Marantz 250 or 250M ? witch one to buy?

turboyam

The Kenwood fan!
Hey Marantzfans :), i might be very tempted to add a new color to my collection, and i'd like
your opinions on the reliability, and buy/ sell value?. I have lots of Kenwood's , a SAE 2600 power amp,
but the 250, 250M and 510M are tempting!.
Thanks guys!

I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole unless it had been gone through by one of the people here who specialize in that brand. The original design was prone to trouble unless various mods are made, not just the usual recap and tune up.

and i'd like
your opinions on the reliability,

What Conrad and Chris said.

My experience...

A while back, I bought a 250 with a satisfaction guarantee and it had been gone thru by "their" tech. The left channel failed within 15 minutes. It went back to them and they covered the shipping but said if I wanted it back again (after the repair) that I would not have the option of returning it. It didn't come back.

A year later I came across a museum (cosmetically) 250M with a guarantee of it operating proper. One channel failed in 45 minutes. Seller had his tech fix it at no charge as per guarantee (loving the guarantees). It came back and and the same channel went out again. He offered to have it fixed again (all free) but I had NO confidence in his tech and I do not like wasting my time. Luckily I had someone "very" good on vintage equipment, but retired now, offer to take a look at it. He fixed it and it has worked perfectly ever since (almost 2 yrs now). I use mine with a 7t and 20b, all in wood cabinets and a love the sound and looks.

So, heed the advice in post 2 and 3.

I bought a 250 off CL that hadn't been used in 20 years. My local tech told me everything was in spec and good to go. I have been ruining it often with a 3300 and 7t for about 3 years now and it performs excellent:thumbsup:

Ohh! so mixed feelings huh?. I thought they were good those amps!. Of course, if they were butchered by a ''good tech'' it's not
Marantz's fault but why was it ''fixed'' in the first place? simple recap? or a problem?...

There's a bunch of info over at the DIYaudio forum if you search, but basically the amps run with very little margin. Some will be fine for a long time, others age a bit, get a bit warm and flash, that's the end. That's not the hallmark of a good design, but there were multiple service bulletins that addressed some issues, and others have come up with mods to improve the situation further. Sound-wise it's a good amp, not hi-end great but not at all bad. If you like the Marantz look (and I do) it scores pretty high.

Yes Conrad, i was just looking at some horror stories on DIY Audio :(, scares me a weeee lil bit .
I think most of us, old timers are liking those 250's and 510's for the nostalgia it brings back. They bring a lot of money
at the Bay but not sure i want to look for trouble :smoke:.
Thanks guys!

I like em too!!
So much so that I actually have all 3 of those models, although my big boy is just a 510(no"M").
The 250 is all apart waiting for me to get time to do a total restore.
Audiobeer just got a 510M , ask him how he likes it!

Bob

I've had a similar experience - bought a used 250 with a channel already out. Took it to a reputable tech, he repaired. Got it home, lasted about 15 minutes before it blew the same channel again.

Now, I checked the Marantz bulletins, and took that amp to another tech with a good rep, and he did the bulletin mods, and when I picked it up, he said there was no way it was going to blow again.

Haven't used it enough, or pushed it hard enough to verify it is now bullet proof.

Oh, and the mods weren't that pricey IMO - less than $200 a couple of years ago.

Oh, and those mods, where to find them?, the right ones!. If there are several bulletins regarding a mod, i'd like to have the final version!.

Check akdatabase.com or Chris's site (faultlineaudio.net) for the bulletins. My recollection is that Chris's site had the better bulletins (usually true when he has them).

I'm in the process (going on six months now) of restoring my 250 that I got in a trade. I got it working again and now slowly recapping, and applying all bulletins.

Check akdatabase.com or Chris's site (faultlineaudio.net) for the bulletins. My recollection is that Chris's site had the better bulletins (usually true when he has them).

I'm in the process (going on six months now) of restoring my 250 that I got in a trade. I got it working again and now slowly recapping, and applying all bulletins.
Thanks Acetate!, i will brouse the Marantz secrets!. I had a 250 and a 250M on radar but did not win the auction :(.

I have the 510M, 250M, 240 amps. Love them. No issues. Send them all my way please!!!!
my 240 was a dog, have heard they had problems with the transistors, mine would crackle really badly. My 510 (not an M) is a nice amp, very low slew rate, not quick, but keeps up well with the music.

my 250m had all service bulletins done... it has always performed admirably, and sounds as good as it looks... just beautiful!, it is paired to an also minty 3300... if someone knows where to get a couple of wood cases for them... would be much much appreciated!!....

my 250m had all service bulletins done... it has always performed admirably, and sounds as good as it looks... just beautiful!, it is paired to an also minty 3300... if someone knows where to get a couple of wood cases for them... would be much much appreciated!!....
Check with AK member aaron99. I think he is on the verge of producing new WC-2 cases. If not, he may know where to get them.
Steve

Back
Top Bottom