Marantz 2245 Repair

Paul Malloy

Marantz out.jpg

I have a Marantz 2245 (I think it's an early one - S/N 5093), and would like to get it back to it's glory. I know it has some issues. I'm sure it's needs to be recapped and tuned at least. Doesn't look like anyone has ever been in it (except for me poking around).

I put in all new lights and got the "stereo" light to work for awhile (by playing around with some adjustments). The stereo light doesn't work now.

Speaker relay doesn't engage (maybe it's not balanced) -> I can get it to put out sound by bypassing the relay (by opening up the case, relay cover, and offsetting the contacts). Only one side (the left side) puts out sound.
Marantz in.jpg
The RCA board in the back is broken at the "Tape In" connection.

Everything else seems to work and look good.

Seems like all the businesses that do this work is pretty far away and have a large backlog of work. I'm in the Denver, Colorado area, and would like to find somebody local.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Last edited:
Woah don't bypass the relay...there's a reason it doesn't engage namely most likely DC on the side that doesn't work.
Good luck on the search to find someone to fix it, it's worth it as I'm sure you know.

Also what the heck did you adjust to make the stereo light turn on? If it was anything in the tuner section you're looking at an expensive realignment....

I opened up the speaker relay to see if the contacts were burnt, and the sound came on. Glad I did it, since it meant that the 2245 was working.

I did the stereo light several years ago based on a thread I read. I don't remember exact which adjustment I turned, but it got the stereo light working with very little adjustment of the screw. I don't know how realignment would be more expensive than what I expect somebody to do during a standard service just because I turned the stereo adjustment a half a turn?

Couple of thing come to mind -

1. When you removed the relay cover did both channels produce sound?

2. Do you know which coil you adjusted and what it does in the grand scheme of things? Did you mark the original position before turning the lug?

I've never had to use more than a minute movement of the tuning lug (MPX) to get the light on. In the couple that I have done the lug wound up back in the original position. The slight movement after all the years restored connectivity loss probably due to dust.

So, it doesn't seem like anyone who can repair my stereo is near me. Can someone suggest a business that is good and can turnaround in a reasonable time frame (less that 6 months, preferred 3 months). I see Circle Stereo in Dripping Springs TX, Cherish44 in Lansing, MI, and I Rebuild Marantz are some. I see Bob Speece use to rebuild Marantz with a lot of praise, but doesn't seems to do Marantz's anymore, just doing MacIntosh now days.

At I Rebuild Marantz, they list typical rebuild of the 2245 at $700, which is on their high range of rebuild costs.

Thanks-

Paul

Couple of thing come to mind -

1. When you removed the relay cover did both channels produce sound?

2. Do you know which coil you adjusted and what it does in the grand scheme of things? Did you mark the original position before turning the lug?

I've never had to use more than a minute movement of the tuning lug (MPX) to get the light on. In the couple that I have done the lug wound up back in the original position. The slight movement after all the years restored connectivity loss probably due to dust.

1. No, only the left side makes sound. A couple of years ago, it took a few minutes to warm up before the speaker relay would kick in, and the stereo would make sound. Both sides. Knobs seems clean, no noise when turning volume up and down. Sounded good. It's just been stored since the relay stopped engaging. I figured out the it still produced sound a week or so ago when I decided it was time to get it back to it's glory and wanted to know what worked and what didn't.

2. No idea anymore, it was several years ago I came across a thread stating which tuning lug to turn to adjust for the stereo light. Yes, it just took a small adjustment. No, I didn't mark it, but I only adjusted it a small turn one, and small turn the other way, and noted where it was originally (no physical mark with it's original location). I first thought the light was burnt out, because several of the other bulbs didn't work. I replaced all the bulbs with standard ones (not the LED ones). The original one for the stereo light was still good (replaced it anyway), which lead to me to adjusting the lug inside to finally get the light to come on. It worked fine for quite some time, but the time it took to warm up before the speaker relay would engage took longer and longer. The stereo light stopped working, and then finally, the speaker relay stopped engaging. The stereo has been in storage ever since.

Paul, to my knowledge, Bob Speece IS doing Marantz. I think Terry DeWick is the Mac guy.
Where exactly is Brighton, CO?

Tom

Back
Top Bottom