Marantz 2230 rebuild "C4" C0G's and 4 pole capacitors

The Jensen Application Note mentioned is for a single pole power supply, i.e., there is only a B+ voltage, and the load is connected to the B+ and ground. This is the type of power supply found in amplifiers with capacitor-coupled output stages, e.g., a Marantz 2230.

The Marantz 140 uses a split power supply with B+ and B- voltage rails and the ground is connected to the -ve terminal of the B+ capacitor and the +ve terminal of the B- capacitor.

Hi All, thanks for your comments Leestereo, I am still a little unsure of the connections on my 140 for two 4 pole caps, but I came across the attached schematic on the Mundorf web site. This connection of two 4 pole caps looks like it would suit my 140 amp, am I on the right track?

Tony

Attachments

• Mundorf MLytic 4pin Cap vs 2 Pin.pdf
    13.4 KB · Views: 199
Hi Tony,

Yes, the Mundorf MLytic schematic in your post is for a double pole (i.e., +ve and -ve rails) power supply.

Hi Tony,

Yes, the Mundorf MLytic schematic in your post is for a double pole (i.e., +ve and -ve rails) power supply.

Thanks Leestereo, just curious, when referring to the schematic can you clarify what the Z1 to Z4 are all about between the capacitors and ground?

Tony

The Z1 to Z4 refers to the impedance of the connections to the capacitors. The schematic states that "there is no direct connection between GND In and GND Main" except through Z1 to Z4. Note that there must be connection between the capacitors within the 4-pole capacitor itself.

If you are considering redoing the power supply capacitors in the 140, I suggest that you consider this possibility as well (no affiliation): http://www.ebay.com/itm/221151885040?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The Z1 to Z4 refers to the impedance of the connections to the capacitors. The schematic states that "there is no direct connection between GND In and GND Main" except through Z1 to Z4. Note that there must be connection between the capacitors within the 4-pole capacitor itself.

If you are considering redoing the power supply capacitors in the 140, I suggest that you consider this possibility as well (no affiliation): http://www.ebay.com/itm/221151885040?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks Leestereo, I think the power board looks like a good option, but I am curious as to why you think the new power supply would be a worthwhile option, is it the ultra fast diodes? From what I can see, the 4 pole capacitors would not fit onto this board without modification to the board.

Tony

Tony: the PS board suggestion was not meant for the 4-pole capacitors but rather as an alternative that uses 4 capacitors in a paired configuration for the B+ and B- rails (which is similar to using two 4-poled capacitors). The desired feature of these diodes is their "soft recovery" and high capacity.

Tony: the PS board suggestion was not meant for the 4-pole capacitors but rather as an alternative that uses 4 capacitors in a paired configuration for the B+ and B- rails (which is similar to using two 4-poled capacitors). The desired feature of these diodes is their "soft recovery" and high capacity.

I see, yes, that will require serious consideration, would 4 x Mundorf M-Lytic AG Series 2 Pole 15,000µF x 63 VDC capacitors work? As I already have two of these I would just need to add another two. So from a cost perspective this seems to be a great option, thank you again for your thoughts on this.

Tony

Thanks Pat for taking the time to post pics and info on your 2230 upgrade. Looks great! Can't wait to try this on my 2230 as I go through it back to front restoring/upgrading it.

Edit: Sorry for bumping an old thread, but just got into Marantz and was looking for tips on restoring my 2230. This thread popped up a quick search. Seems like there are a lot of helpful people on this board and I've subscribed. I look forward to talking with you guys more in the future as I get my restore underway and find more pieces to add to my collection.

Last edited:
I did not, but you can. There should be 2 e-caps on that board, C554 and C559.

10uf and 4.7uf

Time to finish this up......

*Preamp Board is done
*LED's installed, I only use LED's for the dial lights, all bi-pins are replaced the tuning ind. bulb is replaced, and I use a fuse style for the meter as I feel it has a more even light distribution for that location. Added new velum.

Great work on the preamp board. But if want to use just one type of cap on this board what would you suggest. With the exception of the Silmic 2 one, I am referring to all the white ones

If you are referring to the 2 white film caps, they were stock film caps which do not need to be replaced. However many like to upgrade this location which I have done here. Let me know if that answers your question as it is not that clear to me what you are asking.

Great work on the preamp board. But if want to use just one type of cap on this board what would you suggest. With the exception of the Silmic 2 one, I am referring to all the white ones

So here is a photo of the stock board. There are 6X1uf 2X3.3uf and 2X0.47uf white Elna caps. It looks like you used 4 different types of caps to replace these. Is there one type to use to replace these (matching origional values of course).

Attachments

• phono board 002.jpg
    phono board 002.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 120
You may use what ever you choose, this is what I decided upon through many listening sessions. Many people like to use Panny FC, Wima MKS2 (for the 3.3uf) and upgrades using Panny stacked films.

hope this helps.

So here is a photo of the stock board. There are 6X1uf 2X3.3uf and 2X0.47uf white Elna caps. It looks like you used 4 different types of caps to replace these. Is there one type to use to replace these (matching origional values of course).

Getting ready to dive in and start a 2230 rebuild.

Will be using C0G ceramics on the Amp and phono boards

and

Shooting out the Mundorf vs Jensen 4 pole capacitors for a place in the 2230!

I was considering a 10,000uf 4 pole for my 2230 for the main filter . Do you consider this overkill or is 4700uf quite adequate?

Back
Top Bottom