Marantz 2240B acquisition -- cleaned up, almost ready to rock!

soundweasel

In response to several requests via other AK threads, attached are photos of my "new" Marantz 2240B recently acquired from the original owner.

Overall I'd give it a 9.5 out of 10. The only issues are the scratched selector and volume control knobs (if anyone has spare knobs please send me a PM and let me know what you need to get for them -- I really want to make this receiver a 10 out of 10!).

Everything else is clean and works great. Some vacuuming, DeOxit, dusting with Swiffer cloths, and it looks and works excellent!

I'm still trying to decide whether I want to refinish the WC-22 case that came with it, or just clean and wax it. It has a couple of minor dings, but nothing major. :scratch2:

Attachments

• Marantz2240B01.jpg
    Marantz2240B01.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 77
  • Marantz2240B_1.jpg
    Marantz2240B_1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Marantz2240B_2.jpg
    Marantz2240B_2.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Marantz2240B_3.jpg
    Marantz2240B_3.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Marantz2240B_4.jpg
    Marantz2240B_4.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 47
Nice looking unit! I think I would leave the case finish as original and just clean and wax it. How does it sound?

One word for that Marantz.......Sweet! :music:

If it is sounding as good as it looks then you are fortunate.

LOL, I'm already collecting a/d/s and Nakamichi......had a 2500 Marantz a long time ago......if I only knew now what I didn't know then. :nono:

Best,

Paul :thmbsp:

chillwolf said:
Nice looking unit! I think I would leave the case finish as original and just clean and wax it. How does it sound?

I just finished applying the second coat of wax -- I'll buff it out in about 20 minutes. First coat looked a little "uneven." The second coat should fill in any "gaps."

It sounds great -- I just tested it using some cheapo test speakers and headphones. I'm planning on using it to power my Goodman Maximus 7's.

I'll post some pictures once it is wrapped in the wood case. :D

Hi, Bob Toepfer once helped me with a good Volume Knob for a Marantz 2330B I bought off Ebay some years back. I'll have to check for his email addy, and the best bet when you contact him, is to include a pic of your knob, so that Bob will match it for you.

He may not have it, but it's sure worth a try, and I also know of another place to check as soon as I can do some research for you on this, and report back.

Sometimes, with small dings in the wood cabinets if they're not too bad, is they can be lifted out with a damp Towel, and and the heat from an Iron. Of course one would probably get better results before oiling-polishing the cabinet. Mark

Hi again, Well here it is:

Bob Toepfer can be reached at bob@vintage-electronics.net and I believe he also has a website, probably www.vintage-electronics.com

If not, a search will probably bring up his site for you.

Also, Bob forwarded this site to me not long ago, as another source for acquiring vintage goodies, and you can get in touch with Jerry at www.oaktreevintage.com

Hope this helps you with your search, and that you find what you desire. Best of luck! Mark D.

Back
Top Bottom