Marantz 2270 Engraved Survey

Thank you for your input. Strange but the lower serial number units 1000-3000 appear from all sources far more frequently than the 3000-5000 range pieces. Out of the 60+ units actually documented less than 10% are silver compared to the 35% it could be from the data gaps. I'll keep plugging away till I fill in the gaps.

Interestingly, I also wonder how many European faceplate units were made. I have only seen originals on the 2285B (own one).
Never saw one on anything else. Not sure if the 2385 with the partial black background on the radio tuning section and radio centering and signal strength meters counts was a "European model or just a cosmetic change for one year.
I have seen one 2385 with a black face. I have had and still have a 2285b, as well as Pioneer, Sansui black face so collect, and watch for them. The 2385 i did try to procure, however the owner backed out. Have seen no other original Euro models other than that so far.

IMG_0412.jpg IMG_0428.jpg Finally got back to the 2270 and it appears to be a silver-face engraved unit but this place is SO dark that it's hard to tell. It's serial #1778 and here's some pix. From some angles, it looked champagne but with flash it appears as silver. Dave

Hi everyone! I recently bought, and had restored, a beautiful Marantz 2270 Silver Engraved receiver. The restoration was done fellow Audiokarma member Salbreth1. He did a phenomenal job. This purchase was by accident. I knew it was an engraved 2270 due to the serial number being between 1,000 and 5,000 but I did not expect it to arrive with the Silver face plate. From experience you only see a few 2270 silver engraved models from time to time. A recent Silver engraved face plate only sold for around $300 on E-Bay.

My question is out of the 4,000 total engraved 2270 receivers made, how many were made with the silver engraved finish? They appear to be very rare within the 4,000 total made 2270 engraved units. The engraved 2270's themselves were very rare. Consider that only 4,000 2270 engraved receivers were produced (4.7%) out of a total 2270 model production run of 84,854.

I have also seen two types of Silver engraved face plates. Mine has a high gloss finish. The other Silver engraved face plate I have seen in person was a very coarse looking finish. This coarse finish resembles units with a serial number just above the 5,000 mark.

My Silver engraved 2270 has serial #3771. The following serial numbers (#479, #1558, #1521 and #3321) are all 2270 champagne engraved receivers that I own, sold or have recently been on E-Bay.

So Marantz 2270 engraved owners lets try and and combine some information on this question. If you have a Silver or Champagne engraved 2270 provide your serial number so maybe an accurate database can be established on this very rare receiver!!! Also Silver engraved owners indicate a glossy or coarse looking finish. In the photos, the left picture is a 2270 with the glossy Silver finish and on the right is the Champagne 2270. I feel very lucky to have been able to buy both units, they are still stunning after all these years!!! Thank everyone in advance for their help.
#479 you say? Wouldn't that be 1479?

Based on the serial number it should be a champagne engraved unit. It also looks champagne colored in the first photo. Thanks for the update

Based on the serial number it should be a champagne engraved unit. It also looks champagne colored in the first photo. Thanks for the update

Next time I go by there, I'll try to remember to carry a silver faceplate with me to shoot them together. That brown shelf bounces a bit of warm color up on the face in photos and may be causing a slight color cast.

Just dropped by to bump this thread, to mention that my 2270 has a gold lacquered 'engraved' faceplate, but my S/N is 22316, and that is way past 5000. Though I've read elsewhere it may be Canadian model. I got it off ebay 10-12 years ago.
And IIRC, the seller was in either, Detroit or Cleveland, so it being Canadian wouldn't be too outlandish a possibility.

Though the geography isn't all that conclusive, really, as I'm in NJ, and I've picked up a few pieces of Canadian gear here, locally, as well.

Just dropped by to bump this thread, to mention that my 2270 has a gold lacquered 'engraved' faceplate, but my S/N is 22316, and that is way past 5000. Though I've read elsewhere it may be Canadian model. I got it off ebay 10-12 years ago.
And IIRC, the seller was in either, Detroit or Cleveland, so it being Canadian wouldn't be too outlandish a possibility.

Though the geography isn't all that conclusive, really, as I'm in NJ, and I've picked up a few pieces of Canadian gear here, locally, as well.
Decent pics of the face, close up, as well as the serial badge and rivets/screws that secure the badge.

Would be interested in seeing photos of what you have since the number should not be a engraved unit.
It’s a replaced donor Engraved faceplate from a early model on a late model. Maybe the original unit broke or something so they kept the Engraved faceplate then got a working model and switched the plates. No way a serial number in the 22,000 should have Engraved faceplate.

It’s a replaced donor Engraved faceplate from a early model on a late model. Maybe the original unit broke or something so they kept the Engraved faceplate then got a working model and switched the plates. No way a serial number in the 22,000 should have Engraved faceplate.
It dont.

When I get my silver engraved unit back I will move some knobs between my champagne unit and see if there is a difference. From owning both units I don't believe there was a difference believe it or not. But my eyes are not as sharp as they used to be.

Thank you for your support in this thread. To me this is Marantz history that needs to be done while the vintage gear is popular. I was hoping some former Marantz executives or dealers would chime in as well.

If I can just get some more information on the gaps I noted I can pin this down pretty good. But I will say the 4,000 production run appears to be accurate on the 2270.
The top one is a Low Serial Champange tge bottom one is a standard late serial silver non Engraved you can tell by the gyro-tuning printed on the tuning wheel. Real silver Engraved will Be Low Serial And tuning wheel will say tuning that all.

I just picked up a champagne 2270 s/n 4302. Has silver knobs and yellow zinc chassis. Got it at a local thrift store and my heart started to skip beat when I saw it. When I touched the face and felt the engraving it almost stopped. The guy plugged it in and the lights flickered on dimly, "40 bucks sound reasonable" he said...

I just picked up a champagne 2270 s/n 4302. Has silver knobs and yellow zinc chassis. Got it at a local thrift store and my heart started to skip beat when I saw it. When I touched the face and felt the engraving it almost stopped. The guy plugged it in and the lights flickered on dimly, "40 bucks sound reasonable" he said...
Thrift stores are all hip to these I highly doubt any thrift store will let these go for 40$ they got the internet these days and they know what these are worth. Unless you got it at some little old lady’s garage sale I don’t believe in these thrift store scores anymore. If you did score then someone in the electronics department is going to get in big trouble for mis pricing the item.

Thrift stores are all hip to these I highly doubt any thrift store will let these go for 40$ they got the internet these days and they know what these are worth. Unless you got it at some little old lady’s garage sale I don’t believe in these thrift store scores anymore. If you did score then someone in the electronics department is going to get in big trouble for mis pricing the item.
Almost all the good stuff now don’t even get a chance to hit the store shelves they go up on their auction site

I think it would be fairer to label the store a "junk shop". It's stacked floor to ceiling with all sorts of crud - furniture, kitchen stuff, car parts, VHS tapes you name it. No order, no shelves and no prices. In the outer suburbs of New York there used to be lots of these type of stores but rising rents are unfortunately killing them all off. Here's a pic as purchased..
20171021_180030.jpg

I think it would be fairer to label the store a "junk shop". It's stacked floor to ceiling with all sorts of crud - furniture, kitchen stuff, car parts, VHS tapes you name it. No order, no shelves and no prices. In the outer suburbs of New York there used to be lots of these type of stores but rising rents are unfortunately killing them all off. Here's a pic as purchased..
View attachment 1057271
You got a live one there! Nice find... bet that was the quickest transaction you done I would of paid and dash out the door without the receipt. Yay!

Hard to tell from the photos because not cleaned up, is it Silver or Champagne in color?

This is a very important number because i have no units in between 4202-4339 which is one of my bigger gaps. Can u please be accurate on if silver or champagne in color. Thank you!!

View attachment 1057271[/QUOTE]

dgunnr, in your analysis, have you seen an appreciable difference in pricing that would indicate that the silver or champagne is more valuable than the later s/n's. Ie: are the engraved silver faced units more expensive due to rarity? (1970 Barracuda barn find in original condition)

Back
Top Bottom