Marantz 2325 experts please

Can you explain how you change the gain settings please?

I’m running a separate phono preamp that has multiple gain settings from 40, 50 & 60dB. I run the outputs from the phono pre into the Aux inputs on the 2325. It’s a big soundstage compared to the stock phono pre on the 2325.

I compared both since the marantz phono pre is 40dB as well, but it doesn’t have the low frequency response the Pro-Ject Tube Box DS has. And to my ears, it’s night and day which one sounds better.

I’m running a separate phono preamp that has multiple gain settings from 40, 50 & 60dB. I run the outputs from the phono pre into the Aux inputs on the 2325. It’s a big soundstage compared to the stock phono pre on the 2325.

I compared both since the marantz phono pre is 40dB as well, but it doesn’t have the low frequency response the Pro-Ject Tube Box DS has. And to my ears, it’s night and day which one sounds better.

I see, unfortunately I have no room for another piece of equipment but I'm pretty satisfied with my phono response. Don't know how it will sound after I do the op-amps. Did you do any work on the P400 board?

No, P400 had already been done previously, but I’d like to do it in the future.

I did find another small issue though....

The pots for the Dolby preamp are hard to get to and they need to get cleaned because the Left CH has a tiny bit of static. Grrrrr. Looks like I’m going to have to disassemble the whole front panel in able to get to them. Is there a better way?

No, P400 had already been done previously, but I’d like to do it in the future.

I did find another small issue though....

The pots for the Dolby preamp are hard to get to and they need to get cleaned because the Left CH has a tiny bit of static. Grrrrr. Looks like I’m going to have to disassemble the whole front panel in able to get to them. Is there a better way?

Although I did remove the front panel for other reasons I think you can reach those pots under the meter housing with the red tube on the Deoxit can. Stand the receiver on it's right side and approach from the bottom. I don't remember having any problem with that. Here's a photo of the P400 as I did it.
_DSC0314.JPG

I’ve got the same Panasonic films at the same locations as you do, but am running Silmic II’s at the other locations near the top of the board. It sounds good as-is..the caps are only about 6 years old. But now that I’m running a separate phono pre, I doubt I’ll ever go back to using P400 phono pre exclusively. Those 12ax7 output tubes make a difference, with probably a very slight uptick in noise, but with an added depth to the soundstage overall.

On the other hand, I like to use the Dolby pre occasionally as well, but sometimes it can hinder rather than help the music. It’s as if a mute switch has been applied...kind of like the same effect when someone puts you on their speaker phone. Of course it depends on how the recording was done, but it can make the music shine also and bring out the more laidback nuanced stuff in the background to the front. It’s always a toss up sound-wise when using it.

I’m probably going to hold off on doing the Dolby stuff for now because I just finished the receiver this week, and it was a lot of work doing just the sections I did. For the guys that do this full time, you have my respect because there’s a lot of detailed work involved.

Back
Top Bottom