1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Marantz 2270 / Thorens TD125 MKII/Denon DL110

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by tfri513, May 3, 2018.

1. tfri513

tfri513 New Member

Hello, I have a question re phono cartridge compatibility with my system. I have a Marantz 2270, and a Thorens TD125 MKII with original TP16 tonearm. I'm going to stick with this tonearm for now. Someone suggested I gt the Denon DL110 for my Thorens. But... Can I use this MC cartridge on my system? Any other suggestions? I want a warm, smooth sound.
    Thanks

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

It would be a stretch to get full volume. The cartridge puts out 1.6mV and the amp wants to see 1.8mV. But if you don't need all of those watts you could use that cartridge, but you will need to crank it a bit higher than normal. This will lead to a bit more phono stage noise getting into the system. Of course, a few db of gain going into the phono stage (head amp or SUT) or a phono amplifier into Aux will solve this level possible mis-match. It does work fine for many that have higher input requirements.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  3. fernarias

fernarias Super Member

DL-110 is compatible with MM. When it was selling for 80 dollars it was a great cartridge (I bought two for my Denon's) but now that it sells for 300 it's average in it's price range. A Nagaoka MP-110 is a better choice at $130 and the MP-150 is the best cartridge in the $300 range.

nbndtrain likes this.
  4. tfri513

tfri513 New Member

Thank you both for this advice.

5. fernarias

fernarias Super Member

Don't be afraid to buy a less expensive cartridge to start out. A grado green is really nice under 100. I also found this after I read you're post (kept me up till 3am listening to old eighties music too).
    He has four comparisons video between the DL and MP.

6. Chrisxo55441

Chrisxo55441 AK Subscriber Subscriber

i use an ortofon OM 30 on my TD-160 which also has the TP-16 arm and it is warm and smooth sounding to me, sounds wonderful. i prefer it over the OM 40 which i also have. the 40 is more detailed and better with very clean records as i picks up everything and not as warm.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. tfri513

tfri513 New Member

A very belated thanks for this, ferneries.