Marantz 2270 with no top plate for $400?

Should I bite the bullet and buy for $400?

• Total voters

Lucas G

On my local craigslist, there is a posting with a Marantz 2270 for $400. It work so and has a wooden case but has no top case.

This is what it looks like: https://images.craigslist.org/00W0W_lM5OtG6xmY_600x450.jpg

The wooden case is banged up too. Do you guys think this indicates bad condition (the lack of top case and bad wood cover)? Could I replace the top case with any of the other 22xx series top cases like [this](http://m.ebay.com/itm/172798162613?_mwBanner=1) or [this](http://m.ebay.com/itm/292193195685?_mwBanner=1)?

I'm planning to test the 2270 out with a turntable and with an aux from my phone to make sure both channels work. Anything else I should test.

I'm going to try to get it for a bit less ($250 to $350 but we'll see) - is this a good call? Is this a bad idea? What should I be looking for and what will fix prices look like around the road from my say, a local dealer (they wouldn't quote me but I'm near George Meyer)?

Would love some advice. As an audio noob trying to get into vinyl, should I pursue this? Please fill out the poll above.

This should really be in dollars and sense. I think that's way too much, and I love marantz stuff. If it works, minor problems like scratchy pots and switches, $200. Better deals to be had. I can see dirt or rust on top of the one metal box in there.

If the wood case is as beat up as you say and the top screen is missing then the value of the case itself isn't much at all.
That leaves the value of the 2270 itself.
You don't show any pics other than the one which indicates some rust/corrosion inside at a bare minimum.
If the faceplate is in good shape then maybe $250 .
If the faceplate is not then I would totally pass and wait for a nicer 2270 to come along.

Bob

I found the ad, face looks good, little dirty. Needs some dial lights. That is rust on the tuner box. If it works good, $200 isn't a bad price, but I'm used to picking them up cheap with some stupid problem.

For a lid, I don't know what models are the same size. If it were mine, I'd just try and patch it up. Some expanded metal, black spray paint, and patch a piece of wood into the corner.

If the wood case is as beat up as you say and the top screen is missing then the value of the case itself isn't much at all.
That leaves the value of the 2270 itself.
You don't show any pics other than the one which indicates some rust/corrosion inside at a bare minimum.
If the faceplate is in good shape then maybe $250 .
If the faceplate is not then I would totally pass and wait for a nicer 2270 to come along.

Bob
Where can I find them for reasonably cheap? I've been craigslist hunting for awhile

I found the ad, face looks good, little dirty. Needs some dial lights. That is rust on the tuner box. If it works good, $200 isn't a bad price, but I'm used to picking them up cheap with some stupid problem.

For a lid, I don't know what models are the same size. If it were mine, I'd just try and patch it up. Some expanded metal, black spray paint, and patch a piece of wood into the corner.
Where do you find them cheap?

Yard sales, estate auctions, my friends. My friend sold me a 2252 for $100. It had a scratchy volume pot, and needed lights. It's in beautiful shape, it's my garage radio. I bought a pioneer sx 650 for my barn for $35, from an auction, nothing wrong with it.

That price is fine. I missed one locally for $195 the other day and was not happy about it. These don't come up cheap very often.

Obviously try to get it for less, but if you can fix it yourself, $400 is absolutely fine. Even a beat-up wood case is probably worth $75-100.

As I was reading the posts mentioning $200, $250 for a 2270, I had to check the posting dates to see if the date was 2007. Here in 2017, the 2270s I see on CL are going for $450 and up, and two flippers have them at $1000 each. Yes, you may luck into someone selling for $200 or less, but you will be one of the ten or so people calling.

In the shape you have described $300-$350 may be a go. Many people have left the metal lid off when they put the 2270 in the wood case, thinking it will cool better. I would listen for the relay click , if it takes longer than 7-8 seconds, you should recap the power supply. But you should still recap the power supply for most vintage Marantz gear. I have just done that on a 2270 I picked up a couple of months ago, along with the preamp and phono boards.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom