marantz 2600 filter replacement

shroomdog

I was reading the marantz 2600 filter capacitor replacement from vintagesilversmith.com and also the marantz 2600 refurb thread here on AK on restuffing the main filter capacitors.I noticed on the vintagesilversmith write up that they kept the lower array of capacitors neg terminals connected to the uppers array neg terminals . On the 2600 refurb thread , I'm pretty sure the lower array of capacitors positive terminals connected to the upper arrays neg terminals . I know I'm missing something , just don' know what. Thanks for your help , just trying to understand . I really enjoy all the super people here on AK .
Shroomdog

Last edited:
I did the refurb thread and the connections were correct. I just looked up the web page you mentioned and it is wrong! It is at www.vintagesilversmith.com/Marantz/2600/filters/2600_filters.html

That would make one of the sections, the negative one, wired backwards.

Those 1800uF at 160V caps shown in the thread are no longer being made sadly. We may have a hard time on any 2600 rebuilds anymore! I just sourced some Nichicon 100V parts for a 2500 rebuild as that rating is okay.

Thanks for replying Randy , I have 16 of the caps for my 2600 and you helped me awhile back on the caps for the 2500 . The way you wired the 2500 refurb and 2600 refurb made sense to me . The vintagesiversmith way confused me although that doesn't take much for me ! I was looking for more caps for the 2500 for my brothers and I thought they were getting harder to find , did you source them from the digikey , mouser?Thanks for setting me straight.
shroomdog

Replacing the filter capacitors on my 2500 is on the todo list for this receiver.
The current values are 7200uf X2 100V. I've read several threads on re-stuffing
these but it seems some of the capacitors that were used are no longer available.

The capacitors mentioned previously , 647-LGU2A182MELA, are still available,
and requires a total of 16 and a lot of wiring. I've been searching through the
capacitors on Mouser, and came across this Nichicon : 647-LLS2A682MELC
The capacitance is only slightly lower at 6800uf , still 100V, and it has an 85 C temp rating.
I think this might also work (for the 2500) and would simplify the work needed.

Is there any advantage to using four caps in parallel for each section vs one larger cap ?

Back
Top Bottom