marantz 2230 ?

kerouacknew

Hi,
I was at my local hock shop yesterday and found a marantz 2230 for $99can. I have always wanted one of these so picked it up. Seemed like a good deal.
I hooked it up this morning and encountered a couple problems. The am tuner seems to work alright but the fm one just picks up mostly static.
Also, could not get any sound when i hooked up my Cd through the aux. I tried it through the tape and it works through. Wow, the sound is pretty amazing. Am also wondering about the high and low filters. What do they do exactly?
Any help would be appreciated. I love this receiver.
Thanks
shawn
I posted this in the wrong forum originally(vintage solid state)sorry.

I found one at an estate sale for $8. It is a really nice sounding reciever. The high and low filters were designed to filter out low (turntable rumble) and highs (tape hiss). They are not much use with CDs. Regarding the FM tuner, are you sure that the antennae you are using is connected and works?

Hey,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Now $8 thats a deal. I bet u couldn't stop smiling all the way home.
Not sure about the antenna. Do i have to hook one up? i thought the plastic thing on the back was the antenna or is that the am one?
Sorry im new.

That's the AM antenna.

kerouacknew said:
Hey,
Not sure about the antenna. Do i have to hook one up? i thought the plastic thing on the back was the antenna or is that the am one?
Sorry im new.
There are rome "push and insert" connections for the antenna. Give them a try.

You can use a simple wire dipold antenna or connect speaker wire to the antenna connections and pull apart the opposite end so that the antenna forms a "Y".

kerouacknew said:
Hey,
Sorry im new.

The black thing is the AM loop antenna, FM requires some kind of wire inserted into the FM antenna terminals. Even a short length of wire should bring in the local stronger FM stations.

Lefty

Thanks.
Well hook one up now.
Anyone have any thoughts on why the cd wont play through the aux. Is it alright to play it through the tape hook ups?

kerouacknew said:
Thanks.
Well hook one up now.
Anyone have any thoughts on why the cd wont play through the aux. Is it alright to play it through the tape hook ups?

Well the only differance between tape in and aux in is the path they take. The aux come throught the source selector switch contacts and the tape in comes through the tape monitor switch. So you most likely have very dirty switch contacts on your selector switch, very common on old vintage rigs so search around about cleaning controls and get it done :thmbsp:

Lefty

Get a can of Caig DeoxIT D5. Squirt this inside the switches and controls. Work each control through its range 50 times, and operate each switch 100 times.

Dust out the chassis with a natural bristle brush.

Lightly lubricate the brass moving contacts on the rotor portion of the tuning condenser with the Deox.

Acquire a t-shaped folded dipole FM antenna and hook it onto the terminals labled "300 ohms."

Lamps are widely available. Usually the 8 volt fusetype lamps are the ones most in need of replacement.

The 2230 is one of my favorite machines! Enjoy.

Best,

Fred Longworth

Where do i find this deoxit?
Is it available at the hardware store or do i need to go to a stereo place or online?
Fred its too bad u are not closer. Maybe u need to vacation in canada this year.
Thanks all for the advice. i now have Fm although my speaker wire antenna is not the best.
shawn

kerouacknew said:
Where do i find this deoxit?
Is it available at the hardware store or do i need to go to a stereo place or online?
Fred its too bad u are not closer. Maybe u need to vacation in canada this year.
Thanks all for the advice. i now have Fm although my speaker wire antenna is not the best.
shawn
MCM and PE here in the states carry it, they also sell it direct from the MFG's web site, I'd be more helpful here but you stumbled across one of my pet peeves on the forum; Location-Location-Location I can help youth lamps if you need any, Dave. :sigh:

I love my 2230!

Did you get the FM to work? Almost certainly the antena was the issue. They have a very nice tuner.

Take care,

Ed

Thanks for all the replies.
Fm is now working but i need to pick up a better fm antenna as speaker wire just getting me an Ok signal.
Dgwojo. Point taken i have added my location to my profile.
I love the sound of this receiver. It is really amazing.
shawn

Back
Top Bottom