Marantz 2240 vs Pioneer SX-828 Receivers

y2keglide

I can get the Marantz 2240 for $140,good shape no wood case.
The Pioneer SX-828 can be had for $120 also in nice shape.
What say you folks?:saywhat:
I'm leaning towards the Marantz even though the Pioneer has more power at 50W per channel and is $20 less, just cause I've always wanted a Marantz.

Is it possible to listen to them? I had a Marantz 2238 receiver I sold three weeks ago. I had it worked on, as one channel was out. It had a real nice warm sound, but I felt the tuner was deficient.

In the 70's, where I'm from, Pioneer had a better reputation, but that could have been the stereo stores slant. I wouldn't mind picking up a Pioneer to see how it sounds.

As I stated in your other post, the Marantz is going to have a warmer, softer sound more like tubes. I have heard that Pioneers have better tuner sections, but is that what you are really after? How much radio do you listen to? I prefer Marantz all day long to Pioneer, unless it is an sx-1050,1250,1280,1980, ect. Opinions will vary, it just depends on your needs.

I have a Marantz 2238 and it's tuner works better then most of my other recievers plus you just can't help love that Marantz sound

I'm going to buck the trend here.

If both are in equally good condition, get the Pioneer.

Unless you're a dope-smoking hippie! :D

I like both the Marantz and Pioneer alot . The Pioneer will take the plugs for the speakers , make sure to get them if you decide on the Pioneer .

Barney

Last edited:
2240? Better have it gone through if it doesn't sound impressive. I have 2235B and not really care for the way it sounded. It seems to give me listening fatigue. Probably needs work. BUT, just bought 2238B and it really struck me how it sounds. I love it and does not give me fatigue. Haven't tried 828 either but did try x3x series and like them as well and don't seem to give me fatigue. I find liking the sound of the 636 followed by 737.

Well it's too much driving from here to listen to both,everything is too far from where I live lol.
40 miles is a short trip from here to get to anything.
I mostly want to spin old vinyl and a few CDs,not really going to use the tuner a lot.

For some reason I thought you already had the marantz , to much Christmas Cheer .....

I'd go and look over the Marantz first , but the Pioneer not shabby either IMHO .

Barney

I wouldn't discount that Pioneer. Marantz probably better resale value. Pioneer I would think is closer to top of the line model.

I have later SX-950 and it's a gem. But so was my 2220B - albeit not abble to handle big AR speakers like the 80WPC 950.

If you have enough cash get both, listen and sell the one you don't like.

Probably a matter of which one is in better shape = sounds best. Not like you are buying them new in store - where you can really hear which sounds best when both are working their best.

I'll put the Pioneer SX-828 over any Marantz I've owned by a long shot. Here's a list of the Marantz receivers I've owned:

2265B
2285B

Retro

It will depend on what speaker you will be using. I have marantz, sansui, and pioneer. Had to switch back n forth to find match. I would take both.

It will depend on what speaker you will be using. I have marantz, sansui, and pioneer. Had to switch back n forth to find match. I would take both.

That Pioneer was no slouch . An expensive unit, for the time. 60 watts, too. Go get it.

Well it's a done deal,I couldn't afford both since I need speakers as well.
The Pioneer was 75 miles away so first stop was the Marantz 2240 at only 25 miles from home.
It was in real nice shape so I brought it home,going Monday on a bit of a road trip for a set of Klipsch KG-4s and at that point I'm broke for a while and saving up for a turntable upgrade.
I'd like to thank all for the opinions.:thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom