Marantz 2270 Engraved Survey

dgunnr

Marantz Owner
Hi everyone! I recently bought, and had restored, a beautiful Marantz 2270 Silver Engraved receiver. The restoration was done fellow Audiokarma member Salbreth1. He did a phenomenal job. This purchase was by accident. I knew it was an engraved 2270 due to the serial number being between 1,000 and 5,000 but I did not expect it to arrive with the Silver face plate. From experience you only see a few 2270 silver engraved models from time to time. A recent Silver engraved face plate only sold for around $300 on E-Bay.

My question is out of the 4,000 total engraved 2270 receivers made, how many were made with the silver engraved finish? They appear to be very rare within the 4,000 total made 2270 engraved units. The engraved 2270's themselves were very rare. Consider that only 4,000 2270 engraved receivers were produced (4.7%) out of a total 2270 model production run of 84,854.

I have also seen two types of Silver engraved face plates. Mine has a high gloss finish. The other Silver engraved face plate I have seen in person was a very coarse looking finish. This coarse finish resembles units with a serial number just above the 5,000 mark.

My Silver engraved 2270 has serial #3771. The following serial numbers (#479, #1558, #1521 and #3321) are all 2270 champagne engraved receivers that I own, sold or have recently been on E-Bay.

So Marantz 2270 engraved owners lets try and and combine some information on this question. If you have a Silver or Champagne engraved 2270 provide your serial number so maybe an accurate database can be established on this very rare receiver!!! Also Silver engraved owners indicate a glossy or coarse looking finish. In the photos, the left picture is a 2270 with the glossy Silver finish and on the right is the Champagne 2270. I feel very lucky to have been able to buy both units, they are still stunning after all these years!!! Thank everyone in advance for their help.

Attachments

• IMAG2366_zpshebelgws.jpg
    IMAG2366_zpshebelgws.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 642
Last edited:
Interesting. I have never seen a champagne model that was not engraved?? Perhaps someone could include a picture of this type receiver??? I thought the cost cutting came after the serial # 5,000. Perhaps others can chime in about this.

As you mentioned someone could place an engraved faceplate on a later model, however, the serial # wont match and would indicate that fact.

No there are not serial numbers on the faceplate. My point was if some did swap an engraved faceplate on a later serial # over 5,000 I already know that is not an original. A seller on E-Bay tried it and was scolded pretty good for his misrepresentation. It was actually pretty funny how bad he got spanked about it.

The serial number is really the only way to tell. Units after the 5,000 made also had black only connectors like the engraved units. In addition the after 5,000 units also had "tuning" by the gyro wheel like the engraved unit.

The whole point of someone putting an engraved face plate on a later unit is really not that important because the serial number on the chassis exposes that. What i am trying to key on in is when the silver engraved units were made within the 4,000 production run by serial number range. Hard to guess but i'm thinking in the hundreds. Also, i have been watching these units for awhile and i have never seen a silk screened champagne front. I could be wrong but i don't think so?????

FWIW, I own a "coarse" silver stamped 2230, serial # 4078. From what I understand, the serial numbering strategy for the 2230 and 2215 match that of the 2270, and including them in your survey may be helpful in narrowing down when the silver stamped faceplates appeared. Looks like it was towards the end of the initial run of 4,000 stamped/engraved units as Marantz may have already been trying out different faceplate vendors to cut costs... :dunno:

Just finished working on silver engraved 2245. Serial number 3162. It is course faced unit

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 270
My contribution to engraved faceplate

Hello,

My contribution with a 2270 model serial number 1098 currently under restoration.
After PS, Tone and Phono done, she is singing nicefully.
Silmic 2 were used whenever available and also Nichicon KG for the two bigs.
To be urgently done the two Amps, MJE243 difficult to find here.

Also, cosmetic not so bad I used led's and changed vellum.

All this made easy after reading carefully all posts, advises and recommandations made by members. Thanks a lot to all of you.

Cheers

Alain

Attachments

• IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 179
My silver engraved 2245 is a Canadian model with a serial #61835 it's all original so I'm not sure about units with serial numbers under 4000 being the only engraved ones ?
Maybe it's a Canadian thing lol

Hi everyone! I recently bought, and had restored, a beautiful Marantz 2270 Silver Engraved receiver. The restoration was done fellow Audiokarma member Salbreth1. He did a phenomenal job. This purchase was by accident. I knew it was an engraved 2270 due to the serial number being between 1,000 and 5,000 but I did not expect it to arrive with the Silver face plate. From experience you only see a few 2270 silver engraved models from time to time. A recent Silver engraved face plate only sold for around $300 on E-Bay.

My question is out of the 4,000 total engraved 2270 receivers made, how many were made with the silver engraved finish? They appear to be very rare within the 4,000 total made 2270 engraved units. The engraved 2270's themselves were very rare. Consider that only 4,000 2270 engraved receivers were produced (4.7%) out of a total 2270 model production run of 84,854.

I have also seen two types of Silver engraved face plates. Mine has a high gloss finish. The other Silver engraved face plate I have seen in person was a very coarse looking finish. This coarse finish resembles units with a serial number just above the 5,000 mark.

My Silver engraved 2270 has serial #3771. The following serial numbers (#479, #1558, #1521 and #3321) are all 2270 champagne engraved receivers that I own, sold or have recently been on E-Bay.

So Marantz 2270 engraved owners lets try and and combine some information on this question. If you have a Silver or Champagne engraved 2270 provide your serial number so maybe an accurate database can be established on this very rare receiver!!! Also Silver engraved owners indicate a glossy or coarse looking finish. In the photos, the left picture is a 2270 with the glossy Silver finish and on the right is the Champagne 2270. I feel very lucky to have been able to buy both units, they are still stunning after all these years!!! Thank everyone in advance for their help.
My Champagne engraved, gold chassis. Un-finished edges of face, and Mis-Stamped faux wood/metal cover. #1037 Catrafter Restoration

Engraved Champagne, serial 1037 . Gold chassis, unfinished edge of face, mis-stamped faux wood/metal case.

Attachments

• image[7].jpeg
    image[7].jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 199
  • image[9].jpeg
    image[9].jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 216
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 203
  • image[1].jpeg
    image[1].jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 197
I have four 2270 all champagne faceplate but one of them is not engraved serial# 5116.
3 champagne engraved serial# 2417, 2808, and 3005
Thank you for your input! The 3095 and 5116 are really important.
I saw the #5116 I believe on eBay. This one is really important because it is past the magic 5,000 mark and it looked engraved in the photos. Please take no offense to this but are you certain it is non engraved? This has major implications to my survey so I had to ask this just to confirm. Thank you for responding and you have a fantastic collection sir.

So a 5116 number is a 4116 build correct? Under 5k)
No the engraved units began at 1000 and ended at 5000. So only 4000 total engraved units were built This is what is the consensus has been. It appears to be accurate. I had a unit that was 5025 +/- and it had a very course finish but not engraved. A course finish silver unit non engraved seems to have been produced right after the engraved units stopped being made. That is why the 5116 unit was so important to my survey. It confirms what I already believed based on serial # evidence.

have you ever seen or heard of a champagne non engraved? this might be even more rare than the silver engraves
Serial #'s 4434. 4665 4919 were all silver engraved course finish. Your 5116 appears to be a course finish non engraved unit. I can't tell 100% if champagne or silver finish?? It should be a silver finish. If it is, it is right after the engraved models ended. I had serial # 5025 +/- and it looked just like yours (silver-very course brushed aluminum). But this is not an engraved unit. It is a different finish before the more common softer finish became the norm on the 2270's.

Again there is a bright and course finish on the silver engraved units. The shiny finish silver engraved units were #'s 2670 2802 3452 and 4340. Course finish silver engraved were at #'s 4434 4665 4665 and 4919.

I need more info between 4,000 to 5,000 to really know how the full production run went. Each time I get information it tightens up the survey more and more. Please keep it coming 2270 engraved unit owners, we're getting closer and closer!!!!!!

the left one looks champange to me and thats how all my engrave units look like

The one on the left is silver, the one on the right is champagne. You can see the color difference side by side. One is silver the other darker and gold in color. Can u verify serial numbers again, I had the 2802 unit listed under the shiny silver engraved unit category.

The 2802
I own the serial 2802 its a champange engrave

where did you get the info for the serial 2802? I happen to own serial 2802 and it's a champagne engrave I believe here are some pictures you tell me if its not a champagne engrave but a silver engrave and its non
course. I can't tell View attachment 769696View attachment 769697View attachment 769698View attachment 769699
The difference they all look champagne to me. The 2802 is the one on the right with lights off and 2417 is the one with light on.

I own the serial 2802 its a champange engrave

where did you get the info for the serial 2802? I happen to own serial 2802 and it's a champagne engrave I believe here are some pictures you tell me if its not a champagne engrave but a silver engrave and its non
course. I can't tell View attachment 769696View attachment 769697View attachment 769698View attachment 769699
The difference they all look champagne to me. The 2802 is the one on the right with lights off and 2417 is the one with light on.

2417 is champagne
2802 is silver
Both have the high gloss finish. But you can tell in the photos they have different color tints. The course finish 2270 engraved units have a duller brushed finish like your 5116 unit.

since it's not engraved it's not as rare as the silver engraved units. My surveys purpose is to establish how many total engraved units were made (4,000 seems to be accurate). Also how many silver were made and were they brushed or glossy finishes.

Your 5115 unit, It's the same plate (except engraved) as some of the silver engraved units made in the 4,000+ range. I had a 2270 just like yours and it was very attractive. I have no idea how many brushed aluminum face plates were made like yours.

It just shows u Marantz had a lot of different face plates combinations before settling into the smooth bright silver look that the majority 2270's have.

I just got a 2230 champagne engraved unit in with S/N 5080 so we broke the 5K barrier! The chassis is stamped with that number too so it's for real. Also it's an international unit with the re-strappable primaries but has the standard Marantz marked two prong 9' power cord - interesting!

Hi Marantz owners, a 2270 engraved face plate update.

Some general information (2270 only)
1. It appears that the engraved production total of 4,000 units appears to be very accurate. Production started at 1,000 and ended at 5,000 or very close. Serial #'s 5025 and 5116 are silver but non engraved units. This strongly supports this information.
2. As of right now 65% (out of 4,000) are champagne engraved units verse 35% are silver engraved. I believe that 35% will drop to under 25% once I get more information.

So what I need to really finish this is for anyone with a 2270 engraved unit to provide the serial # and is it champagne or the silver finish. Provide a photo(s) as well for proof.

Here are some ranges where I have gaps for the entire range (ex-1800 would mean no information from 1800-1899). So filling in these these gaps is very important. Here are the gaps I currently have no information for:
1800,2000,2700,2900,3500,3600,3800,4200, 4500. If I can fill these gaps in I can really get an accurate estimate on how many champagne verse silver engraved units were made. Thank you for your help!

Thank you for your response. I already had your info down, you hold the title of lowest serial # in my survey. The color of the inside chassis would only add some confusion to this survey. If I can answer the 2 main points of this survey then I would be thrilled with that.

I have to admit most of my information gained is from watching e-bay sales and prior Google posts. This site has not provided much information at all. I guess there are not nearly the number of Marantz 2270 engraved owners as I thought.

Back
Top Bottom