Marantz 2230 - test tones

vrobec

Marantz 2230:

On 50Hz, 1000Hz, 2000Hz, 5000Hz, 10000 Hz, 12000Hz the left and the right channel sounds the same.
On 100Hz the right channel is a bit louder than the left. I switched the speakers, but the right channel remains louder on 100Hz. That means the speakers are ok, the problem is in Marantz's left channel.
Can you help me solving this issue, and do you know what causing this?

The other thing is that, it seems to me the little 2216 has more clear high frequencies.

PS: Sorry for my English

Last edited:
I’m thinking if it’s only a small difference and only in a narrow band of the spectrum that it won’t noticeably affect the sound. Curious what others think.
Steve

Hard to check by ear because of room effects. What's the signal source? Signal generator, phone, test CD, test record? If there's really a problem I'd think it might affect the sound because it would affect the balance at those frequencies. If the problem is a bad cap or some circuit problem, there could be more distortion or some other weirdness. Often equipment has to get pretty bad before we notice a problem, worse if the problem comes on very slowly as is common with vintage equipment. Has it ever been serviced or rebuilt?

Thanks for answering! The source is a DAC, files are on NAS. The receivers circuits are untouched, no recap or any other interventions (only the lights are upgraded with proper LED's besides that the potmeters, and switches are deoxited).

Somewhere on the planet there may be a 2230 that's operating perfectly with its original caps (and other parts), but the odds are high that this isn't it. I'm betting, if put on the test bench, you'd find it was past time for service.

Back
Top Bottom