Marantz 4230 no lights issue

luaplerog

I bought an old marantz 4230 from a guy who said it was sitting for at least 15 years in his basement...It's super dusty, but it powers on. When i first turned it on only half of the lights worked. I turned it off and went to change the fuse bulbs. When i powered it back up the fuse in the middle blew and all of the lights went out. Now when I power it back up none of the lights work. All of the light fuses have been replaced with LED bulbs, but still nothing...So both the fuse bulbs and the small light bulbs above them don't work...Other then that the channels all seem to work...

Any advice on what to check? Is there another fuse that controls the lights somewhere on the receiver? I know I saw another similar thread about a different marantz and it had a fuse near the power supply that needed to be changed. Does the 4230 have this as well? If so, where would it be?

I'm not very tech savy so any advice is much appreciated.

Would a service manual help?
https://www.hifiengine.com/hfe_downloads/index.php?marantz/marantz_4230_service.pdf
You may have to start an account with them. All free and painless.
Hope this is helpful,,I would check for presence of voltage (DC) on light power rail,
make sure LEDs are correct polarity and look for fuse from PS..SM may point in the right direction.
That link doesn't work for me.

System Message

The file appears to have been called from an unauthorized website.

Only links called directly from pages on the Vinyl Engine or HiFi Engine websites can be processed. If you have received this message after following a link from one of these sites, please report the problem in the download section of the forum.

Sorry my bad...tried to upload the service manual...too large. Go to hifiengine and search for it. Sourcing a link was a bad idea too, sorry about that.

...And, remarkably, they appear to be unfused. Hopefully they have all simply burned out, and the transformer secondary winding is still intact.

What were the OEM bulb sizes ie volts/milliamps and what LED's did you use. Dropping resistors?
Oem were 8v 200ma. bought the same ones. they're not blown. just seems like their not getting any power. Is there a fuse somewhere i need to replace to get all of the lights to come on?

Is there a fuse somewhere i need to replace to get all of the lights to come on?
Doesn't appear to be a fuse. Need to verify if the two leads from the transformer have any AC voltage on them. Can you post a photo of the power transformer wiring?

Doesn't appear to be a fuse. Need to verify if the two leads from the transformer have any AC voltage on them. Can you post a photo of the power transformer wiring?
I'm not really tech savy so if it's anything that needs to be checked for power i'll probably have to take it to someone.

Attachments

• 4230.jpg
    4230.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 25
What LED's did you install. They may not work very well with the AC power.

I'm not really tech savy so if it's anything that needs to be checked for power i'll probably have to take it to someone.
Just have whomever t-shoot the lamp circuit. And verify that the secondary AC winding for the lamps is still working.

Oh yes, they do. They all get their power from the same transformer winding. All it takes is one wire disconnected or grounded out. To shut down the whole string of lights.
No, I meant I think it's the whole string of lights that's the issue, not just a couple fuses. So if a couple of the fuse bulbs were wrong, the bi-pin lights should've still powered on. So I think the issue is that the whole string of lights is not getting any power.

Remove one of the fuse style LED assemblies. And measure for AC voltage across the fuse clips.

Back
Top Bottom