Marantz 2238

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by ericc129, Jun 26, 2016.

1. ericc129

ericc129 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey guys, I was wondering what you guys knew about the 2238 receiver. I have one that love soundwise that I run through a strong proton D1200 amp to power some big polk towers. In fact, I am picking up another 2238 here locally on monday that is pristine and has been completely serviced, etc. just for a backup down the road and or for when I recap mine completely and the sound changes etc. At the very least it would be great to have a backup for extra parts seeing as how I could live with this receiver forever. But really, is this model kinda rare? I've been trying to look up stuff online and read reviews about this receiver and there are hardly any......every search just leads to a lot of info about the worlds beloved 2230. Hell, I don't even know if this receiver is cap coupled liked the 2230, but it sure sounds like it, if it ain't......anyway, any reviews from you guys on the 2238 would be appreciated.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Oerets

Oerets AK Subscriber Subscriber

Going from memory the 2238 is DC coupled and a very nicely built receiver. I have one that gets used once in awhile and always pleases.

As to the pecking order, rarity? I guess middle of the road. Not the sought after or the avoided by collectors. So enjoy it!

Barney

3. ericc129

makes me wonder how much better the 2230 sounds.

4. ericc129

and I guess the 2238 can't be that rare, if I stumble upon two if them a couple miles from each other for no more than 250 dollars

5. Oerets

Oerets AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have the 2230 and like it also. Never compared the two head to head, but the 2230 is the one I'd keep out of the two models.

Barney

6. ericc129

I'm not getting a 2230, just an extra 2238 as a backup.....I was just curious as to how my unit compares.....I'm basically using it as a preamp....I just wondering how the 22xx units compare in terms of sound quality when doing so.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. GWhitney

GWhitney GWhitney

I've been running a 2238 as my every day receiver since 2011 when I picked it up for $30. Love it!

8. wlhd1610

wlhd1610 R.I.P. Penny, my always faithful companion Sponsor Subscriber

2238 is a rare unit.
    Tons more 2230 and 2238b units out there.
    Go for it,you won't be sorry!

Bob

9. ericc129

It does seem to have a lot of the same boards inside as other coveted units, it's just that you don't hear much more about it.

10. damian911

damian911 New Member

I've got a 2238BL that I recapped last year and it's a pure pleasure to listen to with a warmth my recently recapped Yamaha CR800 can't compete with.