Marantz 2230 red stereo led question about polarity

Beamer302

Hello I am installing red LEDs for my stereo indicator . This is a 2230 . There are two in series . I mounted them and the light gets bright then dim out quickly . How are these installed in the tiny circuit board ? In what orientation? Which lead is what polarity ? The fat lead is ? The thin lead is ? Thanks for any help .

Last edited:
987463A2-5CFE-4733-8691-7D01CDDC7C5D.jpeg

Looking down from the front and starting on the left they need to be installed positive/negative/positive/negative. BTW you also don’t need red colored lenses. The red is built into the acrylic dial face. But it also won’t hurt.

Merry Christmas
Mike

"Gets bright and then dims.." sounds like too much current. You do need a resistor to replace a bulb with LEDs to limit the current.

I get my LED’s from Randy at irebuildmarantz.com. I have always just put them in without regard to polarity. They have always worked flawlessly. I assumed because it was ac voltage that it didn’t matter. Maybe I didn’t understand what was going on and just got lucky with my placement.:dunno:

Thanks for the replies guys . I am sure other people will appreciate this info as well . The rating of the original incandescent bulbs (2) are 6.3 volt 40mA for the stereo indicator . The other indicator/function lights are 8 volt 40mA . I will have a go at these LEDs again .

I put in the LEDs as mentioned in post # 2 . There definitely is an orientation to adhere to for this install .They look great . I tried to take a picture but the colors are all wrong . Trust me they look nice and red and not too bright . I'm happy .

I get my LED’s from Randy at irebuildmarantz.com. I have always just put them in without regard to polarity. They have always worked flawlessly. I assumed because it was ac voltage that it didn’t matter. Maybe I didn’t understand what was going on and just got lucky with my placement.:dunno:

While most LEDs are DC thus polarity sensitive ,Randy buys special LEDs that will run on AC and are not polarity sensitive.

Merry Christmas!!

Bob

I got these from irebuildmarantz . I tested them on my test meter and they had continuity in both directions , unlike any diode I've ever seen. They only worked in the Marantz when they were installed in the orientation mentioned in a previous post . This is /was on the stereo indicator . I really don't have any idea why the polarity should matter in non polarity LEDs .

They only worked in the Marantz when they were installed in the orientation mentioned in a previous post

It should not have made a difference. The two stereo lamps in the 2230/2245/2270 models are wired in series. And plain LED's have to have polarity oriented correctly. But modern LED lamp assemblies have a rectifier bridge and a resistor built in, so they can be installed in any direction with no further modification needed.

The fat lead is ? The thin lead is ?

Some trivia for you: The fat lead comes directly from the LED. The thin lead is the tiny resistor that is soldered to the other lead on the LED. They are soldered and assembled by hand.

Great info Thanks . Great LEDs. I have everything soldered in and all the lights ( lamps ) look great . I taped an small extra vellum strip on the backside of the plastic dial over the indicator lights. Doubling the vellum for those lights . I use #48 vellum. It knocked the brightness just enough to make those warm white LEDs look fantastic .

Last edited:
Figured I'd piggy back on this thread as my questions are similar. So mine's a 2285b and I have LEDS from 2 popular sources. Both sets have a 4mm and a 4.5mm LED. So which one goes in the Stereo light and which one for the Dolby light? Looking at the rubber mount and the OEM bulbs removed, they are the same size physically? So why 2 different suppliers have 2 different size LEDS? FWIW the 4.5mm fits nice and tight in the socket. The 4mm is loose and will need a little more shrink wrap tubing to build it up.

So which is which?

Also the OEM Dolby light lamp wire seems to have a resistor, or some other component, in shrink tubing in series on the lead. Should I leave that in the circuit or remove it?

I realize the Dolby light will never light up as I don't have the module.
Just asking.

TIA!!

P.S the Dial Point is 3mm and ploarized in both sets so I have that one figured out. Anything to watch out for in a 2285B?

I use red 5mm LEDs from Digikey in both positions.
The 5mm fits in nice and snug.
470ohm 1/2 w resistor in series in Dolby and 2Kohm resistor in series for Stereo.
Any resistors previously installed by factory for incandescent are removed.

I also use a 3mm red for the dial pointer with a 470ohm in series with it.

Bob

I use red 5mm LEDs from Digikey in both positions.
The 5mm fits in nice and snug.
470ohm 1/2 w resistor in series in Dolby and 2Kohm resistor in series for Stereo.
Any resistors previously installed by factory for incandescent are removed.

I also use a 3mm red for the dial pointer with a 470ohm in series with it.

Bob

Thank you Bob!
I appreciate the information.

Old posts, but I'll try asking here. It seems the stereo lamp on my 2230 is out.

Is this fuse style bulb that I can pop in...similar to the dial backlight lamps?

Or, will I need to desolder the existing and solder a new one in. Hoping for the former....my soldering skills are crude at best.

There are two bi-pin lamps for the 2230 stereo indicator. They are wired in series. They will require desoldering the old and soldering in the new.

There are two bi-pin lamps for the 2230 stereo indicator. They are wired in series. They will require desoldering the old and soldering in the new.

Thanks...I was afraid of that.

Do you happen to know the part number and where to source the lamps?

I have the original manual, but no parts list.

Thanks again- Jeff

There are many sellers of these lamps. The original incandescent lamps are probably what you are looking for, to match the original lamps. There are red bi-pin LED lamps that give a nice rich red, but it would look out of place with all the other lamps being incandescent.

Back
Top Bottom