Marantz 2230b- as good as the 2230-is it worth restoring

Normo

Guys, I have read quite a bit online about how good the 2230 is. I don't know electronics but I know that there are differences between the 2230 and the 2230b. Is the "b" model sonically as good as the non "b" model? Is it worth restoring the 2230b? Also I have read that the 1060 and the 2230 share similarities. Does the 1060 and 2230b also share similarities? I am looking to spend my money wisely. Thanks. Norm

The 2230 and 1060 share the similarity of being capacitor-coupled, and are therefore different than most vintage Marantz stereos (the 2220 is the other model that is capacitor-coupled).

The 2230B is a newer design, similar to the 2235B. I think they are worth restoring but the resale value will likely be less than the cost of restoring it. The 2230B is great for a first restoration, or one just for relaxation, because all the components are easy to get to and replace. The 2230B has the advantage of better FM tuning performance due to use of an IC (the 2230 and 1060 are all discrete components).

In my book, the 2230B is WAY better than the 2230.
A much richer, warmer sounding unit. Everything I like about the Marantz sound.
The 1060, 2230, 2245, 2270 fanboys would not like it.

I've flipped 2230, 2245, 2270 but my 2230B stays.

The 2230B seem much less common and thus may not have the cult love of the 2230.
A lot of resale value is based on hearsay and without a lot of hearsay, value stays low.

Just a point about non-B and B units.
The B is a completely different animal than the non-B units in the Marantz line.

The 2230 has better build quality than the 2230B model, note the smaller power transformer, both power amps sharing the same heat sink and the lack of shielding in the 'B'.

Many folks say the 2230 is one of the best sounding low powered receivers.

My 2 cents.
Tom

2230B:
IMG_0070_zpsz96m0u4u.jpg

2230:
marantz2230in.jpg

Many folks say the 2230 is one of the best sounding low powered receivers.

My "issue" with that is that many folks have not heard all there is to hear. I have been very surprised by some "rare" gems found in the wild.

Anyway, this is off track.

TO answer the OP, I think the 2230B is worth restoring (it IS a Marantz) and if it does not thrill, flip and move on. In my experience the 2230 and 2230B sound completely different.

Last edited:
Look to be two different animals. I guess it would come down to which you think sounds better.

Just to add to the side discussion, I bought a new 2230 in 1972. It was stolen six months later and I replaced it with a 2245. I expected to hear a big difference in the sound, but honestly both of them were superb. I did have some very efficient bass reflex speakers that didn't demand a lot of power, but like blhagstrom said - they are all vintage Marantz and none of them are slouches. I would rebuild that 2230b in a heartbeat.

Two seemingly contradictory things can be true. The 2230 is indeed a primitive design, but many people think it sounds just wonderful. My personal tastes tend towards the tighter cleaner sound of direct coupled amps with more modern circuitry, but it still sounds decent to me.

Two seemingly contradictory things can be true. The 2230 is indeed a primitive design, but many people think it sounds just wonderful. My personal tastes tend towards the tighter cleaner sound of direct coupled amps with more modern circuitry, but it still sounds decent to me.
Same here. But the "primitive"1060 and 2230 sound great. I prefer DC amps but I really like the 1060's I rebuilt. Im not into receivers but I wouldnt pass on a 2230 if one came my way at the right price. I havnt heard a 2230B but having a DC amp I would probably like it as well.

I'm a fan of the 2230, as well as the 2235 "B". Both have permanent homes I rotate them into the main setup. I'm sure 2230B is excellent and definitely worth restoring! ☺️

Sure it's worth it. Why do you need a shoot out? They all sound good in their own slightly different way.

As for comparing them to today's Hifi, I'll still take the Marantz. This being typed as I sit here listening to my vintage 250M amp with my NEW NAD C25BEE and Marantz PM8004 sitting in a closet.

However I am a fan of newer preamps and not so much of a vintage preamp guy. Thought I would just make that clear.

I have the 2230B, and worked on a 2230 that I snagged for a nephew. Listened to the latter a lot in all modes before shipping it, so I had a chance to compare. Would play an LP on one and then the other. I like mine better. Like the sound better, the relay, and think the lights telling you what you're listening to are overkill/clutter.

Back
Top Bottom