Marantz 2252B "leak?"

Kasra

I've read that sometimes caps can leak some of their glue becuase of heat, but i'm not sure. What's leaking from...2 of them i beleive is a dark substance that makes the brown color circuit board under it darker. It's dark syrup color, basically. Is it glue? It has always sounded perfect to me.

I was right, there is something wrong with your receiver(sorry, had to say it, forgive me please^_^), it needs new caps.
It is called leaky caps. Cure: New caps(recap) :yes:
That brown syrup is a classic sign of leaky capacitors. :tears:
Bad caps can destroy SQ and even damage speakers if gone unattended. :thmbsp:
You're going to love your 2252B when you recap it. :banana:
I usually recap all my receivers. Both my 2265B and 2270 have been recapped.

Can we get a pick to see which caps are leaking?

Kasra:

Your caps may very well be leaking, but it's possible they are just fine. If the two caps that are "leaking" are tall, it's possible what you see on the circuit board is hot melt glue.

In order to survive the CE "shake and bake" test, manufacturers will often hot melt glue the tall caps right to the circuit board. Purpose of doing this is to prevent these caps from breaking their leads during the very heavy vibrations the product is subjected during the “shake and bake” tests. Now, these tests are supposed to simulate the typical vibrations products will receive during ground transportation.

Hope this helps ...

Jerry

220uf, 1000uf, 470 uf caps are the main caps leaking. they are the black ones that are on the right hand side of the receiver when looking from the front. they are on the top side. the uf value isn't imcumbant of size. they have different voltages. IIRC, the 470uf cap is...63 volts i think. that's the only one i remember. at some parts, it's a light brown syrupy color, and at some points, it looks sorta coagulated and darker brown. the darker brown is at all times, farthest away from the cap. this may mean that it's just been around longer, or that it's actually the leak damaging something else farther away from the actual cap.

it has NEVER sounded bad to me. ever. i'd love to see it sound better indeed, if it has room to do so.

also, i noticed that the caps that are leaking don't move and bend around like other caps. it seems like they're strongly held in place, perhaps...glued down. the smaller caps bend around easilly. this could definatly be a cause.

onplane said:
Kasra, sounds like you are looking at glue,

Check these pics out to see what leaking caps look like:

http://www.careyholzman.com/caps/gallery.htm

Regards,
Jerry

I think you are right.
Realy leaking cap's look like the ones on the pic's.
And,also, when cap's leak you would hear it in the sound reproduction.

But still, it is alway's adviceable to recap the whole amplifier/Receiver; it sounds better and it's more reliable again.

At the same time you can check all solder joint's :smoke:

thanks for the reassurance! the caps themselves are in pristine condition. i always remember seeking cap leaks as usually stuff coming from the top. the caps themselves didn't seem to have any sort of damage to them.

PLAY ON!!

Back
Top Bottom