Marantz 2252 or Sansui 881

hatrack71

distracted by everything
I just got two receivers for doing a very small carpentry job. I would like to turn one of them or maybe both. Which one of these is the better sounding beast in your opinion. Both work but have burned out lamps. There is a slight hum in the right channel of the 881 but I haven't De-oxited anything on it yet to see if that is the cause, it sounds wonderful! The Marantz had a really bad hum but compressed air and De-oxit took care of that. It too sounds great! I would love to hear what others think, I'm torn between the two right now but will do more listening.

Attachments

• 100_0482.jpg
    100_0482.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_0485.jpg
    100_0485.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 100_0484.jpg
    100_0484.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 94
as you have them both, only true judge in this matter is your ears. Instead of a/bing them tho, hook one up and listen to it for a day or 2 and then switch them out and give the other one a listen for a day or 2. You will make a better decision.

I like that idea. see what appeals to your eyes and ears, and go with your gut. You might want to put the "loser" in storage for a bit just to be safe.

i have owned both, in my opinion the 881 stands head and shoulders above the marantz unit. a power house in a small case!

My vote would go for the 881. A very underrated series of receivers, and it was TOTL of that series.

The 881 was the next TOTL after the awesome Eight Deluxe. The 881 shows clear cost cutting compared to the Eight and in that regard is a step backwards. The 2252 was not the TOTL for 1976 and at 52 watts is underpowered and not as versatile as the 881. I'd dump both of them and combine the funds to get either a more powerful Marantz or maybe a 9090DB.

As you said, the 881 can't be compared with the Single Digit Units.Quite different line and quality level. But nevertheless heavy duty receivers. Excellent tuner, powerful, clear and transparent sound. Like it more than Marantz.
And in fact underrated.
Keep the 881, sell the Marantz and put some money aside for an Eight, 7000 or 9090.:music:

As you said, the 881 can't be compared with the Single Digit Units.Quite different line and quality level. But nevertheless heavy duty receivers. Excellent tuner, powerful, clear and transparent sound. Like it more than Marantz.
And in fact underrated.
Keep the 881, sell the Marantz and put some money aside for an Eight, 7000 or 9090.

I just got done working on a super clean, low hours Sansui 881 with dial light issues (they all kept blinking on and off due to some bad solder joints). I really expected that receiver to sound awesome, especially with that enormous power transformer that looks like it's for a 100 wpc amp rather than a 60, but I was kind of disappointed with the performance...only so~so and the tuner was pretty lame. That humming sound seems to be a chronic problem with that model of receiver, the one I was working on had it and when I searched here on AK I found a number of posts about others who had the same issue. I was wondering if it was because of the over-sized power transformer in the small chassis or poor shielding, but I don't know. I've had most of the Marantz units before and after the 2252 and they are pretty good (again, the tuner is the weak point, IMO).
Quite frankly - and I'm not trying to be a wise-ass here - I'd let them both go and use the funds to buy something better like a Pioneer SX-1050 if you really need a receiver. If you don't need the tuner section then maybe a Sansui or Pioneer integrated amp. Just my 2 bits. :D

...Quite frankly - and I'm not trying to be a wise-ass here - I'd let them both go and use the funds to buy something better like a Pioneer SX-1050 if you really need a receiver. If you don't need the tuner section then maybe a Sansui or Pioneer integrated amp. Just my 2 bits. :D

An 881 and a 2252 will net say $300. You are now solidly in Sansui AU-717 territory with money left over.

I think one receiver in restored condition can sound as different from the same model receiver in unrestored condition as it will a receiver of a completely different brand.

Back
Top Bottom