Marantz 2270 ad from the 70s redux

Zekeman

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
We had significant flooding in the Chicago area last week and I picked up a Marantz 2270 out of the trash today dripping wet. I put a high velocity fan in front of it for a couple of hours and just like the old ad from the 70s it powered up! It has weak output but it works .

IMG_4063.JPG

Good find, but unfortunate for the original owner. Looks to be a fun restoration project though!

I'm cleaning it now. Have made quite a bit of progress. The tuning capacitor is filthy. I'm going to need to rinse it down with non-residue cleaner.

I wonder if its possible to buy 5 gallon buckets of TV Tuner Cleaner and submerge the whole thing?
There is available electric motor cleaning solvent. I saw a demo years ago where they put a very dirty 480V AC 3 phase motor into the bucket as it was running and it got unbelievably clean.
Looked almost like new when done. I often wonder if this solvent used properly with out current being applied of course, could clean electronics.

Part of the John and Helen Gazda family that lived on the southside of Chi. years ago?
I dont think so, but seeing as my great grandpa was a alcoholic recluse who didnt talk about family and has been dead for nearly 60 years, theres no telling, John could have been his nephew or brother

Back
Top Bottom