Marantz 2285B - New Output Cap Assy

deltalight

AK Subscriber
Marantz 2285B - New Output Cap Assy

I recently restored the popular Marantz 2285B and decided to design a new modular output cap assy. Two current methods are the “Gut and Stuff” method and what I will call the “Capacitor Platform” method. “Gut-and-Stuff” uses the following steps:

1) Remove old cap from unit
2) Remove the bottom of can
3) Gut the old cap assy out and clean the inside can
4) Solder cap leads to old terminal plate.
5) Stuff new caps into the existing can.
6) Re-attach/re-seal endcap onto can
7) Re-mount the rebuilt cap back into unit.

Steps for the Capacitor Platform method:

1) Fabricate a platform i.e. resin-filled cup, capacitor clamp, etc. that holds snap-in caps
2) Clamp or insert snap-in caps into the new clamp or molded platform
3) Interface the new assy into the Power Supply section of the unit

Both “Gut-and-Stuff” and the Capacitor Platform methods have been discussed here:

2285B recap & binder post conversion
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/2285b-recap-binder-post-conversion.420274/

Scary repair - 2285B dual-section caps failed
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...repair-2285b-dual-section-caps-failed.281050/

The current methods work fine, but I wanted a different output cap solution for the 2285B. When I couldn’t find the solution I was looking for, I designed one using what I call the "Modular" method which incorporates a PC board. Using lessons learned from previously designed Output Cap assys, I wanted the following design features:

1) Keep assembled module within the chassis constraints of the original two 6800uF 63v Dual caps
2) Use 30mm snap-in caps which allows for a larger selection of values
3) Incorporate screw terminals in the same location as the original solder lugs for ease of service
4) Bypass the 6800uF 63v electrolytic caps with 4.7uF PP film parts for enhanced frequency response
5) Use star-ground techniques for solid electro-mechanical mounting eliminating the original ground strap

There are six threaded standoffs on the outer edge of the assy. Six holes are drilled into the chassis for the 6-32 screws that secure the assy to the chassis. Each nickel-plated standoff is electrically connected to the center ground terminal. This provides excellent electrical grounding and replaces the original ground strap. The new assy is mounted very solid.

The new modular assy sits 1/8-in off the top chassis where the obsolete Dual Caps were mounted to accommodate electrical isolation on the PC board traces. To prevent any possible electrical shorting, a piece of fish paper was cut, punched and secured with adhesive on the assy bottom to accommodate the six standoffs and five output terminals [see photo]

As shown in the photo, the edges of the assy fit right up to the vertical edges of the chassis which still left room for output speaker wires next to the transformer on one side and space for ventilation on the other side. The four 4.7uF polypropylene bypass caps fit perfectly on the PC board.

The new assy has permanently-mounted nickel-plated terminals which are threaded for 10-32x3/8 Philips screws. PC board to chassis clearance came out perfect. Fits perfect. Success!

Summary
The new Marantz 2285B retrofit Output Cap assy fits and performs great. The only issues are 1) the new modular assy does not retain the identical look of the original Dual Caps 2) more parts are used making the assy cost higher. The “Gut-and-Stuff” method requires about the same amount of assy time, but uses fewer components, has lower cost and retains the original internal look. The Capacitor Platform method probably costs less even using capacitor clamps.

Comments?

Last edited:
Very nice work! They are the filter caps for the power supply feeding the power amps though, not the output caps. That term usually means audio coupling caps between the amp output and the speaker terminals.

Yes, technically you're right, but I got used to calling the main filter caps for the output voltage supply rails, "Output Caps" because everybody calls them that. The English call them "Smoothing" caps.

Last edited:
Very creative. Never would have thought to cut the old caps and put new ones inside. Was interesting looking at what was inside of the old caps. Very neat and original looking design. Looks a bit frightening though on the other post with all the wires ect. I really despise de soldering those huge caps from the boards. and sometimes Pioneer LOVES to use that brown glue to hold them down. always frightening trying to remove them without tearing traces or breaking the board. Pioneer and other manufacturers should have used clamps for anything over 7,000uf in my opinion (and PLEASE no excessive brown glue because it tarnishes components around it and is a bear to remove. I also heard it can become conductive as it ages although I don't know that to be a fact.
Jim

Nice looking work. I'm sure the platform method gives you more options for different caps than the tight quarters of the original dual section caps.

I'm impressed! There are many work arounds for these caps and I've now seen 2 versions that I like better than the one I copied from Catrafter and this is one of them for sure. Nice work! I'll keep this one in mind. I would like to know more about how you created your 'star-ground' system.
Jerry

I'm impressed! There are many work arounds for these caps and I've now seen 2 versions that I like better than the one I copied from Catrafter and this is one of them for sure. Nice work! I'll keep this one in mind. I would like to know more about how you created your 'star-ground' system.
Jerry

All six outside standoffs and the grounds from each pair of caps are all star-grounded to the center threaded standoff. Seems to make everything quieter.

Back
Top Bottom