Marantz 2285B arrives!

Urizen

Lunatic Member
The seller did a good packing job. No damage.:thmbsp:

The faceplate edges have a couple of very small scratches and few nicks. The front of the face is clean. All four corners are sharp, and the lettering is perfect. The case is dent free with only a few light scratches on the paint near the rear on one side, none through the paint.

Using natural bristle brushes and some compressed air, I dusted out the interior. There was a light coating of dust. The most dust was around the volume control shaft, which the seller said had "shorted".

I cleaned the faceplate and knobs and then gave all of the push-buttons and pots a nice bath with De-Oxit.

After cleaning, I powered her up and the relay clicked in about a second. Good sign. I then checked the offset on both sets of speaker outs. The results were basically the same on both sets. R -05.8 mV, L -00.2 mV. I then adjusted the offset to R 00.2 mV , L 00.2 mV.

Replaced the case. and she's now in the rack. All of the controls are smooth and static free, including the "shorted" volume control.

It sounds very good. I am currently running it with the tone controls bypassed through my modded set of Dynaco A-25s. I hear no distortion or hiss. Great bass and the typical smooth top, with power to spare.

The only issues are one blown meter lamp, one blown dial lamp, and some paint on the power cord.:thmbsp:

I got lucky.:music:

A few pics:

2285b1.jpg

2285b2.jpg

2285b3.jpg

2285b4.jpg

2285b5.jpg

2285b6.jpg

2285b7.jpg

2285b8.jpg

NICE!

excellent grab there. Great when you can get it for a good price and it needs little attention.

Question about setting offset: is it really R726 that adjusts both channels' offset, as stated in the service manual?? It seems odd that R726 would adjust both channels when R727 is nearby. Do you know what the other three variable resistors are on the P700 board?

Congratulations on your purchase as well as the success you've had in getting it up and running. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing them as well as your story.

Sweet score, congrats!!! :thmbsp: Quick question, my eyes are pretty bad, & I can't read the lettering on the output transistors. Are those Toshiba? or Hitachi? I know my little 1060 has Hitachis, but don't know yet if Marantz used different ones for different models. Thanx. :smoke:

spaceman said:
Sweet score, congrats!!! :thmbsp: Quick question, my eyes are pretty bad, & I can't read the lettering on the output transistors. Are those Toshiba? or Hitachi? I know my little 1060 has Hitachis, but don't know yet if Marantz used different ones for different models. Thanx. :smoke:

Thanks, she sure sounds sweet. I am unsure about the output transistors. When I crack the case to replace the lights, I'll check and follow up, unless someone more knowledgeable chimes in first.

Regards,

Ken

Urizen said:
Thanks, she sure sounds sweet. I am unsure about the output transistors. When I crack the case to replace the lights, I'll check and follow up, unless someone more knowledgeable chimes in first.

Regards,

Ken

For setting the offset, did you only have to use the one variable resistor?

jasong said:
For setting the offset, did you only have to use the one variable resistor?

2285b3.jpg

I don't have a schematic or manual. Looking at the picture above, and for all I know I may have done it wrong, but it sure worked on my multimeter, I adjusted the two outside pots. Both had DC written on them, so I figured they were the ones, and it worked.:dunno:

Cool! Good to know.

BTW I posted the schematic and board layout in another thread.

The manual is kind of confusing as to how to set the offset for both channels. It says to use R726 for both...which doesn't make sense. Looking at the schematic and layout, I think you did get the right ones. :)

Thanks for all of the compliments, fellas. This receiver grabs onto the woofers of the A-25s better than anything I have tried with them, including a Kenwood KA-9150. I don't have any of the "monsters" out there, but this one sounds better than any receiver I have purchased, yet.:D Ordering lamps from dgwojo, of course!

Great score!! I have had my eyes out for a 2285b for a little while now. Congratulations, and if this is your first Marantz, welcome to the club!:yes:

marantzfan said:
Great score!! I have had my eyes out for a 2285b for a little while now. Congratulations, and if this is your first Marantz, welcome to the club!:yes:

Thanks. It's my second. My other is the little 2215B.:thmbsp:

2215b1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom