Marantz 2265b StereoPhonic Reciever question

alexkerhead

To High For Infinity
First off, I apologize for being away for so long.
After the repair shop mutilated my sx-950, I got a bit fed up with audio stuff.

A week ago, some enlightening things happened, like my woofer blew in one of my L100s, and with the volume low, the digital sa-1280 I use had some kind of signal spike and that is how it messed my woofer up. Needless to say that reciever is not in use anymore.
So my L100s are out of commision at the monent.
But two days ago, a friend of mine got a Marantz 2265b out of a deal with fixing a car, and since he doesn't care about vintage audio, he gave me the reciever.
My question is, when I get my L100s back together, is this reciever going to be adequate. It sounds pretty good with my Pioneer cs-77a speakers, but those seem to sound the same on most any reciever..lol
The L100s really show off a reciver's capabilities.
Back to the reciever..lol
I cannot seem to find any good information on this reciever, the highest marantz I have seen good info on is a 2235b, but mine has many more controls and such.

On a descriptive side, this marantz is in almost mint considtion.

Here are some pics of it.
Please excuse the black plastic cd player crunched in between good audio equipment, it is temporary..lol

I am listening to my 2265B right now. It is one of my all time favorites that I have owned. I am currently running it through a set of Pioneer CS-911's and a set of Allied 331 bookshelf size speakers. I have not had the oportunity to try a variety of speakers, but I can not see where you would have a problem. As you probably know it is rated 65 watts per channel, but it seems to be rated low in my opinion. There are some great instructions on the cleaning process for this unit on the board here, so do a search and you sholud be able to find some info. Let me know if you have any questions. I am no expert, but I might be able to answer some questions you may have.

Thanks for the info jonman.
I got my L100 apart and saw that my crap digital reciever had made the cone pull the tensil from the contact, after some soldering, it works fine.
This reciever is the best sounding reciever I have ever had running these L100s.
I hope when I get my second set of L100s built, the marantz will run them.
If not, I have a Sherwood 7100a reciever that sounds purty good. Not near as good as this marantz though.
Now I see why die hard marantz fans love their stuff so much.

On another upside, I acquired an Elac Harmichord 10H turntable that can play 78s...hehe
My PL-530 wont play my 78s.
Yes, I actually listen to 78s..

The 2265B is also one of my all time Marantz favorites. And I've have/had a number of them. Including it's little brothers the 2238B, 2252B. It has plenty of power for normal to fairly loud listeniing. I've tried it out with a number of speakers and no problem. It does have a warmer sound than the SX-950. It also gets kinda boomy with certain newer CDs. But overall very nice.

The 2265b is one of my prized units and delivers great bass (try testing different speakers to get a good match). I think it was the first (or one of the first) units with the newer silver dial but retaining the old glory look and I know it is well regarded in terms of the Marantz lineup. I also have two superb 2235b's with the older sexy black dial.

Now go get a lottery ticket and ride that wave fortune!

i second that! i love my 2252B. It has...as it seems...the same exact controls and buttons that yours does. your loudness button will never be off, even at low volume. i think that it's essential to have it on.

Kasra said:
i second that! i love my 2252B. It has...as it seems...the same exact controls and buttons that yours does. your loudness button will never be off, even at low volume. i think that it's essential to have it on.

"Loudness button"? You should never have your loudness button engaged at high or even moderate loudness or risk early expiration of your drivers. The loudness button should only be used at low volumes to boost key listening frequencies. Could, might, maybe, your tweeter replacement needs have been avoided?

Last edited:
Raphael said:
"Loudness button"? You should never have your loudness button engaged at high or even moderate loudness or risk early expiration of your drivers. The loudness button should only be used at low volumes to boost key listening frequencies. Could your tweeter replacement needs have been avoided?

Please explain this to my son....:)

Raphael said:
"Loudness button"? You should never have your loudness button engaged at high or even moderate loudness or risk early expiration of your drivers. The loudness button should only be used at low volumes to boost key listening frequencies. Could your tweeter replacement needs have been avoided?

Thanks for the heads up Raphael. I use my loudness button continuosly. Although for the most part I listen at a low or moderate level I will shut the loudness off when I do crank it up.

no, i bought that speaker with a dead tweeter.
it's yet to sound loud enough that i should be worrying.

Thanks for the comments and information guys.
I only use loudness when listening at low volumes, if you'll notice in the image, I use the eq mostly.
See, I have it perfectly tuned..lol, for CDs anyway.
The 9KHz filter really helps when I play 78s on my Elac HarmiChord 10H.
After playing with the settings and eq, I have made this reciever produce a uniquely warm, yet clear sound on my L100s. This definitely makes the cs-77s sound like crap compared the L100s..lol
I never knew these L100s could sound so perfect.

This reciever also works great with me teac 4010a r2r.
Now, to get my second set of L100s finished and move these pioneer cs77s to the shop(insulated and enclosed)

I use the filters mainly for old r2r tapes and my 45 and 78 records.
I need a 6KHz filter for my 78s(victrola records)
For the tone mode setting, I leave it at "in" because I use a 10 band EQ(31Hz to 16KHz settings).

jonman said:
Does anyone have any opinions on the setting for the tone mode or filter settings on the 2265B?

It does what its suppose too. But it's to much fiddling around for me. With good speakers and source you can play everything flat, unless you get a badly mastered CD or something. Then you have to tweak it a bit.

My original system consisted on the Marantz 2250, JBL L 100 and Pioneer PL 5X DD Turntable. The 2265 / L 100 system should be great.

Ron

Awesome setup you have there jblmar.
Thanks for the answer.
Do you know if it will run 4x L100s ok?
I am currently building a second set with the pro woofers and mids.
If I calculate correctly, each speaker(with 4 attached to reciever) will recieve 32.5watts each, is this sufficient?

Note- I am not a bass-a-holic.

I ran some HPM-100s and large infinity RSbs with no problem. It sounded pretty good, but not sure what kinda load it puts on the receiver.

Back
Top Bottom