Marantz 2385 "knock down" cabinet

Hmm, interesting. I suppose this style cabinet looks alright when it's installed but I would think that screens over the top holes would be a great improvement. Appearancewise, I get the impression that a three sided cab would make a receiver look like it's wearing earmuffs. ;)

I'm still looking for one of the funky 'low profile' 2230 cabs like the one I had.......:eek:

Nice work finding this one, it's a treat to see something new! :cool:

Speaking of Marantz cabinets, check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1941620426

Hmmm.... Wonder who that buyer was.... :p:

I didn't comprehend the quality of the cabinet until I saw the companion auction for the receiver that it once held:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1941618317

And, quite an auction that was!!! I was incredulous about the bids the thing was attracting, but it wasn't until it was over that I realized... THE BIDDERS DIDN'T BEAT THE RESERVE!!

"No, you can't get $500 for a 50-watt Marantz receiver, even if it's the best one on the planet."

At any rate, I'll take the cabinet, thank you!!! I do indeed have one for my 2285, but it was rode hard and put away wet before the seller I bought it from did some admirable work to make it presentable. Still, it's far from perfect, and maybe only "half-decent." I've been looking for a much better one..... :p:

That seller is a tad optimistic. Who's gonna fork over more than $500 for a 50 watt Marantz? You can buy a much more powerful model from Grumpy or Shain for less than that. The guy takes great photos but that still doesn't justify a $500 price tag. Hell, a few hours at Wards house anything will look just like that receiver.

Mike

Folks,

OK, I've got the cabinet!! I picked it up in person, and had a chat with the sellers. Their reserve on the receiver was $495. They said they offered it to the top three bidders at their bid amount, but all three declined -- they had already bought something else. So, they are relisting it with a lower price.

Again, at any rate, I'll take the cabinet that was on that thing!!! Here it is, after a little thoots oil and photo magic:

marantz_wc22_01.jpg

Thoots, the cab is beautiful. The pics are great, as usual. How about a pic of it installed on the 2285?

P.S. Whatcha gonna do with the old cabinet, old buddy, ol' pal?:D

Jay,

Well, hopefully I'll drag the 2285 out of the main system with what's left of the weekend -- that's NOT an easy thing! Nor is wrangling one of those things in and out of those cabinets! But, as soon as I get it done, rest assured we'll have some new pictures!

I'd like to get a few bucks out of the old cabinet. It's definitely not the best one out there, but the guy who sold it to me obviously put a lot of work into it to make it at least presentable. The main thing about it is that it has a "varnish" finish to it -- call it "plastic" if you will. And I'm an old "wood" kind of guy, so I like to get my hands all oily, rather than just wiping the thing down with a dustcloth. :p:

At any rate, sounds like you're interested, and I'm definitely not expecting megabucks. Contact me offline (thoots@attbi.com) if you'd like to work out a deal!

And, hopefully I'll have more pictures, soon!

Back
Top Bottom