Marantz 2240 vs Pioneer SX-828 Receivers

Well, in spite of the fact that you passed up the Pioneer and chose the Marantz, I hope it works well for you and you are pleased with it. :yes:

There ARE so many good choices avaialble from that era, and so many excellent pieces to choose from.

Let's see some pictures!

Both are good, though as noted, I have a soft spot for pioneer stuff. The 828 was the top of the line that year. I'm working on a 727 and the build quality is impressive, and after some work, I think it will sound great as well. That being said, you can't really go wrong with the marantz. Either one is a above average starter receiver:yes: my first one was a sx-525 which is a diminutive ~20 watts...I like it, sounds good...wouldn't mind a marantz though. Pioneers seem to have a nice warm sound to them as well, maybe not too soft, pleasent, well balanced, but favors certain genres.

I was also hoping that you would have gone for the Pioneer, but I'm glad that the Marantz is in good shape. The fact that the Marantz was a little closer was a consideration too, and frankly you really can't go wrong with either choice.

Now for the best part...Listening! :music::banana:

Enjoy

Last edited:
I think you'll be really pleased with your choice and after some good listening, I'm sure you won't be second guessing your decision. Have fun!

Thanks again guys,now I need to save a few bucks to find a decent turntable and I'll be cleaning up the old vinyl,can't wait!:banana:

I think you'll be really pleased with your choice and after some good listening, I'm sure you won't be second guessing your decision. Have fun!

Well I hooked up my old POS Pioneer CD player to the Marantz/Klipsh combo and threw in an SRV CD to try it out.
All I can say is wow! this set up really rocks for old stuff picked up on a budget.:thmbsp:
I can't wait to get a decent turntable hooked up and start cleaning up the old record collection.:banana:

You did fine.....not near as much Marantz out there and a sweet Pioneer will always easily be there. (At low volumes the Marantz is better with my speaks/at volume my Pioneer rules by a margin.)

The KG4s ought to be very good with the Marantz. I ran some with my 4300 for a party a couple of weeks ago and it was a nice pairing. Too bad they are too big for my bedroom setup.

Pioneer wins out here. The only Marantz receivers I think are superior are the 18 and 19. The Marantzes are nice though and more warm sounding if you like that kind of sound.

Just had the old Marantz serviced and new blue led lights installed. Was curious what it's worth now and did a Google search,in doing so I found this old post from 10 years ago when I bought it he he.
I did get a decent turntable too,a Thorens TD 160.
Still love it but I picked up a Kenwood Eleven G with 125wpc so might sell the Marantz but maybe not too.
Kind of on the fence about it, thinking about selling both and getting a bigger Marantz too lol.
I just bought some Speakerlab Khorn clones and might be selling them as well.
A week after bringing them home I ran across a great deal on a set of genuine 1970's vintage Klipschorns,hoping to get them soon if they are still there next payday.
This stuff can make a person crazy ha ha.

Last edited:
View attachment 1422048
He revived it .

Why dump the Marantz, you just had it updated . Does it look like this ?
Looks like that but it doesn't have the wood case.
I'd like to get something like a Marantz 2325,meanwhile I have the Kenwood Eleven G rated 125wpc.
If I can get decent money out of the 2240 and my Speakerlab K-horns it would come real close to paying for a set of genuine Klipschorns I have my eye on.

That Marantz doesn't have enough buttons. I like my 2275. Also like that it has preamp outs. The pioneer would be ok for a bathroom stereo or something.

Looks like that but it doesn't have the wood case.
I'd like to get something like a Marantz 2325,meanwhile I have the Kenwood Eleven G rated 125wpc.
If I can get decent money out of the 2240 and my Speakerlab K-horns it would come real close to paying for a set of genuine Klipschorns I have my eye on.
omg Speaker Lab !!! i bought drivers from them in 1975

Back
Top Bottom