Marantz 2325 & DQ-18s

TH84

So...just recently bought my first vintage setup and after a few weeks of listening to all my favorite jazz/blues albums, I got the bug bad.

So, local seller is offering a Marantz 2325 with Dahlquist DQ-18s.

His notes: 'receiver works perfectly. No Modification. Was in repair shop 20 years ago for a broken string used to turn tuning Dial. All push buttons and volume controls still work perfectly...and have never been cleaned or repaired. The vineer, wooden cabinet, is in excellant condition with some very minor edge dings. It has not been used since the string repair. It sat on a cupboard shelf for 20 years in my smoke free home.'

Seems like a lot of question marks if its been sitting for 20 years (would obviously go give it a listen before buying...but my noob ears dont necessarily know what to listen for...)

He is asking $800 for the 2325, $400 for the DQ-18s. I was thinking more like $500 for the 2325 and $200-300 for the DQ-18s...any guidance or thoughts?

My Marantz 2230 has been my daily driver for about eight years now, after finding it filthy on the side of the road on trash day. All I did was clean it, zero electrical work. Did you ever see the fire ad? Marantz stuff is nearly bulletproof. Certainly no harm in going for a demo.

BTW, love the Avatar. Are you a Pittsburgh resident?

Edit: you are local. I see the ad.

Hmm...guess my avatar isn't the best idea since others will know where to find it now haha.

Yeah, I messaged him, said while I'm sure he can get 8&4, if the market is somehow cold, I'd be a buyer at around 5. He messaged me back and said to give him a call, so its not a hard no.

Nice on the roadside find, I swear AK is basically 99 guys who find gems in the garbage, thrifts, and yard sales and then the 1 schmuck like me who actually buys this stuff.

Anything below $800 for a 2325 and wood case in excellent condition is a good buy.

They are not making any more 2325's. If it looks good and sounds good and your gut tells you it's good buy it.

If you let it slip by trying to get a really good deal you will miss it. Go look at in person with cash and see what you can do, bet you can get it lower. Always easier to haggle in person.

Hopefully it is as he describes it.

Good point @Fairlane - I'm going to go give it a listen once he calls back. My only real struggle here is not the cost or if I want it, its how to get it down so my wife won't stab me for bringing home another expensive toy (I've made a few purchases recently...).

Pretty sure I can legitimately hide a $500 purchase inside my work expenses for the month since I have some travel coming up, $800 is going to be stretching the limits.

$800 with a wood case is a good deal already, if it works. It'll need Deoxit and lights most likely.

Nice on the roadside find, I swear AK is basically 99 guys who find gems in the garbage, thrifts, and yard sales and then the 1 schmuck like me who actually buys this stuff.
It seems that way sometimes, but it's only because all of the scores are listed over the whole country. It's the same effect as it seeming like everybody wins the lottery.

This probably isn't the time to mention that the Marantz isn't even my best score. I've had a bunch of them.

$800 with a wood case is a good deal already, if it works. It'll need Deoxit and lights most likely.
Well, yeah, when I said mine was fully functional I wasn't counting the five bulbs that are out. I'll get around to it someday.

Hopefully it is as he describes it.

He describes it as "not used in 20 years" and also offers a demo. I would try to keep that thing running for an hour or better before I handed over the cash. Or even better, shut it down then "forget something" you wanted to hear and power it back up. Stress the caps a bit before purchase.

Pretty sure I can legitimately hide a $500 purchase inside my work expenses for the month since I have some travel coming up, $800 is going to be stretching the limits.

A Marantz in exchange for lunch of Sheetz two for a buck hot dogs for a month sounds like a deal to me.

@TH84 are you hooked on collecting the gear or can you reel in the 2325 and ship out some minnow of a receiver to recoup some funding? If you have two that can go out and only one comes in...well most wives don't know what each item is worth. And finally, maybe she will like the looks of the Marantz more than some of the other gear you have piled up around the house.

One of the keys to all of the good stories you read here is that we usually wait until the transaction is over to tell them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom