Marantz 2270 with 8 and 4 ohm Speakers

MFGuy

This is probably more of a general question than one specifically for my Marantz. Is it OK, or safe, for 4 ohm speakers (double OLA) and 8 ohm speakers to be on at the same time...speakers A at 4 ohm + speakers B at 8 ohm?

If you are running 4 ohm speakers, you can ONLY run one set at a time.
If you are running 8 ohm speakers, you can run two sets at the same time.
I would stick to just one pair of 8 ohm speakers because it will be much easier for the old girl to drive and it will run cooler.

Thanks for the information. I've often been temped to play all three speaker pairs (two pairs doubled up on A and also 8 ohms on B) but always hesitated. Even running 4 ohms, the receiver never gets too hot (I've never upped the volume past 11:30). So, another side question - if it's not running too hot, can damage still occur? There is a correlation between heat and fried components but there must be other means that result in a toasted amp. Am I off base?

Thank you all. 4 ohms hurts, 2.666... would be a killer. Thanks for the advise. Good to know that I had some common sense not to push that button.

I am in the same dilemma. I have a 2270 and currently switch between JBL L100s (8 ohm) and JBL 530s (6 ohm), depending on my mood. I never run them at the same time. I completely disconnect the speaker wires from the 2270 rather than to rely on the speaker selector (main - remote) when switching. I'd like to just leave the speaker wires connected and use the speaker selector. However, I am afraid of damaging the 2270 if by mistake I leave both speakers on for a second. Thanks for your help!

@RD Airlines When switching speakers on and off it's best to be at zero or low volume so as not to arc the switches. Unless you're really loud a brief time on for the two types of speakers isn't likely to hurt anything.

I use a separate unit (Niles SCV-4, old world) to switch speakers since I have 4 sets. I don't know if it matters much but it's versatile. A lot of these are on e b.

Back
Top Bottom