Marantz 2270 Engraved Survey

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by dgunnr, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Steven Tate

Steven Tate AK Subscriber Subscriber

Be safe, Brother! :thumbsup:

rBuckner likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. allhartfidelity

allhartfidelity AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have seen one 2385 with a black face. I have had and still have a 2285b, as well as Pioneer, Sansui black face so collect, and watch for them. The 2385 i did try to procure, however the owner backed out. Have seen no other original Euro models other than that so far.

3. thxdave

thxdave Lava Lamp repairman Subscriber

IMG_0412.jpg IMG_0428.jpg Finally got back to the 2270 and it appears to be a silver-face engraved unit but this place is SO dark that it's hard to tell. It's serial #1778 and here's some pix. From some angles, it looked champagne but with flash it appears as silver. Dave

4. allhartfidelity

#479 you say? Wouldn't that be 1479?

5. dgunnr

dgunnr Marantz Owner Subscriber

Based on the serial number it should be a champagne engraved unit. It also looks champagne colored in the first photo. Thanks for the update

6. thxdave

thxdave Lava Lamp repairman Subscriber

Next time I go by there, I'll try to remember to carry a silver faceplate with me to shoot them together. That brown shelf bounces a bit of warm color up on the face in photos and may be causing a slight color cast.

7. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Bon Ton Roule Subscriber

Just dropped by to bump this thread, to mention that my 2270 has a gold lacquered 'engraved' faceplate, but my S/N is 22316, and that is way past 5000. Though I've read elsewhere it may be Canadian model. I got it off ebay 10-12 years ago.
    And IIRC, the seller was in either, Detroit or Cleveland, so it being Canadian wouldn't be too outlandish a possibility.

Though the geography isn't all that conclusive, really, as I'm in NJ, and I've picked up a few pieces of Canadian gear here, locally, as well.

8. allhartfidelity

Decent pics of the face, close up, as well as the serial badge and rivets/screws that secure the badge.

9. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Bon Ton Roule Subscriber

It's been in storage for about 3-4 years. But I will try to get pics when I get over there again.

10. dgunnr

Would be interested in seeing photos of what you have since the number should not be a engraved unit.

11. PooPoo

PooPoo Active Member

It’s a replaced donor Engraved faceplate from a early model on a late model. Maybe the original unit broke or something so they kept the Engraved faceplate then got a working model and switched the plates. No way a serial number in the 22,000 should have Engraved faceplate.

12. allhartfidelity

It dont.

13. PooPoo

PooPoo Active Member

The top one is a Low Serial Champange tge bottom one is a standard late serial silver non Engraved you can tell by the gyro-tuning printed on the tuning wheel. Real silver Engraved will Be Low Serial And tuning wheel will say tuning that all.

14. bluehills5

bluehills5 Active Member

I just picked up a champagne 2270 s/n 4302. Has silver knobs and yellow zinc chassis. Got it at a local thrift store and my heart started to skip beat when I saw it. When I touched the face and felt the engraving it almost stopped. The guy plugged it in and the lights flickered on dimly, "40 bucks sound reasonable" he said...

15. PooPoo

PooPoo Active Member

Thrift stores are all hip to these I highly doubt any thrift store will let these go for 40$ they got the internet these days and they know what these are worth. Unless you got it at some little old lady’s garage sale I don’t believe in these thrift store scores anymore. If you did score then someone in the electronics department is going to get in big trouble for mis pricing the item.

16. PooPoo

PooPoo Active Member

Almost all the good stuff now don’t even get a chance to hit the store shelves they go up on their auction site

17. bluehills5

bluehills5 Active Member

I think it would be fairer to label the store a "junk shop". It's stacked floor to ceiling with all sorts of crud - furniture, kitchen stuff, car parts, VHS tapes you name it. No order, no shelves and no prices. In the outer suburbs of New York there used to be lots of these type of stores but rising rents are unfortunately killing them all off. Here's a pic as purchased..
    20171021_180030.jpg

18. PooPoo

PooPoo Active Member

You got a live one there! Nice find... bet that was the quickest transaction you done I would of paid and dash out the door without the receipt. Yay!

19. dgunnr

Hard to tell from the photos because not cleaned up, is it Silver or Champagne in color?

This is a very important number because i have no units in between 4202-4339 which is one of my bigger gaps. Can u please be accurate on if silver or champagne in color. Thank you!!

I think it would be fairer to label the store a "junk shop". It's stacked floor to ceiling with all sorts of crud - furniture, kitchen stuff, car parts, VHS tapes you name it. No order, no shelves and no prices. In the outer suburbs of New York there used to be lots of these type of stores but rising rents are unfortunately killing them all off. Here's a pic as purchased..
    View attachment 1057271 [/QUOTE]

20. kramden

kramden Active Member

dgunnr, in your analysis, have you seen an appreciable difference in pricing that would indicate that the silver or champagne is more valuable than the later s/n's. Ie: are the engraved silver faced units more expensive due to rarity? (1970 Barracuda barn find in original condition)