Marantz 4230 proper speaker set up/settings

luaplerog

I just got the 4230 up and running. I'm trying to figure out the proper set up for speakers on this thing. I've never had a quad receiver and am pretty confused as far as speaker set up goes.

I tested the main front and the remote front channels and they both seem to work perfectly.
When i plugged into the rear channels I get nothing. Am I setting it up wrong or are the channels dead?
What should the settings be for the speaker set up (Power mode, remote control, etc...)

Any help is appreciated!

Did you set the power mode switch on the rear of the amp to x4 that's where it needs to be for quad x2 is for stereo.

Set it to phono if you are using a table and to vari matrix if you speakers hooked to the rear channels they should work. You only have 12 watts per channel in quad so you can't drive power hungry speakers

Set it to phono if you are using a table and to vari matrix if you speakers hooked to the rear channels they should work. You only have 12 watts per channel in quad so you can't drive power hungry speakers
I only have 2 sets of 8ohm speakers. Maybe thats the problem? I think the rear channel may be dead...If i only plug in rear speakers I'm still not getting anything. I tried following the manual but I'm a novice so it's just confusing. :dunno:

If the rears are connected to the main speakers panel not the remote it should be working. I'm not a tech just have a marantz quad and am familiar with how they work. Hopefully a tech will chime in and help. I'm assuming. You just got it, if the previous owner didn't use it for quad the balance sliders could just be dirty from not being used. You should start by cleaning them with deoxit I use the fader lube on my sliders. Cleaning all the pots and switches is probably a good idea . There are some threads about cleaning with deoxit just search for them. I think deoxit for dummies might get some results

If the rears are connected to the main speakers panel not the remote it should be working. I'm not a tech just have a marantz quad and am familiar with how they work. Hopefully a tech will chime in and help. I'm assuming. You just got it, if the previous owner didn't use it for quad the balance sliders could just be dirty from not being used. You should start by cleaning them with deoxit I use the fader lube on my sliders. Cleaning all the pots and switches is probably a good idea . There are some threads about cleaning with deoxit just search for them. I think deoxit for dummies might get some results

I bought it a few weeks back. Just had another audiokarma user walk me through fixing the lights a couple days ago. I had to solder in a new fuse. I've cleaned the whole thing out with deoxit already. I'm pretty sure the rear channel is dead at this point. Thanks for your help. I'll wait and see if a tech comments. I'd need someone to walk me through step by step to diagnose/fix the issue as I'm not great at this stuff.

Wouldn't hurt to clean again I've had a couple of receivers that I bought that I had to clean the balance pots a few times before they worked right they can get pretty dirty

Besides the main fuse, all four channels have their own seperate fuse. Are they all good? There are two on each amp board.

Besides the main fuse, all four channels have their own seperate fuse. Are they all good? There are two on each amp board.
Just found a toasted transistor. Maybe thats the issue?
Anyone know where I can find proper replacement?

Transistor: C1384 Q13

Attachments

• c1384.jpg
    c1384.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 38
I'm not seeing fuses on the amp boards, but I'm a novice so I might've missed something.

You're correct. I have the 4240 and thought they would be similar but they're not. I went to hifi-engine.com and downloaded your service manual, it also includes the schematics and explanations of how each section works. Do that if you haven't already. Just create a username and password, everything is free. Maybe one of our more techy people can help you with that transistor.

You should recap your amp before all.
For the toasted 2SC1384 transistor: I guess you noticed the two blown (or almost) resistors which must be checked (the service manual will give you the values; make sure you replace with correct power).
The transistor has a few direct subs (check the alltransistors.com site) if no exact replacement can be found. The real question is why it blew if anything caused the fault and is likely to blow the new transistor you'll put.
I recently got a 4230 which had lots of DC at the outputs. Also had to change all bias/dc trimmers on the output boards. All drift over time and can generate stability issues especially with the bias ones which are too high in value (in my opinion). When measuring them, I found one or a few K-ohms difference between the measure accross both ends and the sum of the measures between the cursor and each end.
Bias setting is tight with the 500 ohms trimmers. You may lower them to enlarge the portion where the correct bias is obtained (15mV). For example, if your bias sets at 40K, a 500K trimmer can be replaced by a 100K. This eases the adjustments, and also reduces the drifts in the future. When I set the bias on mine, the tiniest move (and I know how to handle this) made it change very easily. But once it's set, you don't have to worry.

Back
Top Bottom