MARANTZ 2252b Problem. No Inputs work...

Musick7

Hey everyone,

I'm a new member here and I need some help.

A friend from work has given me there Marantz 2252B and I didn't want to dig to far into it without the proper Knowledge of Older Eqt.
What I have done is some Multimeter Testing and I've found that EVERY INPUT, AUX, PHONO2, PHONO1, all seem to Connect together.
This is where I'm a bit confused or just don't understand… and don't want to replace anything without being armed with the right knowledge.
I don't know to much about the older stuff but what I do know is 50W of power then Meant 50WATTS! and probably more.

So what I need to find out is a couple of things,

1) Does anyone know if all Inputs are tied together from the factory for any reason?

2) If not, Has anyone ran into this problem and would you be willing to tell me what you did to fix it?
2a) If you weren't able to fix it, did you narrow it down any? If so would you be willing to share that info? If you do and I'm able to fix this one, I'd be happy to post them here or PM you.

3) Is the Inputs a Symptom or the Cause?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I hope I can fix this for them, I know her Husband would be jumping for joy if I'm able to do so.

Incase your wondering, I'm doing this for free so not on here trying to be greedy and get knowledge from you guys to sell back to them… Just really need some assistance with this.:D

All the outside casings will be tied together for ground.

Other than that I'm not quite understanding your post.

Does nothing work?
Does it light up?

Sorry I could've made my question a little more clear.

The OutSide of each RCA post "GROUND" as usual tied together.
It's the Inside of each RCA Post that I get a constant Beep from the Ohm meter. If I remember correctly I get it as well when I touch the Grounds to some of the Pos. RCA's.

All Positive RCA Post are Open according to the Meter. RCA Post 1 (Pick any for # 1) will have an Open Short "Constant Beep" if I touch RCA Post 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. On Positive Side between 2 - 6.
Basically I think something is keeping all the RCA's Open. That's about all I got right now...

Hope that helps... Thanks Alot.

Anyone have any thoughts on

Not to many replies…

Does anyone have any thoughts on what this could be?
All the RCA's are some how connected together which in turn causes the Marantz to not work when connecting an external source…

All the Positive Center Post of the RCA Inputs are connected… Or atleast Beep when I use an Ohm Ω meter between post 1 (Positive side of Ohm meter lead cable) and post 2-6 Positive terminal of RCA connection of inputs (Using - Neg. lead from ohm meter)

back up

I'm not sure what you have going on and I've never checked cross connectivity on input terminals. Maybe they are connected somehow. Caps to ground?

Back up.

Does the unit power up?
Do the meters move when set to FM and you have an antenna hooked up?

You say "no inputs work"
Problem number 1 just about every time for that condition is that the tape monitor switch is ON.
Make sure the monitor switch is OFF.

I've tried it...

Why not just trying to connect some cheapo speaker and see if something coming out?

Hey Marantzbe,

Thanks for the input but I've already done so. I connected two of my Klipsch SB-3's speakers. It worked fine with FM.

Backing UP...

I'm not sure what you have going on and I've never checked cross connectivity on input terminals. Maybe they are connected somehow. Caps to ground?

Back up.

Does the unit power up?
Do the meters move when set to FM and you have an antenna hooked up?

You say "no inputs work"
Problem number 1 just about every time for that condition is that the tape monitor switch is ON.
Make sure the monitor switch is OFF.

Hey blhagstrom,

I tested all Inputs and Ground of these inputs all are connected, I'm assuming this is correct… (Can Anyone Confirm this, I'm sure it is the case but not 100%)
But I know for a fact the Positive side of these inputs should not all be common positive, I'm certain this is never the case when it comes to Audio in a Receiver.

To answer the second half of your question/answer,
This was the first thing I check when he brought it to me… You are absolutely 100% correct when it comes to audio receivers. But I'm not my mom. LOL:D

I do have audio from the FM Source and it place without a hitch… When I test an aux. source it's a no go…
I was thinking it was something like the Pot. that allows you to select Tape/FM/AUX/ and so on inputs… Or something along those lines.

Anyone one want to weight in on those thoughts?

Thanks guys for your input.
Any other thoughts are welcome...

Hey everyone,

I'm a new member here and I need some help.

A friend from work has given me there Marantz 2252B and I didn't want to dig to far into it without the proper Knowledge of Older Eqt.
What I have done is some Multimeter Testing and I've found that EVERY INPUT, AUX, PHONO2, PHONO1, all seem to Connect together.
This is where I'm a bit confused or just don't understand… and don't want to replace anything without being armed with the right knowledge.
I don't know to much about the older stuff but what I do know is 50W of power then Meant 50WATTS! and probably more.

So what I need to find out is a couple of things,

1) Does anyone know if all Inputs are tied together from the factory for any reason?

2) If not, Has anyone ran into this problem and would you be willing to tell me what you did to fix it?
2a) If you weren't able to fix it, did you narrow it down any? If so would you be willing to share that info? If you do and I'm able to fix this one, I'd be happy to post them here or PM you.

3) Is the Inputs a Symptom or the Cause?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I hope I can fix this for them, I know her Husband would be jumping for joy if I'm able to do so.

Incase your wondering, I'm doing this for free so not on here trying to be greedy and get knowledge from you guys to sell back to them… Just really need some assistance with this.:D

Have you tried just deoxiting your switches and controls ??? Input select switch especially! I wouldn't be probing around in it if you don't know whats going on.All it takes is a minor slip and poof.In a nanosecond you go from maybe fixing it -to sending it to a pro to repair the original problem plus the one you create.

Heres a service manual. If your not registered you will have to.Its free..
http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals/marantz/2252b.shtml

Last edited:
Hey Avionic

Have you tried just deoxiting your switches and controls ??? Input select switch especially! I wouldn't be probing around in it if you don't know whats going on.All it takes is a minor slip and poof.In a nanosecond you go from maybe fixing it -to sending it to a pro to repair the original problem plus the one you create.

Heres a service manual. If your not registered you will have to.Its free..
http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals/marantz/2252b.shtml

Thanks for the Man.
I haven't really dug into it as of yet… I'm not a pro. but I've got a bit of knowledge about this kind of stuff… after all this is my first project. (See attachment for first DIY Project…)
:smoke: LOL

Not Sure if anyone noticed or not, but if you look really close you'll see ONE (0201) Resistor at the TIP of the Tweezers sitting on the ruler. It's Micro and if your not looking for it, you'll definatly miss it. Don't Breath hard or sneeze!

Attachments

• IMG_1196.jpg
    IMG_1196.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Thanks for the Man.
I haven't really dug into it as of yet… I'm not a pro. but I've got a bit of knowledge about this kind of stuff… after all this is my first project. (See attachment for first DIY Project…)
:smoke: LOL

Nice soldering rig..and a microscope.Sweet..

Not sure if this unit does this or not, but many will ground the unselected inputs. If that is happening here and you have FM selected, then all the inputs will be a dead short to ground.

No one else has suggested it...so I'll just put my 2 cents in...bear in mind my very modest electronics knowledge.

The 2252B has a unique "Preamp-out/ Power-amp In" connection at the back that does not involve jumpers or a switch. I've never used those connections, but I think they somehow detect that a external Preamp or Power amp has been connected and switches to that. The only thing I can suggest, is maybe one of these connections have been activated, either by some thing jammed in there, damage to the connection or a faulty component...and maybe that's causing your problem.

It's a long shot seeing your getting FM, but I figured I'd mention it anyway as a possible cause....:scratch2:

Last edited:
No one else has suggested it...so I'll just put my 2 cents in...bear in mind my very modest electronics knowledge.

The 2252B has a unique "Preamp-out/ Power-amp In" connection at the back that does not involve jumpers or a switch. I've never used those connections, but I think they somehow detect that a external Preamp or Power amp has been connected and switches to that. The only thing I can suggest, is maybe one of these connections have been activated, either by some thing jammed in there, damage to the connection or a faulty component...and maybe that's causing your problem.

It's a long shot seeing your getting FM, but I figured I'd mention it anyway as a possible cause....:scratch2:

I think they are a mechanical disconnect like a headphone jack.When you insert a IC into the "main in" jack it mechanically disconnects the pre-amp from the poweramp.

Last edited:
I think they are a mechanical disconnect like a headphone jack.When you insert a IC it mechanically disconnects the pre-amp from the poweramp.

Hmmmm...:scratch2:..mechanical....sounds like something that might possibly get jammed or cause problems over time...:yes:...and might be causing some grief here as well....maybe..??

internal

Hey blhagstrom,

I tested all Inputs and Ground of these inputs all are connected, I'm assuming this is correct… (Can Anyone Confirm this, I'm sure it is the case but not 100%)
But I know for a fact the Positive side of these inputs should not all be common positive, I'm certain this is never the case when it comes to Audio in a Receiver.

To answer the second half of your question/answer,
This was the first thing I check when he brought it to me… You are absolutely 100% correct when it comes to audio receivers. But I'm not my mom. LOL:D

I do have audio from the FM Source and it place without a hitch… When I test an aux. source it's a no go…
I was thinking it was something like the Pot. that allows you to select Tape/FM/AUX/ and so on inputs… Or something along those lines.

Anyone one want to weight in on those thoughts?

Thanks guys for your input.
Any other thoughts are welcome...

Not Mom! Ha, like that. You'd be surprised though how many times it happens.

SO, FM works fine. Everything works, music plays? (AM too?) But all the other sources do not play?
Sounds like something in the selector switch.

I'm fairly sure all the outside input connectors are grounded (just look at them, I know the 2275 is common grounded, I found a bad ground there once that messed up the signal). I don't think there is a direct ground on the signal (inside) path but I don't think they would show open either. Continuity testing for issues is tricky and confusing on electronics.

Um, OK, no insult, but are you sure there is anything coming in from something else? I've had bad interconnects and screwed up connections too and I've been at it for 35 years...

Last edited:
Need to Retest Everything now That

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and help! :music:

That Service Man. got printed on A3 paper tonight at work. I'm going to go back and get more details now and repost my findings. It's been awhile since I last had it up and working so I want to go back and make sure all that I've told you is Accurate.

Stay Tuned

Check the selector switch on the rear to see if the flatted shaft has slipped backwards and come out of the input shaft.
This can cause all kinds of nightmares.

Here a quick question on the back of your marantz receiver is there a pre input and output loop? if there is they have to be connected with jumpers pre in to pre out left and right. if you don't have jumpers you can use rca cables. just a thought that may help out.

another thing that may help is to use deoxit on all the controls and switches especially the rotary input selector dirty contacts is the cause of many problems.

Back
Top Bottom