Marantz 2325 FM fix or improvement

blhagstrom

Mad Scientist, fixer.
I recently came into a couple beautiful 2325.

There were issues but one in particular exposed a possible trick.

One had a dead FM. Using the front end of the other and jumping the signal, it showed that the issue was in the front end.

I pulled the front end and checked the 2SC535 and it was whacked.
I "borrowed" a 2SC535 from a Pioneer tuner board I have stashed and it fixed the FM toot sweet!

Then, the 2325 that had a working FM originally, was pretty weak for pulling in FM. The MPX had a tough time locking on the signal and decoding (STEREO lights up, you hear stereo). SO, on a whim, after getting a supply of 2SC535, I changed it in the working 2325.

She works a LOT better. No problem pulling in stations and locking on and decoding stereo.

SO, I'm sharing this "finding". I do warn you that getting that front end out and back in is delicate and tricky work. The wires must be removed from the pins. The gear system comes apart and you need to deal with that spring system thing (what IS that all about???)

The gear system comes apart and you need to deal with that spring system thing (what IS that all about???)
The two gears with the spring to keep them at odds with each other eliminates backlash in the tuning system, ie, a 'slop' removal device.

Tom

One had a dead FM. Using the front end of the other and jumping the signal, it showed that the issue was in the front end.

I "borrowed" a 2SC535 from a Pioneer tuner board I have stashed and it fixed the FM toot sweet!

Then, the 2325 that had a working FM originally, was pretty weak for pulling in FM. The MPX had a tough time locking on the signal and decoding (STEREO lights up, you hear stereo). SO, on a whim, after getting a supply of 2SC535, I changed it in the working 2325.

She works a LOT better. No problem pulling in stations and locking on and decoding stereo.

SO, I'm sharing this "finding". I do warn you that getting that front end out and back in is delicate and tricky work. The wires must be removed from the pins. The gear system comes apart and you need to deal with that spring system thing (what IS that all about???)

Last edited:
Nice find! I have a couple receivers that never seemed to get great signal strength despite alignment and cap cleaning. Maybe this is why?

Back
Top Bottom