Marantz 2270 Engraved Survey

As far I know Marantz 2230, 2245, 2270 serials were made like this:

USA started with 1001
Canada started with 60001
Europe started with 50001
Asia started with 80001[/QUOTE]

I am only concerned with the 2270 due to conducting research. Are you indicating the 2270 started with serial #1001? Out of what you posted that is accurate. I cannot really vouch anything concerning the other models do not want to sidetrack this link with other models that take away the research i am trying to do regarding just the 2270.

This should be a champagne face plate. Do you have photo or can you confirm champagne or silver? Thank you

I just bought serial number 2715 on eBay with a silver Champagne faceplate. Sold with "no sound" hmmm notice no jumpers? Could it be THAT easy :)

1.jpg

2.JPG

I just bought serial number 2715 on eBay with a silver Champagne faceplate. Sold with "no sound" hmmm notice no jumpers? Could it be THAT easy :)

View attachment 1441981

View attachment 1441983
Not always. Some are bridged internally. Mine was stock bridged.
Technically, its not a "Silver Champaign " its one or the other. The term is kept seperate because there are silver engraved, and Champaign engraved. As to not confuse the 2.

Not always. Some are bridged internally. Mine was stock bridged.
Technically, its not a "Silver Champaign " its one or the other. The term is kept seperate because there are silver engraved, and Champaign engraved. As to not confuse the 2.
Oops, sorry, I meant to type silver engraved faceplate, but had 'champagne' on my mind as that's what caught my attention in the eBay ad. Anyway, I bought a Silver Engraved 2270 so add serial number 2715 to the Engraved Survey :)

Oops, sorry, I meant to type silver engraved faceplate, but had 'champagne' on my mind as that's what caught my attention in the eBay ad. Anyway, I bought a Silver Engraved 2270 so add serial number 2715 to the Engraved Survey :)
Sweet beans! As far as my past and current units, the jumpers arent needed for the 2270 or 2275, nor 2285. Not sure what other models the internal bypass covers but these 3 for sure. Either way, lack of output isnt a big deal anyway. Good score.

I'd check with a pair of jumpers just to be sure, the three that I have with sn's higher and lower than yours need those jumpers in place.

I'd check with a pair of jumpers just to be sure, the three that I have with sn's higher and lower than yours need those jumpers in place.
I fully intend to. All 2270s I have worked on, owned, seen or read about require external pre-amp out to main-in jumpers. None are internally configured according to the Marantz literature. However, every time I find one of these where it states "makes no sound" (and the jumpers are missing) sure enough installing jumpers restores some sound but there are always twelve other things wrong :)

I fully intend to. All 2270s I have worked on, owned, seen or read about require external pre-amp out to main-in jumpers. None are internally configured according to the Marantz literature. However, every time I find one of these where it states "makes no sound" (and the jumpers are missing) sure enough installing jumpers restores some sound but there are always twelve other things wrong :)
Agreed with all.
1. Ive bought them missing, (reduced price if course) and they just needed jumpers.
2. I currently own the 3 mentioned 2270 (serial number 1037 seen in this post) no jumpers, 2275 with none, and 2285 with none. Ive owned 4 others with none, and have 6 other with jumpers. Have owned maybe 50 others, having lost track of how many ive sold over the years.
3. Ive also seen the internal jumpers fail, (one channel dead)
4. As mentioned clearly still a good idea to check
5. The guy who has restored 6 or 7 of mine (Catrafter) has also noted internal jumpers of many others.
6. I Suspect since have you not seen this jumper/no jumper trend although rare, perhaps its related to build location or other geographic or plant location? Or some other reason unknown. I can assure you, the condition does exist.
Perhaps along with engraved serials cataloged we may note a separate thread or poll for those with and without jumpers.
All 14 of my quads have them. Worthy to note, the jumpers disabled the internal bypass as i recall was the case with my 2270. Think it spread the POS as it went through. In one unit i had, this was spread permanent and caused failure. Perhaps the method was deemed unreliable. I also Imagine (conjecture still) it bypasses for resistance sake perhaps? As to not load the preamp side? Not too sure of that aspect however. Clear it is for certain that not many units were this way.

Last edited:
Just saw your reply and photos. Your particular unit is important because of the number as it falls between a gap i have in the survey. I have no unit information in the 27xx range and the champagne pieces pick up again in the 28xx range. The silver units in the 26xx range are very bright, not brushed looking. From the photos it looks like champagne finish more than the silver look. The champagne finishes are darker than the silver finish. I believe you have other Marantz models could you sit this next to another unit like the 2385 and carefully look at each (maybe send a photo in good light, not dark). The champagne will be darker. Thanks for your help i dont want to get this one wrong because it is an important number.

Just saw your reply and photos. Your particular unit is important because of the number as it falls between a gap i have in the survey. I have no unit information in the 27xx range and the champagne pieces pick up again in the 28xx range. The silver units in the 26xx range are very bright, not brushed looking. From the photos it looks like champagne finish more than the silver look. The champagne finishes are darker than the silver finish. I believe you have other Marantz models could you sit this next to another unit like the 2385 and carefully look at each (maybe send a photo in good light, not dark). The champagne will be darker. Thanks for your help i dont want to get this one wrong because it is an important number.
Will do, waiting for the 2270 to arrive, will post photos next to my 2385 :)

2 champagne here. #1564 & #1768. Just finished recapping both (Gold Tunes & Silmic II, etc.) all boards excluding tuners. They sound fantastic!

Tried to upload pics, but getting "file too large".

I believe you have other Marantz models could you sit this next to another unit like the 2385 and carefully look at each. The champagne will be darker.

Serial # 2715 arrived today unbelievably faceplate intact although cover and rear panel dented in despite bubble wrap and a few peanuts (and yes I literally begged the seller to pack/pad/support/protect for shipping and offered to pay more for materials to help get it shipped safely). Anyway my vote is # 2715 is in fact a Chapagne engraved 2270. The original photos were difficult to interpret but see photos below, clearly darker than the standard silver faceplates. Receiver is in poor shape obvious many prior repair efforts some missing pieces etc but will get to work on it in a few weeks :)

2270 (5).jpg

2270 (4).jpg

2270 (3).jpg

2270 (2).jpg

2270 (1).jpg

First thank you for the update. Second, best wishes in bringing the unit back to life and for you to enjoy. It is such a shame either the seller did not do a good job packing or the shipper damaged the unit. Wonder how many units are still left out there as they keep getting destroyed shipping.

Back
Top Bottom