transformer. There are screws on the transformer. You may be able to reduce the buzz by tightening them.

As for the headphone noise, squirt Caig DeoxIT D5 inside the jack, and insert the headphone plug about 30-50 times. This should clear away the oxidation and make for much cleaner sound.

Best,

Fred Longworth

I think this is not the norm for Marantz, because their transformers are usually very quiet. I had another receiver (not Marantz) with a buzzing transformer and I observed a similar problem of getting buzzing showing up in the audio.

Back
Top Bottom