Marantz 2270 power push switch replacement

Finnetric

I’m hoping to get some guidance on how to replace the broken power switch on my 2270. I’m not a tech, so layman terms are appreciated.

As you can see from the pics below, the switch is broken and as far as I know I have to replace the entire switch and suppression cap. With that said, here are my questions I’m hoping to resolve.

1. What’s the best switch replacement?
  2. What’s the best suppression cap replacement?
  3. Based on the wires below, how does the new switch solder on?
Thanks very much for any help you can provide! Hoping to get this unit back in action soon...
E76EF939-8A03-4253-8325-F2C18BB28A37.jpeg FA30369E-0F8F-40E2-8DBF-B5924547A846.jpeg 1A272F72-0DEC-4020-8B6D-B6A950DD9C22.jpeg AD95B40E-107A-49C8-9C53-F5F7A58B77C0.jpeg

If you want to do it yourself, I would suggest contacting Randy (AK member runningdog) either by PM or his website, irebuildmarantz.com. He carries the switch and suppressor and can give you the information you need to swap them. Just to point out the obvious, ALWAYS have the unit unplugged when dealing with the power switch. It is hot with line voltage. Good luck!
Steve

Here is how to wire a replacement switch on the 2270:

2270 power switch wiring resize.jpg

You see that it is wired just like the original switch. Here's why:

The brown wire comes directly from the power cord. It goes across the middle poles on the switch, so that the poles at the end will both be powered when the switch is closed. The orange wire leads back to the switched outlet. The yellow wire goes to the fuse, and from there to the transformer. It's the one that draws a lot of current at power up. So the suppressor goes across the brown and the yellow.

Note that this wiring applies to the 2270 only. Well...maybe the 2245 too. And your wire colors may vary although this combination is typical on the 2270. So check to see what wire is coming from the power cord, and what wires go to the fuse and the switched outlet. Or if there is even a separate wire for the switched outlet. Many models have just 2 wires, not three. And on some models the suppressor is mounted near the back panel rather than on the switch.

Switches are available from numerous resellers. The switch pictured is Digikey part number EG1018-ND.

Here is how to wire a replacement switch on the 2270:

View attachment 1199407

You see that it is wired just like the original switch. Here's why:

The brown wire comes directly from the power cord. It goes across the middle poles on the switch, so that the poles at the end will both be powered when the switch is closed. The orange wire leads back to the switched outlet. The yellow wire goes to the fuse, and from there to the transformer. It's the one that draws a lot of current at power up. So the suppressor goes across the brown and the yellow.

Note that this wiring applies to the 2270 only. Well...maybe the 2245 too. And your wire colors may vary although this combination is typical on the 2270. So check to see what wire is coming from the power cord, and what wires go to the fuse and the switched outlet. Or if there is even a separate wire for the switched outlet. Many models have just 2 wires, not three. And on some models the suppressor is mounted near the back panel rather than on the switch.

Switches are available from numerous resellers. The switch pictured is Digikey part number EG1018-ND.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the info

I’m hoping to get some guidance on how to replace the broken power switch on my 2270. I’m not a tech, so layman terms are appreciated.

As you can see from the pics below, the switch is broken and as far as I know I have to replace the entire switch and suppression cap. With that said, here are my questions I’m hoping to resolve.

1. What’s the best switch replacement?
  2. What’s the best suppression cap replacement?
  3. Based on the wires below, how does the new switch solder on?
Thanks very much for any help you can provide! Hoping to get this unit back in action soon...
View attachment 1198958 View attachment 1198959 View attachment 1198960 View attachment 1198961
HA! This photo saved my life. Another shop had hard-wired this receiver to be always on. I'm not sure why. Anyway, your photo let me know where the three wires--oriented by color--in a way that the schematic wasn't making sense to me. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom