Marantz 2250 opinions?

DirtyDog

Hi,

I have a chance of getting a Marantz 2250. If any of you have or had one of these, how does it compare to other Marantz offerings? What things do you like and not like about it?

I don't necessarily need a lot of power although it's nice to know power is available if needed, so would a 2270 or higher be much better?

50 Watts should be plenty unless you are running a setup to DJ. For personal listening it would be plenty , i run a 1060 in my bedroom and it’s got plenty of power for a bedroom- 30 Watts.

I like 'em. Really well built with separate amp driver boards/heatsinks and independent shielded tuner boards. The tuner boards and preamp are very similar, if not the same, as the 2275.

Mine made 64 WPC into 8 ohms when I tested it.

I like 'em. Really well built with separate amp driver boards/heatsinks and independent shielded tuner boards. The tuner boards and preamp are very similar, if not the same, as the 2275.

Mine made 64 WPC into 8 ohms when I tested it.
How do you test this?

So are the 2250 and 2275 similar just different power ratings?

How do they compare to the 2245 and 2270?

I have a Marantz 1090. So that's a 45 watt integrated amp. Just about the same output as the 2250. From there its going to depend on what you hook up to it as to what you get from it really. I like mine for the quality of sound and for me the 1090 has two phono inputs and two tape inputs. Also an Auxiliary input. Plus Marantz makes a very nice looking unit with good resale value. Parts are easy to find for most units like the 2250 so there's that. It is my opinion. Others may say that there is better out there at better prices. Better specs for the same prices. It really is a personal choice in what you like dude and what you want to own. If the price is a good one go for it.

How do you test this?

So are the 2250 and 2275 similar just different power ratings?

How do they compare to the 2245 and 2270?

8 ohm dummy loads, inject a 1KHZ sine wave from a signal generator into AUX, hook up an oscilloscope to see the output and a true RMS voltmeter to measure the output. Turn up the volume until the waveform shows clipping, note the voltage. VRMS x VRMS divided by 8 (resistance of load) will give you watts. That's it in a nutshell, should also have a distortion analyzer to be truly accurate.

2250 and 2275 look pretty similar, see for yourself. The 2275 has a better FM front end, and of course the transformer, filters, and amplifier sections to support it's greater power. It's been a long time since I had a 2245, never had a 2270. I really liked the 2245.

2250 -
IMG_8245.JPG
IMG_8083.JPG

2275 -

IMG_7996.JPG
IMG_7997.JPG

You should have more than adequate power with a 2250. Though I have a 2270 and 4270 I don’t need that much power. The 2270 I just wanted. It lives in my bedroom. The 4270 was free. I have a 1030 in my work area running Advids up front with small Advents in the back. Even 15 watts per channel is fine. The tuner section is nice on my 2270. Pull New York City stations 70 miles away. To bad most stations suck.

You should have more than adequate power with a 2250. Though I have a 2270 and 4270 I don’t need that much power. The 2270 I just wanted. It lives in my bedroom. The 4270 was free. I have a 1030 in my work area running Advids up front with small Advents in the back. Even 15 watts per channel is fine. The tuner section is nice on my 2270. Pull New York City stations 70 miles away. To bad most stations suck.

How do the 2270 and 4270 compare?

How do the 2270 and 4270 compare?

That’s a tough question. I like both! My speakers are JBLs. L100s on the 4270 with small Pioneers on the back. Using a Dual 1219/Shure M91ED. Have it set in stereo. Very pleased with its sound. Took many years to get it right in the livingroom. Tried a pr of later AR on the back. Sounded like crap. I don’t mess with this anymore. Totaly satisfied with this setup.

My 2270 was completely rebuilt by Bob Seece (WLHD1610). He gave me a bag of parts. It matches well to a pr of JBL Decade 26s. It was like rebuilding an old car. This is a good match. Have another 1219 tied to it. Funny this is the second pair of 26s I have owned. Did not work well back in the 70s tied to a Kenwood 7100. Tried the 7100 a few years back again. Beautiful built amp. Still don’t like the sound. Briefly had a 2245 on these speakers. Couldn’t really tell much of a difference between it and the 2270.

Can’t tell a whole lot difference between the 4270 and the 2270. Both have a warm sound. Not harsh like many solid state units. The combination works well for rock, jazz, and classical. The instruments are really easy to pick out on each. Very satisfied with both. The only downside on the 4270 is they cram a lot of stuff inside it’s cabinet making it tough to work on. Someday I may have Bob rebuild it. He may not be happy about that job. He did a first rate job on the 2270.

I have a 2250b and a 4400, the 2250b is really surprising and i could live with it as my main powersource very nice preamp also. Tone controls have nice frequency choices. Decent sounding phono pre also. Really has some power compared to other vintage models i have that are rated at 100 wpc.

Back
Top Bottom