Marantz 2230 Tuner Alignment

I recently aquired a 2230. Everything works and all light bulbs function. The tuner however reads about 3/4" to the right of the station it is tuned to. I also get some weird noises ocasionally when moving the tuner through the dial. So I believe the tuner needs to be aligned.

Who would be the person to send it to? I dont trust the local tech. All they really do is warranty work for current machines.

What does it cost to have this done?

What else should be done while at the shop having the tuner aligned?

Ron

Send that to Terry DeWick. He is a sponsor of the site and a banner ad is at the bottom of the main page.

He tweaked two tuners for me and I can pull in Chattanooga from Knoxville on the best one.

Highly recommended! ! ! ! (regardless of where in the country you are)

You need to say at least what part of the country you're in. There may well be a good tuner tech close to you. You're tuner is pretty much standard for it's time and will present no problems for a good tech. The "noise" you're hearing is actually corrosion on the "wiper clips" in the vari-cap. If you're curious you'll find several threads here on it. While it's very irritating and makes it hard to tune and noisy... it's not permanant. One low tech solution that might help some is run the tuner from one end of the dial (back and forth) MANY times. This may help in the short term.

Ron

I would have a tech check the physical travel of the dial pointer.
I have seen many of these onlyp needing to have the dial pointer and string moved so the travel at each end of the scale is equal.
Realigning the tuner will still leave you with the problem of the dial pointer not making it to one of the extremes.

Back
Top Bottom