Marantz 2285B

VintageNut said:
Some comparisons of receivers are done with units out of spec. When you compare 30 year old electronics they need to be performing up to spec. I bet some of these items have high DC going to the speakers or other problems. It's like trying to compare old sport cars without looking to see the condition of the drivetrain.

Indeed, and infact a potential problem not included in my comments about the SX-880.

-sf

Bad surprize...

the two fuses that sit in the front by the dial light panel are L-R, 2 and 1A. I found 5A x 2 and the 2 just blew the first 5A fuse :( I have a 2 I think but I still have no lights. Someone please PM me with some advice on this? Thanks...

Steven

Last edited:
2885b

I have 2 2885b's one working 100% I am a sansui guy myself but it sure sound's great and is tuff I had a Bose 901 speakers fell off my shelf

landed on top or unit sideways luckly on the left side not tuner section
and didnt affect the unit other than the metal cover i shed a few tears but thought I was pretty lucky

Hahnster :banana:

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure why all the the bigger receivers get all the attention and high bids on eBay. I had a 2238B that sounded so sweet compared to my other big watt receivers. But I sold the 2238B to get a 2265B because it had a higher dampening factor and I think its the most proportionally beautiful Marantz ever made. Mine has a near mint wood cabinet, box and all the papers. And I paid as much as a mint 2330B with a case. I'm an artist I can't help it. But it was well worth it. I haven't heard any bigger Marantz. I don't feel I have the need too, the smaller Marantz are just wonderful. Everyone should try a 2238B before they die.

onepixel said:
I'm not exactly sure why all the the bigger receivers get all the attention and high bids on eBay. I had a 2238B that sounded so sweet compared to my other big watt receivers. But I sold the 2238B to get a 2265B because it had a higher dampening factor and I think its the most proportionally beautiful Marantz ever made. Mine has a near mint wood cabinet, box and all the papers. And I paid as much as a mint 2330B with a case. I'm an artist I can't help it. But it was well worth it. I haven't heard any bigger Marantz. I don't feel I have the need too, the smaller Marantz are just wonderful. Everyone should try a 2238B before they die.

onepixel -- I must agree. Some of the small units actually sound better than their bigger brothers at normal listen levels. I heard that it has something to do with the larger capacitors in the larger units.

The Marantz 2220B is also a wonderful sounding Receiver. I was telling SamInSoCal this afternoon that you could put it behind a curtain with a Pioneer SX-1980 and Marantz 2600, play all three at moderate levels for a group of people and then ask them which one sounded best to them. The 2220B would garner a fair share of the voted and when the curtain was lifted to reveal the contestants, jaws would drop. :thmbsp:

Marantz 2285b and Smaller Advents

I agree with your observation. I have a 2285b paired with Small Advents( 4 ohm) and it sounds wonderful. Other componets are Dual 1229 w Dual V15III,Teac x2000r. From your post, I am tempted to look at one of those Piooneers as a back up. Thanks

guilty as charged

I am one of those guys that paid big bucks for the 2285B.I paid 450.00 CDN . for mine.Why??? Because #1,I had been saving up for my first Marantz and along comes this receiver in excellent condition.So I say to myself why not.So I bought it.Any regrets?.Absolutely none.I love the look, I love the tone,and I am really glad I own this sucker.I have bought 2 more Marantz receivers since, because of the 2285B.A 2235B and a 2220.Both mint.I love them too.
Cheers :thmbsp:
Brian

vintagestereo said:
onepixel -- I must agree. Some of the small units actually sound better than their bigger brothers at normal listen levels. I heard that it has something to do with the larger capacitors in the larger units.

The Marantz 2220B is also a wonderful sounding Receiver. I was telling SamInSoCal this afternoon that you could put it behind a curtain with a Pioneer SX-1980 and Marantz 2600, play all three at moderate levels for a group of people and then ask them which one sounded best to them. The 2220B would garner a fair share of the voted and when the curtain was lifted to reveal the contestants, jaws would drop. :thmbsp:
That's an excellent observation. To do it scientifically, it would have to be a true blind test with volume matched with a sound meter and all tone controls defeated. And, we would have to agree on some reference speakers.

In my "can you ID and amp" thread, I was surprised how many posters said maybe they couldn't ID by sound alone. Hmmm. Are amps almost indistiguishable? When I encounter a fierce territorial response for certain brands and models, I've got to wonder if something other than sound is involved. Kind of the "my monster is bigger than yours" reflex. If the quest for audio really is the quest for the best sound, it doesn't matter what the looks or watt rating is. It matters most if you are satisfied.

This is not an indictment of monster collectors and I will be the first to say, I am one. Most of my monsters are keepers. I'll have to try a 2285B one of these days...

Having three 4300's, I find most of my time is listening to my sweet little 2010....It's pushing two Imperial 6's in my sunroom. I'm actually looking to find a 2275 to replace it, just need a few more watts....

And for all you Pioneer guys out there, I REALLY love the sound coming out of my Sx-950....

Love to all.... :banana: :banana: :banana:

If I buy a Marantz, it will likely be a 2285B and 2330B. Im not going to spend 4K on those bad ass 2500 or 2600 and then take the chance of them blowing a tranny. 2/3 of the ones that come on eBay have blown trannys.:no: :thumbsdn:

theblackknight said:
If I buy a Marantz, it will likely be a 2285B and 2330B. Im not going to spend 4K on those bad ass 2500 or 2600 and then take the chance of them blowing a tranny. 2/3 of the ones that come on eBay have blown trannys.:no: :thumbsdn:
2385B is awesome as well. It has the toroidal tranny, but doesn't tax it like the 2500/2600, so it is reliable.

I'm still kicking myself for not attending AKFest '06. I'm hoping for AKFest '07 someone will have a 2285B set up so I can finally hear what everyone is talking about. I have a few of the black face receivers, my favorite being the 4270. I admit I like the styling of the silver face models.

My 2285B sounds fantastic. Always been happy with the sound. Big fat bass and clean high end. EQ adds good character to bass, mids, or trebles. The limitations in my rig become the turntable setup and the speakers (30-20k frequency response).

Now I'm considering a preamp. I'm open to suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom