Marantz 2325 Transformer problem

Leokarma

I recently got a Marantz 2325 from an estate sale with overall good cosmetic condition but dead. I checked the unit and it seem to be the transformer. What are my option ?

I know it goes without saying you did check the main fuse and the fuse on the power supply. Do you get voltage to and from the power switch etc.

Removed the fuse and tested with a meter, not just eyeballed?

Is it dead as in no power and lights, or lights but no relay click or sound? It is possible the lights are all out. Stranger things have happened.

Be as specific as possible so the real experts can chime in. Pictures are always a good thing too.

The 2325 transformers that were produced for Canada have an internal thermal fuse. Another AK'er recently repaired one and sent me some pictures. Here is his description: "A short bit of thin wire placed between the internal coil wire and one of the wires that exit the transformer case to the AC input". I've attached two pictures, one includes circles and arrows, many thanks to the AK'r who sent this.

DSCN5024.JPG

Also discussed in this thread:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/whats-this-inductor-fuse-inside-a-transformer.692377/

Not meaning to leap way ahead on troubleshooting the OP's 2325.

Attachments

• 2325 c transformer fuse.jpg
    2325 c transformer fuse.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
^^^ This is good info, good post! I believe the Canada models have a "C" after the model on the ID tag on the back or in the serial number but I'm not 100% on that. Member 'bktheking' might know that. Where art thou brother Brad? :)

I know it goes without saying you did check the main fuse and the fuse on the power supply. Do you get voltage to and from the power switch etc.

Removed the fuse and tested with a meter, not just eyeballed?

Is it dead as in no power and lights, or lights but no relay click or sound? It is possible the lights are all out. Stranger things have happened.

Be as specific as possible so the real experts can chime in. Pictures are always a good thing too.

Yes fuse and Switch is OK (I even bypassed switch and checked). I checked the voltage on red and Blue wire i.e. input to the transformer and that shows 120 VAC. But no output on 2 orange wire to the bridge and 2 yellow wires to the Power supply board.

Yes everything dead......no light, no click, no sound

The 2325 transformers that were produced for Canada have an internal thermal fuse. Another AK'er recently repaired one and sent me some pictures. Here is his description: "A short bit of thin wire placed between the internal coil wire and one of the wires that exit the transformer case to the AC input". I've attached two pictures, one includes circles and arrows, many thanks to the AK'r who sent this.

View attachment 746316

Also discussed in this thread:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/whats-this-inductor-fuse-inside-a-transformer.692377/

Not meaning to leap way ahead on troubleshooting the OP's 2325.

Very interesting. Let me do some more research on this. So how do I check whether my 2325 was produced for Canada ?

^^^ This is good info, good post! I believe the Canada models have a "C" after the model on the ID tag on the back or in the serial number but I'm not 100% on that. Member 'bktheking' might know that. Where art thou brother Brad? :)

Let me check the serial number.....

Yeah, where is Brad. Haven't heard from him in a while.

He did help me on a transformer thermal fuse once by supplying a pointer to a replacement fuse.
That transformer wasa in a tuner that looked like it took a lightning hit.

He's around. Scope problems will arouse his interest!! Just saw his posts a week or so ago.

Can someone help ? Is it transformer primary winding or just the fuse inside ? Do you thinking that the transformer can be repaired as suggested above ?

You should be getting 1.2 - 1.6 ohms across your 120v plug. if not, then its a matter of the process of elimination. This should be the same as checking the Red/Blue wires going into the T.

I'm not sure all models with the fusible link are marked as for the Canadian market. The 2325 I posted pictures of had no special markings. I thought some models have a "c" on the back plate, just as the Euro models have an "e"?

I'm around just busy between work and repairs- the model I found a blown fuse in was from the US believe it or not, it was a 2235 or something like that - came out of Texas, so it's not just Canadian units that had thermal fuses. They are a pain to replace but totally doable. The pic posted doesn't really show where it is- it's sandwiched between the windings in yellow tape. You will see where the windings are a part if it's sitting in the transformer. If you can get it out without destroying everything , that's called "patience", you can replace it with the same value and you're on your way. Google pictures of thermal fuses, that's what it looks like. The value will be written on it. I believe the photo posted was a repair of a broken winding wire rather than thermal fuse.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom