Marantz 2230B Recap Project - Started

Does it work with headphones??
If it does, the relay may have a bum set of points, or a cracked track under it, as Randy found on one a few months ago.
I would have to look, but the headphones may before the relay.
I would also suggest pushing tape monitor and speaker buttons in/out about twenty times. Dirty switches are quite common.
Thanks John
I didn't try headphones, actually I don't have any. However, at this point, both channels are working. I did replaced the speaker relay (as part of the re-furb) with a new Omron MY2-02 looked identical, but was wondering myself if the new one might be defective. Is it possible that even though the contacts are connected together inside of it, that one side might not be right ??? also, the solder joints are solid and the pads are not lifted.

I saw your suggestions in other threads about the Tape monitor or other dirty switches. I had already taken the front panel off (again) and re-sprayed all the pushbuttons with Deox and worked them in and out, so if one of them is the culprit I will probably need to disassemble the switch for a more thorough cleaning. I saw in another thread a guy showing how to remove the knob, pull back the spring to get the guts out. Have you ever tried that ???

I would get both drivers replaced on the first channel and get it working and playing at least a few hours. Then I would replace the other channel's just to make everything match. Not that I could hear any differences most likely, it's just a facet of my mild OCD! o_O

P.S. The headphones are after the relay. There were some defective relays out there and Tom/Catrafter was the unlucky recipient. So far I haven't had any!

I would get both drivers replaced on the first channel and get it working and playing at least a few hours. Then I would replace the other channel's just to make everything match. Not that I could hear any differences most likely, it's just a facet of my mild OCD! o_O

P.S. The headphones are after the relay. There were some defective relays out there and Tom/Catrafter was the unlucky recipient. So far I haven't had any!
Thanks
Good point about the headphones. I get the OCD thing, most AK'ers are probably afflicted with this. I'm going to order all 4 when I order the components for my 2220B (canadian) they're cheap anyway.

Bi the way when trying to match up the old transistors with new, the datasheets for them are full of numbers, that you can never match all of. Are there 1 or 2 factors that are the most important to consider ???

Yep, just do it in a clean area. The little springs will fly out and vanish.
Pull it out far enough to spray it good into the switch. Protect your eyes!!!!!
make sure the contacts are not stuck in for some reason
Work it in and out and wipe the pin off that fell on the floor and put it back in.

If in the event that something got stuck between the points, it could be cleaned by running a slice of 600 grit sandpaper through.
Before wasting my time trying to clean a defective relay, I would test it this way, IF it were MY unit

If your really in doubt and think the amp is working, you could swap the amp output wires, directly before the relay for a test.
If you don't put them back, all of your inputs will be on the wrong side, so don't forget.

Besides the polarity (NPN/PNP), I look at max voltages and Ft first but all are considered as well as if the manufacturer lists intended usages. For a differential pair, input stage or phono pre transistor I'd like to see the noise figure too.

Randy, John & Dingman
Thought I would report back. Life took me away from my re-furb for a bit.

The 2230B is singing nicely. I mentioned earlier that the left channel that wasn't working ( after the re-cap) popped on when I bumped it, which of course means somethings loose. I have moved this thing from normal to its side (to re-check Bias voltage again) and back, probed around with a small wood dowel and for the life of me can't get the left channel to pop off (not that I really want it to, but wanted to find what is loose ) but nothing doing. It continues to work fine. So, since I'm keeping it for myself, I'm going to call it a success, do a final clean and put her back together. Couldn't have done it without your'alls help.

Have a question though, I'm getting ready to order parts for the 2220B canadian, and was browsing through Mouser at the caps. A side bar was advertising the new Panasonic FR series. I'm no expert but they seem like they might be better than the FC's. Has anyone looked at the FR series or have an opinion on them ???

Thanks, it's always nice to get a report back on how things are going, repair-wise. That's good that that left channel is OK now, with all the probing you've done, I'd also call it good until it acts up again.

I don't know about the caps, sorry.

Has anyone had any experience with the Marantz Model Twenty Two ? I read one post that said it's a troubled unit, although they really didn't expound on that any. Looking at buying one thats cosmetically very nice but owner says one channel sounds distorted.

Back
Top Bottom