Marantz 2330B coming soon

One911Guy

Hello friends. Since I missed the 2270 a week or so ago by about 10 minutes, I have kept my search up for another unit. I found a local seller that has put out a "feeler" ad for a "a Marantz 2330B/ that will be available in a week or so. Claiming excellent cosmetic and reciently serviced. All fine and good but the kicker is he is looking for $1500 for the unit. No other details are known.

I have an email into him asking what the skinny is with the unit, ie: original box, owners manual, wooden case, etc..... and if that asking price is accurate.

I mean if all of that was there and as advertised in excellent condition - $1,500.00 for a 2330b. Really?
I have seen a few unit on the Flea in that range but nothing being bid on.

What say you?
Thanks again.

Mint condition with wood case, box, and manuals. Otherwise, be patient and look for the non-B version. True, it is not as nice looking but the internal layout is much, much better. Having heard both, the non-B is better sounding IMHO.

I have a 2330B and it sounds and looks amazing. I think it looks better than the non-B. I like it's more modern clarity and punch compared to some older designs.

The prices for non-B is not cheap either. One on CL recently was listed for $800 and it was not tested...

I agree with @absolve2525 - the 2330b looks better than the non-B. As to the sound, I have never heard either - I would be replacing/upgrading my Kenwood KR-6600 with this 2330b.
Confirmed - No box or case - Still awaiting the chance to see this unit. If I didn't know the seller, I would think it may be a scam. Any other thoughts????

I agree with @absolve2525 - the 2330b looks better than the non-B. As to the sound, I have never heard either - I would be replacing/upgrading my Kenwood KR-6600 with this 2330b.
Confirmed - No box or case - Still awaiting the chance to see this unit. If I didn't know the seller, I would think it may be a scam. Any other thoughts????

One sold on eBay for $1300 including shipping, so I would think for a local sale, $1000-1200 would be fair. I would have two questions:

1) what was included in the "recent service"? If replacing lamps, cleaning pots and switches, and setting DC offset/bias/idle current , etc., that would not be a major service, but at least you wouldn't need to worry about them, but more would be better. Something like out of tolerance components replaced. Recapping of the power supply is even better.

2) The 2330B and the 2285B, and the big boys used dual caps for the large filter caps. Since they don't make them in those form factors, once a large filter cap goes, the tech will need to fabricate some brackets and creativity to install 4 caps in the place of two. You can search the web, and some look downright ugly. The ultimate is to empty out the old cans and stuff with new caps. But that's custom work that few people are willing to take on.

And do you have a tech nearby that knows how to work on Marantz gear? Good to ask around first before you plunge $1500 into a receiver....

I have both the 2330 and 2330B and have fully restored both for akrs and outside clients.
They are both nice units and produce gobs of power.
It all depends which look and sound you’re after.
As far as the dual main filter caps , I’m a firm believer in maintaining the original Marantz appearance inside and out so consequently I always take the time and effort to “restuff “ them with modern caps.

Bob

Well an update - Seller claims a few more days (a few days ago) till I can even get a look at this - States he is replacing "4 large electrolytic filter caps" and "whatever else he finds along the way" Pretty vague, and I'm loosing steam on this one - time to walk away?

Well an update - Seller claims a few more days (a few days ago) till I can even get a look at this - States he is replacing "4 large electrolytic filter caps" and "whatever else he finds along the way" Pretty vague, and I'm loosing steam on this one - time to walk away?

Time to cool your heels. Condition is not tip top so his price should reflect that.

Yea, I suppose you are right @SoCal Sam - I keep searching. Hope I find one before I'm too old to hear!

The only Marantz receiver I regretted selling was the 2285 non-B. I've heard a 2330 non-B. I've owned just about all of them including the 2330B, 2500, and 2600. I know the looks will always be an issue with the non-B's but they really are the best sounding of the lot.

Back
Top Bottom