1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Marantz 2440

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by Dearslayer, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Dearslayer

Dearslayer AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a Marantz 2440 that I acquired some time ago and just recently decided to finally hook it up to my 2245 just to see how it worked. The volume controls are a bit scratchy but I do get sound from the 2 rear speakers ( it does drop out and is intermittent depending on the mode ) that are hooked to the main speaker terminals. All the lamps for the VU meters were burnt out so I replace them with new LED’s and they now work. I set the Voltage on the power supply as per the SM at 35 V and the power amp R729/730 adjusted to 20mV as per SM. The only other issue now are the 2 VU meters on the left side ( Front Left/Right speakers ) . The needles are not moving at all. The 2 meters on the right ( for the rear speakers connected to the 2440 ) move with volume adjustment . I have things hooked up as per the SM but how does the 2440 get the signal to the front speakers considering the fronts are connected to the speaker terminals on the 2245 ? Hope that isn't a dump question. I’ve manipulated all the controls on the 2440 to see if the VU meters would move at all but no luck. Am I missing the obvious?

Attached Files:

2. Dearslayer

Revisiting this 2440 again in hopes that someone can make a suggestion on the issue of the two front input meters ( the 2 on the left ) not moving when its powers up. The two rear meter needles ( two on the right ) swing up and settle back to zero at power up, with no input signal at all, but the two front doesn’t move at all at start up . Are the two front needles even supposed to move. ( I know that sounds like a stupid question ). I started to recap this unit just to past time while waiting on other projects and I only have the 400 PCB left to do.

3. rBuckner

rBuckner Luv 2 Restore Subscriber

I'm just going to be finishing up rebuilding one of these! I never hooked up anything other than rear channel and did so to make sure the built in amp was working. I recall those meters dancing. I'll reply back with what I find.

4. Dearslayer

That would be awesome. Thanks so much.

rBuckner likes this.
  5. rBuckner

Okay, signal applied to tape in/aux jacks. Press tape/aux button. All 4 meters work when in Mono or 2 channel mode. Make sure all balance controls are centered at least for the test. Hope yours are okay!

KutzlerTrans likes this.
  6. Dearslayer

Hmmmm interesting. I'm at work right now but will give it a try when I get home tonight and report back. Thanks.

7. Dearslayer

Well I finished the recap on this unit so hooked it back up same as before as per the SM last night after work.I honestly don’t remember if I had the TAPE/AUX button pushed in the last time or not so as per your instruction I made sure it was in this time and all meters now seem to work , however no matter how I adjust the controls I can’t seem to get them all to deflect equally. Not sure if this would be normal but reading the SM it does state there is an adjustment for the meters so maybe this needs to be done next. Thanks Randy.

8. rBuckner

I had to do the meter adjustment. It's a piece of cake as long as you can output a 100mV signal at 1kHz.

9. Dearslayer

Well I have an old oscilloscope and also a signal generator so I guess it's time I try to learn how to use them , and hope I don't blow things up.

10. Dingman

Dingman Do you know where your towel is?

Nah, you'll be OK.
    I have one of these also, and did use it for awhile. It's been a few years, so I guess I should exercise it soon. I remember it being a bit tricky to hook up so that it controlled both front and rear, all with the one volume knob - hard to balance I did get it and it worked as expected.
    Marantz 2270+2440 edited 01.jpg

11. Dearslayer

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dingman trust me I need all I can get. I did connect my signal generator to the 2440 last night and took a chance I was doing things correctly by injecting a 1 kHz signal ( how do I know it's 100 mV ??? ). as per the SM it says to turn the volume FCW which I did and watched all 4 needles slowly deflect to Max, and I adjusted R601/602/624/625 so that the needles hovered as close to "0" as I could get on each meter, however the Front Left meter was extremely touchy and was very difficult to even get close to "0" . just touching R601 made it deflect one way or the other to the point that I thought it would never get close. I assume it's because that where the signal was being injected?? So not sure I did things correctly or not because now the volume has to be pretty loud before there is movement in the meters and the ones for the front channel seem for move much less ( barley at all ) than the rear channels. The 2440 paired with the 2270 looks awesome.

Dingman likes this.
  12. rBuckner

Dingman: That's a beautiful pairing!

Dearslayer: I bet you did get it off a bit. The meters for the front on my setup weren't swinging all that far though at a fairly decent volume level. None of mine were hard to adjust. Is there a gain adjustment on the signal gen? If so, turn it down a bit and try adjusting to "0" again. You could hook up a meter in AC voltage mode and adjust the SG to get a 100mV level actually.

13. Dearslayer

The left front meter ( R601 ) was the touchy one. The other 3 adjusted easily. Sorry I don't know why I keep calling it a signal generator when both are Function generators and at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot I'm not sure of the difference or if I should even be using a " function generator " for a signal. I don't see any adjustment for mV on either of these units. I really wish I knew more about the technical side of this stuff.

Attached Files:

14. Dingman

Dingman Do you know where your towel is?

Thanks man, I only cleaned them up, deox and new bulbs. So they do match up fairly nicely.

Dearslayer, how's it going up there? Did ya get it figured out? I also remember that I didn't get much meter deflection unless I turned it up. But I also didn't adjust meters, and small room with Klipsch. I'm used to meters not moving. :)

15. Dearslayer

Well I went back again and repeated the same steps and all is the same wrong. as before. All meters deflect but only at higher volume. Like I said I my earlier post I have no idea if it's a 100mV signal or not that's coming from my "function Generator ". Pretty sure it's the suggested 1khz. As per the SM it says to connect it to the L Front RCA jack at the rear panel, that just happens to be the touchy one to adjust. guess I will accept well enough for now unless someone tells me I'm doing it all wrong and can explain how to do it proper. Damn electronics always throws me for a loop. I'll have to have another go at it after work one day this week over some good old Canadian wobbly pops. Until then I trying to get enough loose wire to exchange a selector switch on a 2230. Now that's gonna be a tricky little adventure. See the thread " broken selector switch shaft fix " started by Bob.