Marantz 2230 recap & LED conversion

2230 cap questions...source for the chassis oil/paper caps and a SM typo

Ping, CAT, BK, et al,

If this is covered in the thread, I missed it

Is replacing the chassis oil/paper caps generally considered to be not an issue? Have not noticed much mention of these things.

Are "oil/paper" a relatively short lived cap? especially compared to ceramic or most of the other types. Correct or not?

Have been looking for the:

C005-006 "OIL/PAPER" 0.020uF 600 VDC
C010...... "OIL/PAPER" 0.033uF 800 VAC

Good sources for oil/paper? The tube orientated "guitar amp" and "vintage radio" web sites have NOS oil/paper caps CLOSE to the needed values, but seem too low on the voltage spec. Saw some new manufacture, but I think the wrong range of values and pricey.

NOS, "new old stock" seems a poor choice if these caps degrade faster with years.

Can another type of cap be substituted for oil/paper safely, considering the almost direct connection to line voltage?

What are the characteristics of oil/paper that make them ideal for filtering voltage/amperage coming into the chassis?

Reading about failure modes for different cap types...flash over, tendency to fail "open", short out or increase resistance...is that a factor in using oil/paper?

-----------------------

TYPO in my 2230 SM as to Cap C001. "C001" is listed as a "Elect." but NO value is given, just a blank space. Found "C001" on the schematic between the inputs to the "Signal Strength Meter" leads. Value on the schematic is shown as "3 3uF" 6volt. Is that 3.3 or 33uF?

Typo, but though it worth asking.

Thanks.
Pete

C005 and C006 are across the rectifier diodes and are connected to the secondary of the transformer. They are not subjected to line voltage. I wouldn't worry too much about them, but if you want to replace them I think a good quality 250V film cap would be fine.

C010 is the 'snubber' across the power switch contacts to prevent arcing. An 800VAC cap is important here if you are in a country that has 220VAC mains power. In the US, you can use a 300VAC interference suppressor X1 type.

The cap across the SS meter is usually 33uF, the voltage is very low so 6V is probably enough.

Tom

Time for an update, how's that 2230 coming? I'm recapping my other receiver right now, a Harmon Kardon 330A. I don't think it will ever catch the 2230 though...

Time for an update, how's that 2230 coming? I'm recapping my other receiver right now, a Harmon Kardon 330A. I don't think it will ever catch the 2230 though...

Yes you are quite right, it is time for an update. Long overdue I must add!

How do you mean catch, as in progress or sound quality? I'm not familiar with Harmon Kardon equipment at all. :no: Either way I hope you are having fun doing it. :)

I am currently saving up for the caps for the phono board at the moment. I have no audio funds after Christmas. :no: There is a couple of recommendations that I have been given, so I want to get them all to shoot them out and find which works best with what. :yes:

I will keep the thread up to date as things progress, albeit slowly at the moment. Please accept my apologies.

Without using vinyl, I am very impressed with using alternative sources for sound. So far there is no looking back! :smoke:

Catch up with in sound quality. I don't think the 330A is quite the pinnacle of HK's solid state receivers. But I love the look and the sound is pretty decent. May get somewhat better as I go through it, will see... The 2230 has a pretty good lead on it though.

Know what you mean about recovering from xmas, seems like it takes 'til about mid december to catch up from the last one:)

That said, I just went out and replaced most of the caps in the 330's preamp and amp and it did take a step up. The Harman Kardons are nice sounding amps too, the 330A is a smaller simpler affair than the 2230 and has been my garage receiver. My dad has a similar one and it sounded a good bit better so I decided I'd recap mine and see if it helped. So far so good... The HK 330A looks like this:
harmankardonstereoreceivermodel330a_2.jpg

Last edited:
That's a nice looking piece of kit. Have you got a thread on what you are doing? I'd be interested to see inside and know a bit more about it.

I don't know if it merits a thread but I'd be glad to post some pics. Heck maybe I'll start a thread, I do have a few questions about it...

A couple months late to the post but I was reading this in preparation for my own 2230 recap.

Looking at your pictures in the first post I noticed some things in your receiver that mine doesn't have. The first being attached to the back wall, is that the universal voltage block? If so, that might explain why I don't have that. The other thing....in the pictures showing the coupling caps installed in the receiver, just in front of those to the right side is a panel of 4 fuses. Any idea what those are for? Mine doesn't have those.....are they important?

thanks for any info!

A couple months late to the post but I was reading this in preparation for my own 2230 recap.

Looking at your pictures in the first post I noticed some things in your receiver that mine doesn't have. The first being attached to the back wall, is that the universal voltage block? If so, that might explain why I don't have that. The other thing....in the pictures showing the coupling caps installed in the receiver, just in front of those to the right side is a panel of 4 fuses. Any idea what those are for? Mine doesn't have those.....are they important?

thanks for any info!

Hi evan_wd, not late at all. I still haven't recapped the phono board as yet. I need to get my arse into gear and get them ordered. My 2230 is a UK spec unit hence the voltage regulator. Again I guess the fuses were a UK thing, I wouldn't have thought you need them, I would imagine that some safety body decided that the British customers needed a fuse board.

Where are you from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that's good news, thanks for relieving my concern. I'm from the U.S. Minnesota more precisely. Now that I know I'm not missing anything important I must struggle with deciding what capacitors I want to use and how to best undertake the cleaning.... she's gonna need a lot of that. A couple pictures in this thread here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=506257

Hopefully it will go smoother than I plan.....

No not yet, was looking to do the resistors and diodes on the pre amp too, I'm not sure if they are the 2SC458's or not. Also some fast recovery soft start ones. Things have been a little tight of late, so I am saving up. :)

I must say though the 2230 has settled in really nicely, I cannot bring myself to take it out of rotation at the moment. :music:

I haven't started mine yet other than p.s. caps. Not quite done with my HK330 either but I'm almost done with my friend's Fisher 440T... too much fun to be had:)

I do have most or all of the caps in hand for the 2230 and will reference this thread with gratitude when I get to it, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
PCB 750 - C760 question

Sorry to jump into this discussion 6 months late, but I just found the thread. I'm wondering about the reason that C760 (.1/200) wasn't replaced. I'd have thought that Vishay V730P or GenCap would be nice here. Or possibly Panasonic ECQ or ECW? Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Sorry to jump into this discussion 6 months late, but I just found the thread. I'm wondering about the reason that C760 (.1/200) wasn't replaced. I'd have thought that Vishay V730P or GenCap would be nice here. Or possibly Panasonic ECQ or ECW? Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

It is already a film cap and not in the signal path so no worries here.

upgrading the 2230 power supply

Patfont, thanks for the information relative to c760. I guess I need to look back at the schematic since I thought it was in the signal path - my error (old age setting in...)

How about upgrades to the power supply? I'm thinking of replacing H804 & H805 with UF4005 diodes. Does this make sense? H806 and H807 are Zeners so I doubt they benefit from replacement.

Also I'm thinking about upping the size of the caps in the p/s, as per:

C803 from 470/63 to 1000/63 (Panasonic FC)
C804 and C806 from 330/50 to 680/50 (Nichicon PM)
I would leave C805 at 470/16 and C807 at 3.3/50

What say ye?

Patfont, thanks for the information relative to c760. I guess I need to look back at the schematic since I thought it was in the signal path - my error (old age setting in...)

How about upgrades to the power supply? I'm thinking of replacing H804 & H805 with UF4005 diodes. Does this make sense? H806 and H807 are Zeners so I doubt they benefit from replacement.

Also I'm thinking about upping the size of the caps in the p/s, as per:

C803 from 470/63 to 1000/63 (Panasonic FC)
C804 and C806 from 330/50 to 680/50 (Nichicon PM)
I would leave C805 at 470/16 and C807 at 3.3/50

What say ye?

You may want to PM Leestereo, he has done this work on the upgraded P/S for the 1060, which is simuliar to the 2230. See if he will give you his list. Or just look at this:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=489269

Back
Top Bottom