Marantz 4025 Cassiever

Divotdog

"I can fix it Grampa"
Picked this up yesterday at an estate sale, I was in need of a new garage receiver for testing any new toys, hooked it up to a couple of Infinitys and was pleasantly surprised at the sound, I had to hook an old Akai cassette to it as the belts in the Marantz are bad, just wondering if anyone had changed the belts in one of these. :scratch2:

Divotdog said:
My expectations were pretty low, and it by no means is going to replace anything in the house, but yes, Really.

I've always heard that was the worst thing made by Marantz during the "glory" days. But, if you like it, so what?

As far as I have experienced, marantz has the easiest belts to replace of any cassette deck I have ever worked on.
Being a casseiver, I dont know however, all that extra mess might be a problem.

I have one. I know no one wants these, but somehow that big monster-sized thing with all the knobs, one of the most attention-getting beasts Marantz made, was too tempting not to play with at a peanuts price, so it followed me home.

I expected a much poorer sound, and like you I was very pleasantly surprised by what it produces. I decided it was a keeper as soon as I heard it. It makes MUSIC! :music: In fact, I like the sound of it enough that I'm gradually investing the time to make a new wooden housing for it and restore it, in between other projects.

Although it doesn't have the volume of some, and isn't quite up there with the bigger guys (like the 2285B), the sound quality is better than many of the lesser 22XX series I've heard. Based on direct comparison, I would put the sound quality on the level of a 2226B or 2230, perhaps better than a 2215 or 2216B; definitely that lush "Marantz" sound, yet with pretty good detail. Better sound than a Pioneer SX-440, for another comparison.

That said, my comparisons don't mean much since my unit hasn't been re-capped, and neither were most of the ones I've compared it with. A more fair and meaningful comparison would only be after complete restoration (of both units compared), including recapping and proper adjustment, so take these comments with a big grain of salt. Eventually, I'll have all my Marantz "babies" re-done, and will then make a more honest comparison. [Maybe at that time I'll admit the 4025 is a comparative "dog"? :scratch2: Still barks fairly sweetly, if it is! :D ]

I think Marantz cut production-cost corners on this unit in areas like the wooden case without any metal case inside, mounting the AM antenna in "nude" form inside the cabinet instead of encasng it and putting it outside etc... but NOT on the essentials that most affect sound quality. Instead of heavy shielding, they spaced components apart and only put shielding where it really mattered. The result is --in qualitative (and admittedly subjective) terms-- still classic Marantz sound.

If you want to know what that "two/three martini" sound is about on a cheap starting-out budget, this is a good unit for finding out, since these go for less than the other Marantz gear of the period. You get the complete "vintage Marantz" visual picture, too: the shiny metal knobs, classic lettering and glowing blue dial. Use it as a tuner/pre with a good power amp, and you'll probably shock the people who think this unit is just rubbish. I've even wondered if NOT having the extra metal shielding around it (which all other Marantz receivers have, AFAIK) perhaps actually helps the sound quality.

Overall, while this model is not the ultimate audiophile statement, it is an under-appreciated sleeper for a "smaller" receiver, and the cassette section just adds some fun and makes it more visually impressive and decorative. I haven't finished restoring the cassette section, so I can't comment on its sound quality. I wouldn't expect too much from it, though. The likes of the 5020, 5030, or SD-5025 would sound better, judging from what is inside of them.

Some disassembly is required to put in a new belt, but it isn't too bad. :D

I almost bought a second "parts" unit, but it sold while I was deliberating. I know where there is another for sale, but they want $60 for it :no: Anyway, I will buy another if I see it at a low enough price. I'd also wager that If you fully restored and set one of these up so people could hear it, you'd get a lot more money for one than they usually sell for.

Arkay said:
I have one. I know no one wants these, but somehow that big monster-sized thing with all the knobs, one of the most attention-getting beasts Marantz made, was too tempting not to play with at a peanuts price, so it followed me home.

I expected a much poorer sound, and like you I was very pleasantly surprised by what it produces. I decided it was a keeper as soon as I heard it. It makes MUSIC! :music: In fact, I like the sound of it enough that I'm gradually investing the time to make a new wooden housing for it and restore it, in between other projects.

Although it doesn't have the volume of some, and isn't quite up there with the bigger guys (like the 2285B), the sound quality is better than many of the lesser 22XX series I've heard. Based on direct comparison, I would put the sound quality on the level of a 2226B or 2230, perhaps better than a 2215 or 2216B; definitely that lush "Marantz" sound, yet with pretty good detail. Better sound than a Pioneer SX-440, for another comparison.

That said, my comparisons don't mean much since my unit hasn't been re-capped, and neither were most of the ones I've compared it with. A more fair and meaningful comparison would only be after complete restoration (of both units compared), including recapping and proper adjustment, so take these comments with a big grain of salt. Eventually, I'll have all my Marantz "babies" re-done, and will then make a more honest comparison. [Maybe at that time I'll admit the 4025 is a comparative "dog"? :scratch2: Still barks fairly sweetly, if it is! :D ]

I think Marantz cut production-cost corners on this unit in areas like the wooden case without any metal case inside, mounting the AM antenna in "nude" form inside the cabinet instead of encasng it and putting it outside etc... but NOT on the essentials that most affect sound quality. Instead of heavy shielding, they spaced components apart and only put shielding where it really mattered. The result is --in qualitative (and admittedly subjective) terms-- still classic Marantz sound.

If you want to know what that "two/three martini" sound is about on a cheap starting-out budget, this is a good unit for finding out, since these go for less than the other Marantz gear of the period. You get the complete "vintage Marantz" visual picture, too: the shiny metal knobs, classic lettering and glowing blue dial. Use it as a tuner/pre with a good power amp, and you'll probably shock the people who think this unit is just rubbish. I've even wondered if NOT having the extra metal shielding around it (which all other Marantz receivers have, AFAIK) perhaps actually helps the sound quality.

Overall, while this model is not the ultimate audiophile statement, it is an under-appreciated sleeper for a "smaller" receiver, and the cassette section just adds some fun and makes it more visually impressive and decorative. I haven't finished restoring the cassette section, so I can't comment on its sound quality. I wouldn't expect too much from it, though. The likes of the 5020, 5030, or SD-5025 would sound better, judging from what is inside of them.

Some disassembly is required to put in a new belt, but it isn't too bad. :D

I almost bought a second "parts" unit, but it sold while I was deliberating. I know where there is another for sale, but they want $60 for it :no: Anyway, I will buy another if I see it at a low enough price. I'd also wager that If you fully restored and set one of these up so people could hear it, you'd get a lot more money for one than they usually sell for.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm for the 4025, it needs to be borne in mind that all it was was a lower end receiver and BOTL cassette deck put on one chassis (to reduce cost) so it could be marketed to the bottom of Marantz's market. We used to sell those at our store and so I heard what they sound like new. :tears:

I don't want anyone to be lulled into thinking that this is the "Marantz Sound". It's a "compact stereo" with the Marantz name slapped on....it was an effort by Marantz to go down market and was a complete failure AFAIK. I don't think Standard Radio even made it. In its time, it was a disgrace to people who owned Marantz that diluted the reputation of the brand (what would people think of a cheapo McIntosh Compact?) but was priced too high for the typical low-end buyers it was designed to lure.

The feature set made no pretense about it being "audiophile". In fact, I can't think of a single "audiophile" who had any interest in it whatsoever when I was in audio sales.

However, if you guys like your's, that's fine. But, even the 2215 and 2216 Receivers are considered classics whereas this piece is not. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.

The real sore spot is Cassette Deck part of this unit. It's performance would have been the lowest end of the Marantz Cassette Deck line if sold seperately, so one has to wonder why bother getting it in a Casseiver in the first place? What point is a combination of an OK-sounding low-powered Receiver with a BOTL Cassette Deck? I didn't understand it when it first came out and I don't understand it now.

So, that's why it goes for next to nothing. It is what it is. It was "Marantz does Soundesign"....of interest for its novelty and the foolishness of the overall concept.

I have had the hood up now, the belt doesn't look to bad to change, I may have to give it a go, I certainly can't figure out how to pull the label off! It seems to be fairly well built, lots of room for working on it :thmbsp: Arkay, I would like to see some updates on your case as you get it built

:ntwrthy: :ntwrthy: :ntwrthy: :ntwrthy: :ntwrthy: :ntwrthy:
4025.jpg

:drool: :drool: :drool:
I was just toying with hooking my TT up to it, put on a DSOTM and give it a real test :banana:

Divotdog said:
:drool: :drool: :drool:
I was just toying with hooking my TT up to it, put on a DSOTM and give it a real test :banana:
I say just make it your main and get it over with, I mean look at it, aint she purty!
You can just use the adcoms in your garage. :banana:

That 4025 sounds WAAYYAAYAAYA better than your silly little adcoms. :yes:
I bet it will make your ohms sing!

Thought about it but then I would have to upgrade my speakers, can't hook those lowly ohms to a cassiever that nice :no:

Divotdog said:
Thought about it but then I would have to upgrade my speakers, can't hook those lowly ohms to a cassiever that nice :no:
You can borrow my friend's technics 3-way speakers. Them thangs is loudz0rz!
15" woofers will roc yo s0x! :music:

Divotdog said:
I think I seen a pair of Yorx at GW yesterday :thmbsp:
YEAH! trash them walsh's and get some real speakas to go wit yo casseiver. It will be the best stereo on AK. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom