Marantz 2270 easy lamp replacement?

Lucas G

I've seen threads including some step-by-step guides but is there a video or more interactive instruction to replacing the lamps on my 2270?

Just bought one with lamps burnt out. I'm not super handy with a soldering iron - is there a way to do it without one? My local shop (in Los Angeles, George Meyer) quoted $225 to replace lamps which seems absurd. How long will it take me? Is there a way to do it sans-soldering?

Extremely easy to renew the dial and meter lamps as they snap right in.
Replacing the indicator lamps requires a little bit of soldering.

Bob

Indicator lamps are a bitch, plain and simple. You have to be really careful of the tuner string too that is right in the way.... On e slip of the hot iron and then you have to restring the tuner. Another fun job.

Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

Indicator lamps are a bitch, plain and simple. You have to be really careful of the tuner string too that is right in the way.... On e slip of the hot iron and then you have to restring the tuner. Another fun job.

Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:
Sure you have to be careful so just be careful. It's not that difficult and defintly not worth $225 to have someone else do it. Is the guy trying to retire from the job? Must have too much business.

I just picked up one of those myself and I want to relamp it. Do these also need vellum replced?

I just picked up one of those myself and I want to relamp it. Do these also need vellum replced?
Typically recommended but usually not entirely required if you're okay with the aqua/green tint of the dial being stronger. I usually leave it if I am using warm white LEDS, however, the old paper can have dispersion issues.

You have it open and access to the velum. Changing the velum just seems like the right thing to do. The old velum will definitely be yellow/brown and affect the color.

Burned that dial string myself replacing those indicator lamps! The good new is that I had plenty of opportunity to practice my dial-restringing skills. That did come in handy as the next Fisher receiver I restored came with a broken dial string.

I am going to change the vellum but nobody local has the 48lb vellum. Is there a good source on line for sheets of it.

I just went to Amazon and searched on translucent vellum 48#. I got a pack of 50 8-1/2" X 11" sheets that will last a lifetime for under $15.

You will need a good double sided tape to attach it to the back of the dial face. I use Thermoweb Super Tape from Amazon. I keep it in 1/8" and 1/4" widths. I usually use the 1/8" for the vellum.

Thanks again. That was my next question. Then how do you reattach the dial face? I saw a Blueglow video on getting it off.

I use the same Super Tape to attach the dial face to the chassis. Basically, one layer between dial face and vellum, and another layer between vellum and chassis. Just be sure the dial face is lined up properly with the chassis before pressing it down and adhering the tape.

Back
Top Bottom