Marantz 2265 with Noise

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by mklein357, Jun 27, 2018.

1. mklein357

mklein357 Active Member

I'm having trouble with my Marantz 2265 with popping and spiking DC offset. Idle current holds rock steady until I hook up a speaker to outputs. Then idle current starts to spike and I can hear it in the speaker as hiss or pop. Noise is apparent in both channels. This all began after a total re-cap of the P800 and P700 boards, main filter caps and new speaker protection relay. To try and isolate the problem area, I plugged pre-out into another amp and listened for popping. No pop! So I'm figuring the problem is in the P800 power supply board? I replaced all the small transistors on the power supply board. No change. Guess I could replace the larger transistors on the power supply but I'm just back to shooting in the dark. Thank-you in advance for any help you can offer.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. bryans12v

bryans12v Marantz Junkie Subscriber

Make sure solder joints are good on the PS board. Both channels popping would point me to the power supply unless is solder joint issues on both amp cards.

Are both channels popping simultaneously or at random?

Try some heat /freeze to help isolate.

3. mklein357

mklein357 Active Member

Well, I admit defeat. Tried freeze spray on the P800 and P700 board transistors. I double checked solder joints. All look good. Can't track the source of the problem. I have to ask, can anyone recommend a repair person in the Ann Arbor/southeast Michigan area? Time to take it to a pro.

Thank-you

4. wlhd1610

wlhd1610 Penny and her new friend Sponsor Subscriber

I reread your original post and don’t see if you said it’s happening in just one channel or both.
    That bit of info would help tremendously in offering troubleshooting advice.
    I would find it extremely unlikely that you have runaway bias in both channels unless you did something drastically wrong on both amp boards.

Bob

5. mklein357

mklein357 Active Member

The runaway bias does occur on both channels. I will check within the next couple days to see if the problem occurs simultaneously. I have just been running one speaker at a time.

6. rBuckner

rBuckner Luv 2 Restore Subscriber

Look for a backwards electrolytic cap on the P800 boards. Keep in mind that the boards' polarity markings can be wrong. If you took a picture before you recapped you can refer to that. I may have a picture in my archives at home but I'm here at work wasting my time!

Please register to disable this ad.

7. mklein357

mklein357 Active Member

Thank-you, and I think it's time to take it to a pro. My time is limited and I've had it opened up for over a month now with no closer to fixing the problem than when I started unfortunately.