1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Marantz 2265 to recap or keep original?

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by scott1019, Oct 23, 2012.

1. scott1019

scott1019 Super Member

I recently purchased a like new Marantz 2265 and it has been serviced and gone through with all known issues fixed, PS caps checked, any out of spec components replaced, tuner aligned etc. It is working perfectly as is and sounds wonderful. I know that re-capping can alter the performance of the amp section especially, not always positively.

What are your guys' thoughts?

2. umbra

umbra Member

Thanks for posting this. I'm in a similar situation.

3. hbrocks

hbrocks Super Member

Had mine recapped.....
    Sounds wonderful and I couldn't be happier with it (well...maybe getting a wood case might add to the happy factor).

4. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

Torn

I love the look and feel of original but know that caps do not age well.
    Constant use helps.

IF, as you say, all out of spec componets were replaced then you're good.

THAT said, I seriously doubt that all the components were checked.
    To test a cap, you need to pull it, and if you pull it to test it, you may as well just replace it.

I also doubt that all the resistors were "lifted" to be checked. You need to lift one leg at least to get a test reading.

AND, I doubt all the transistors were pulled and tested. Same deal, need to take them out to test them.

SO, for argument, lets just say that all components were not checked for spec, we can then say, its working now and if you like it, leave it.

Using it helps keep the caps "fresher". Re-capping can't hurt. New caps are built better and are fresh. Resistors are pretty stable from the 70s era so they are probably fine. Transistors do get tired, but re-transistoring is pretty extreme.

Now, IF you have a great tech with the right gear and he/she can run some performance tests on it and document it, then you have some idea of where you are.

5. bktheking

bktheking Gitter Done!

I'm off the recapping crew, I've done a few units now. I only restuff if I want to keep it original. It's roughly $80 in caps to buy and replace if you do it yourself, it's just time consuming as you don't want to rush and you want to make sure your solder work is done properly. Of the ones I've done i've been more than happy with the results.

If you think a recap is going to "increase" the value, only a buyer who understands the fundamentals of fresh vs original will understand the value in the job. If you plan to keep it and it sounds good to you then by all means run it. I just sold a recapped 2270 in a WC for less than some non recapped units go for. It's a crap shoot so to speak.

6. scott1019

scott1019 Super Member

Well what "value" would there be in having it recapped. That's essentially what I am trying to determine.

7. bktheking

bktheking Gitter Done!

Depends on the buyer. Some people don't know what "capacitors" are. All they know is to put gas in the hole and turn the key, or plug it in and press power. If it gives you as "the seller" peace of mind and you don't want to sell it taking a chance that something "could" go wrong then recap it. Now if it were recapped with all panasonic / nichicon high quality caps and I was the buyer i'd pay extra to get a redone unit vs one that I would have to worry about at some point.

8. scott1019

scott1019 Super Member

I would be buying this to keep and use often.

9. Leestereo

Leestereo Super Member

If its a keeper, then I would do a recap. Yes, the performance will change...to what it was when it was new, or even better. Its been discussed many times, some for, some against; but I don't think that anyone can dispute that capacitors are wear items and 35 year old caps are not likely to keep going for another 20 years. If only as a preventative measure, I would recap.

10. scott1019

scott1019 Super Member

I share those sentiments Lee. I think I'm having it recapped, or at the very least checked out entirely. I want to keep this receiver for life!

11. bktheking

bktheking Gitter Done!

In the time it takes to check every cap you may as well change em, especially if you are keeping it. Too bad you weren't local, we wouldn't be talking about it. Lots of AK'rs in Michigan that could help.

12. Vintageman1

Vintageman1 Well-Known Member

Received a 2265 for a decent price several years ago. I did the normal stuff like replace the lights and used Deoxit on the pots and switches. Upon listening to the unit, the bass sounded bloated and undefined. I thought to myself, if this is the legendary Marantz bass, you can keep it. I decided to get the Marantz re-built as I knew this unit was not sounding the way it should. All I can say is.....it made a world of difference. Sounded great and I had the piece of mind knowing the expenditure gave it many more years of life.

13. fernarias

fernarias AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have fully recapped (and any other recommended upgrades like repacing 2sc458s and LED upgrade) the following in the last 3 months; 2230, 2235, 2235B, 2245, 2270, 2275 (a marantz summer) and each time they only sounded better then before the recap (2230 and the 2275 improved the most). I also tried different caps (KL/PW for one, KW/KT for another, FG/KZ/PW for the third, I'll probably do Elna/PW for the next one) for the 223X line to see if there would be a difference but I can't hear a difference. It's the circuit not the caps but I know if I decide to sell any of these, the shiny gold capped ones will sell for more. So, yes, recap your 2265 (looks easier then the 2265B) and get better sound and higher resale down the line.

14. Gum Parker

Gum Parker Active Member

I love my recapped 2265. It was acquired as a non functioning unit As a noobie, I pulled transistors, found the problem one & replaced it. Of the many Marantz units I own and now have recapped, I really like the higher end tuner and there's plenty of power for my needs. It's my favorite inside and out.

15. scott1019

scott1019 Super Member

Its getting recapped and gone through entirely. It was a tough decision to make as it was working perfectly without recapping. I will have no frame of reference to tell if it sounds/performs better after its done, but the guy doing it really knows what he is doing. I will be sure to post detailed photos when I get it. I hope to have this one for life.

16. Rasputin47

Rasputin47 Woad Subscriber

IMHO recapping/restoring your 2265 is well worth it and you won't be disappointed.

I have several receivers that are in various stages of being recapped, and although each was working and sounded fine before, they have all sounded much better after.

17. scott1019

scott1019 Super Member

I hope that the fact that it sounds/works amazing now bodes well for how well it will sound once its done.

18. thisisforlif

thisisforlif New Member

Major setback after yesterday's excitement of having my 2265 back. This morning I put on the radio, go to the kitchen and all of a sudden a load pop/bang. Now the right channel is gone. The only thing I hear are small pops/bangs. Left channel no problem. Short term pleasure is how they call it. Any ideas? It hasn't been recapped yet. Could that be it? Which caps are the best? Thanks guys.